Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
1977 N.D. Game (Memory Lane)
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 1

1977 N.D. Game (Memory Lane)

Nov 17, 2020, 5:28 AM

I was at this game, Joe Montana lead N.D. back to win. I was a senior in H.S. at Wren and H.S. football players could get into home games for $1 and sit on the hill. They had a gate where you would meet your coach, give him your dollar and he would get his players a ticket. In my case Coach Jack King. Take a look at this and read through the names of the players, my favorite part is the ads,

https://tigerprints.clemson.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?referer=https://www.google.com/&httpsredir=1&article=1130&context=fball_prgms

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: 1977 N.D. Game (Memory Lane)

Nov 17, 2020, 8:03 AM

Thanks for posting. Loved looking through the program and the ads. Good feature on Bennie Cunningham on page 10. One of the Clemson greats

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 17, 2020, 8:49 AM

Bennie was a great guy too. Very humble. Came from a good family. He would not only be our TE starter if he were playing in this era, he would still excell. He had good hands and was a load to try to block or bring down!

I was at the game too as a CU senior. It was a tremendous game. We were leading very late until Montana pulled off 2 late scores in the 4th quarter. I also vividly remember all the press focusing on ND coach Dan Devine and his whining about the crowd noise in Death Valley during the pregame lead up several days before the game. Well, his whining insured a very loud Clemson fan base. Devine made Dave Doeren look good.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 17, 2020, 10:59 AM

Me and a friend climbed a tree that used to be on the hill and watched that game sitting on a tree limb.

Nov 17, 2020, 11:03 AM

I was there and sitting in the end zone with my older sister. My memory is of Dan Divine flipping a bird at all the Clemson fans as he left the field after the game.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 17, 2020, 8:10 PM

My wife and I took my Mom and Dad and our 4 yo daughter. We sat in the temporary metal bleachers under the tree that used to be on the hill on the home side. A very chilly blew all day. Fortunately my mom kept our daughter happy by taking her to the concession stand and toilet.

Dan Divine was an arrogant SOB who intimidated the refs into taking back a critical flag on ND.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 17, 2020, 8:10 PM [ in reply to Re: 1977 N.D. Game (Memory Lane) ]

My wife and I took my Mom and Dad and our 4 yo daughter. We sat in the temporary metal bleachers under the tree that used to be on the hill on the home side. A very chilly blew all day. Fortunately my mom kept our daughter happy by taking her to the concession stand and toilet.

Dan Divine was an arrogant SOB who intimidated the refs into taking back a critical flag on ND.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was a freshman at Clemson in 1977. If Ken Calicutt did not

Nov 17, 2020, 10:45 AM [ in reply to Re: 1977 N.D. Game (Memory Lane) ]

have two fumbles deep in ND territory in the first half, we would have been up 24-7 instead of 10-7. We were up 17-7 in the forth quarter, and if not for Fuller's fumble around midfield when it was 17-14, we likely win.

It was fun getting revenge at ND in 1979.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah, I've downloaded a few of those old programs...

Nov 17, 2020, 9:01 AM

they are indeed a trip down memory lane. Not just the players & coaches, other names and faces. Even the business ads bring back memories... I actually LOL'd when I saw Western Sizzlin' Steakhouse... they had a back door, me & my roommate used to pull the old "D&D" there (dine & dash).

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A drunk will run a STOP sign, but a stoner will wait for it to turn green.

Re: Yeah, I've downloaded a few of those old programs...

Nov 17, 2020, 11:01 AM

My Father who passed a way about 6 years ago, and played for Howard 1956-59, collected game programs ever since then. My mother has them in boxes in the basement. I would love to find someone that thinks there is some value in buying the whole collection from my mother. Anyone that has ever wanted to look at them decides that want to "cherry-pick" specific games and etc. Mom isn't willing to do that. After seeing this post by the OP, I thought someone might want to put up a site with all the Game Programs available for viewing like the ND game that is subject of this thread. Anyway, MOM is 81 years old, and none of u,their three kids, have the time or knowledge to do this.
I am sure that it would be a lot of work. If anyone wants to take the whole "shooting match" of these programs, I could ask mom what she would take for them. It would be a cool site, if someone could/would do it. I am thinking buy them all for 2.50 per program is more than reasonable. And know that isnt , your choice for 2.50 each. The collectors out there, just want to take advantage of Mom.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 17, 2020, 3:50 PM

I was at this game too. Heading into it, I remember the attitude of fans, and I think players alike, was incredibly positive. There seemed to be a level of confidence - something like this: "Clemson IS going to win. The only remaining question is - by how much?"

It was immeasurably euphoric that day. I remember the DV crowd booing the heck out of Dan Devine when he wandered way out on the field to protest to the officials. Whether he was penalized or not, I can't totally recall, but I think he was. Whatever happened, it must have served as the catalyst to motivate Montana and the team to find a way to prevail. It was a huge disappointment losing to the Irish that day, when it seemed for the vast majority of the time, Clemson would win.

Still, a powerfully vivid memory and hard to believe it was 43 years ago.

Nov 17, 2020, 7:01 PM

I remember it like it was yesterday. I was a freshman in ME and also in Tiger Band. The big thing was the “silent treatment” because it was all over the local press how Dan Devine complained about the crowd noise. We did the entire pre-game show - spelling out Tigers, dotting the I and forming the tunnel without ever playing a note. The team ran down the hill in complete silence. It was surreal. Then on kickoff the crowd erupted. I’ll never forget it.

Nov 17, 2020, 9:55 PM

I was there too. It was a Blustery day if I remember right. South UD was under construction.

Nov 17, 2020, 11:01 PM

What a great Game (minus the loss). It was a Chilly day and the Tiger Faithful were as LOUD as ever! If my fading memory serves me correct, the Doobie Brothers were there and played Littlejohn that night.

Replies: 13
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic