Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
1981 National Championship Game
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1

1981 National Championship Game

Feb 24, 2017, 9:02 PM

Nothing to do this Friday night, so I decided to watch the 1981 National Championship Game. I enjoyed it immensely. Three fun takeaways:

1. It was nice being reminded just how great Clemson's defense was that year.
2. It was neat hearing all the retired NFL players' names called that was on that field for both teams.
3. Never realized how much Deshaun Watson looks like a young Perry Tuttle (at least to me).

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: 1981 National Championship Game

Feb 24, 2017, 9:14 PM

Is it on the internet? I'd like to watch it

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 24, 2017, 9:19 PM

Yes. YouTube has the whole game.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 24, 2017, 10:39 PM [ in reply to Re: 1981 National Championship Game ]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7h0nLg7wrW4

Feb 25, 2017, 5:40 AM

Wow and thank you! So many videos have been removed now that I didn't think it would be available. I was a child when we won the first recognized NC and I'm ashamed to admit that I've never watched it, however I broke the piggy bank to make sure that didn't happen this time. Go Tigers!

Feb 24, 2017, 9:30 PM

I went to the game. My girlfriend and I....future wife....were standing outside the Orange Bowl when a long black car pulled up. We had on our orange tee shirts...and out of the car stepped Strom Thurmond. I knew who he was and there was a little stir among the people milling around. He got out of the car and walked over to my girlfriend and hugged her. We got a real kick out of that.

After the game I'll never forget coming down the stairwell of the old Orange Bowl and the crowd was snail pacing the descent......alternately LOUDLY doing the 1234..1234...C.L.E.M.S.O.N. in cadence count cheer ...and WERE NUMBER ONE!! chant. The echo was reverberating off the concrete canyon of the stairwell and went on for what seemed like a good twenty minutes. We...and everyone of all ages were delerious. It was a real highlight of my life and I will never forget it.

I'm getting goosebumps remembering it now.

Next moring we ate at the IHOP and ran into Bob Trumpy and the other announcer who did the game....can't remember his name.

Danny Ford...due credit to Charlie Pell, as well....had the Tigers on top. I think Dabo may just keep them going this time. Viva Dabo....Viva Danny ......I Love Clemson !!!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 24, 2017, 10:21 PM

Great story. Thanks for sharing. I was at home watching it on a black and white TV ... LOL!

Feb 24, 2017, 10:51 PM [ in reply to Re: 1981 National Championship Game ]

Don Criqui Was lead announcer

Feb 24, 2017, 11:02 PM

Those in Charleston may know Boston John. He calls in to a local radio sports show. He was part of the NBC broadcast team in 1982. He said they had a production meeting a few days before the game and they thought clemson was in NC. He said after the game they all knew everything about Clemson . He said it was an eye opening experience for the broadcast team.

Feb 25, 2017, 4:15 PM [ in reply to Re: 1981 National Championship Game ]

You're right...it was Criqui.

Feb 24, 2017, 11:38 PM [ in reply to Re: 1981 National Championship Game ]

Don Criqui I think

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 25, 2017, 10:22 AM [ in reply to Re: 1981 National Championship Game ]

John Brodie was color man in the booth.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Feb 25, 2017, 4:19 PM

Yeah, I guess all three....Brodie, Trumpy and Criqui were working the game.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Orange_Bowl_broadcasters

Home side 40, 12th row, just behind the DLs and LBs...

Feb 24, 2017, 11:52 PM

I could barely talk the next morning. At some point in the third quarter I apologized to the young lady in front of us for yelling so loud. She told me she was a lifelong Miami resident but from now on, she was a Clemson fan... It was a heck of a game.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

1981 Clemson-Ga was a great one too...

Feb 25, 2017, 4:35 AM

You just KNEW we had an awesome D after watching that game. I think it was the 3rd one of the season, and the first major test of that year.

Feb 25, 2017, 5:51 AM

Watched it as a kid on TV.

Feb 25, 2017, 8:45 AM

Drove to the game from Sptbg Holiday Inn with 4 friends. Tickets were ~$45-50. Stayed at Doral Beach Hotel. Went sailing (1st time) from the beach on a catamaran. Played Doral CC. Ate at Joe's Stone Crab. Beat a very arrogant Nebraska. Knew we'd win when we scored first. Great Tiger D. Cops had to make us leave Orange Bowl. Sang "Celebrate, Come On" as we left stadium. Bought souvenir Natty clock that night in hotel lobby which hangs on my wall next to my 2016 Natty plaque. Great memories. Go Tigers!

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 16
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic