Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: Swinney not a big fan of expanding Playoff: "Every game matters"
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 25
| visibility 1

TNET: Swinney not a big fan of expanding Playoff: "Every game matters"

Dec 24, 2020, 1:01 PM

Swinney not a big fan of expanding Playoff: "Every game matters"

The College Football Playoff Committee has come under fire since Sunday’s reveal of the top four teams, with many people saying that the format is outdated and needs to include more teams. Clemson head coach Dabo Swinney thinks an expanded field takes away from the importance of regular-season games. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Becomes less important”, I guffaw

Dec 24, 2020, 1:13 PM

Surely one can see the folly of this argument. THE Ohio State University gets in playing half their shed-yule yet CC unseated, 10 games and Cinnc undefeated does not, this is silly.

All games are important no matter the number in the playoff, simply because the top 8 teams get in and that’s based on record, so therefore all the games are important, since that’s how you get in

Makes no sense at all, and now the song

https://youtu.be/J1sYN0PuRs4

Message was edited by: OhWiseOne®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Becomes less important”, I guffaw

Dec 24, 2020, 1:27 PM

I think A&M, Cincy, Coastal Carolina, Indiana, & BYU lived up to the same every-game-matters standard as Clemson. They deserve a shot to decide things on the field.

8 team playoffs (and a reduction in the # of scholarships) would make college football better for players, fans, schools, etc - everybody except the 3 or 4 teams with a blueblood stranglehold at the top. If they really are superior, let them prove it - on the field.

#1 Reducing scholarships takes away opportunities for many deserving student athletes

Dec 24, 2020, 2:18 PM

to get their college paid for. No team outside of Clemson, Alabama or Ohio State is going to win the national championship this year. The regular season and the playoff always bears witness that there is a clear separation between the top two or three teams and the rest of the field. To even think that Coastal or Cincy would be a national champion this year is laughable. Arguing for A&M over ND is a moot point. Alabama already blew them out once and they would do it again. I agree with Swinney. Expansion is a waste of time that:
1) Diminishes the regular season
2) Adds more to the rigorous schedule of the student athlete
3) Creates more opportunity for needless injuries in games that don’t even need to be played to determine an undisputed National Champion

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: #1 Reducing scholarships takes away opportunities for many deserving student athletes***

Dec 24, 2020, 7:47 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: #1 Reducing scholarships takes away opportunities for many deserving student athletes

Dec 26, 2020, 9:20 AM [ in reply to #1 Reducing scholarships takes away opportunities for many deserving student athletes ]

I agree and disagree. I agree with the fact that you would have some more blowouts with the top 2 and number 7 and 8.

I still think every game would matter though as you could lose one but you are not getting in with 2 losses in general. It would add more excitement because more teams are involved late.

I am not a you get in because you won your conference person either, because that is a 1 game championship. I would not be ok with a 3 loss coastal team upsetting Clemson in the ACCCG and they get in and we don’t. The conference championship game has to just be looked at as part of the total body of work.

Dec 24, 2020, 1:39 PM [ in reply to "Becomes less important”, I guffaw ]

I guess you have the right screen name OhWiseOne to answer this question, which one of the top 4 playoff teams do you believe Coastal Carolina could actually beat???

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 24, 2020, 8:09 PM

THE Ohio State University.

Re: Becomes less important”, I guffaw***

Dec 24, 2020, 8:12 PM [ in reply to "Becomes less important”, I guffaw ]

I find y’all’s argument arrogant...

Dec 24, 2020, 8:17 PM [ in reply to "Becomes less important”, I guffaw ]

ie “Surely a team from the Mountain West could not beat a team for the ACC, SEC ... we have the FINEST players on work release”. Again, its arrogant. Let ‘em play and PROVE it. Why ?

Re: TNET: Swinney not a big fan of expanding Playoff: "Every game matters"

Dec 24, 2020, 1:19 PM

I agree with Coach Swinney -- the college game as we once ""knew it"" will never be the same again and you never know what to expect next ??? -- looking at the bowl games ( with all the players opting out,after playing the season, why ??? ) ____ the transfer portal is over run with players wanting to change schools ( mostly for playing time ?? ) ___ and soon,players will be paid for ""likeness and tweet hits"" ??? _____ game tickets for the CFP cost what Super Bowl tickets cost a few years back $$$ -- just will never be the same, is that good ??? Is that bad ???? ___ I don't know ??? __ I'm getting too old to worry or care,but still love to watch my Tigers and hope they never lose another game*** __________GO TIGERS !!!!

Dec 24, 2020, 1:35 PM

Dabo is right as usual!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

needs to be expanded

Dec 24, 2020, 2:47 PM

Until the field is large enough to include smaller conference champs the post season isnt as exciting as it could be. Expanding to 8 would only give the committee the room to add all the 2 loss big conference teams. The field really need to go to 12 with top 4 week 1 bye or 16. Shorten the regular season by 1 out of conference game or even their conference championship and make a real tournament. Big conferences could have their east-west champs and several small conferences could have their champions represented.

better yet exand to 64 teams just to make sure***

Dec 24, 2020, 4:04 PM

Some things are better left unsaid***

Dec 24, 2020, 2:58 PM

Dec 24, 2020, 3:24 PM

I suspect Dabo would be singing a different song had Clemson been in Texas A&M's position. I'm in favor of the FCS approach. If not that, it should include all FBS conference champs and a handful of others. Tough to leave some quality one-loss teams out of it. And I am a Clemson alum...

Dec 24, 2020, 3:52 PM

Well, this year without changing the rules, OSU would be out and a&M in. It’s that simple

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Bowl games have been made pretty much meaningless

Dec 24, 2020, 4:03 PM

go ahead and expand to 8 games and get rid of the bowls.

All ready new year's 6 bowls are meaningless. The only new years bowls that matter are the playoffs

Yeah agreed. We are already at the “they are meaningless” stage

Dec 26, 2020, 9:57 AM

So it’s best to expand to 8 so that we have more meaningful games as opposed to just the 3 big ones now.

Dec 24, 2020, 4:24 PM

The right # is 6. 5 conference champs and highest ranked non power 5 team. #1 and #2 get a bye. <--That's how you make the season count. The better out of conference competition, the higher the ranking.

That would be the only way I would go with 6. Win your

Dec 24, 2020, 4:50 PM

conference or shut up. But should the non-power 5 get a slot automatically? What if they don't have a good team?

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: That would be the only way I would go with 6. Win your

Dec 24, 2020, 8:56 PM

Yes, I think they should. There's is usually one in the top 25. I am OK with them having a shot at being the champion. I think we get hung up on the "best" teams. That's too subjective and it opens the door to bias (intentional or unintentional). We can debate who is the "best" forever and a day. There are a thousand different ways to argue that but no real way to measure it. They are playing for a championship. Just my opinion.

Re: 6

Dec 24, 2020, 7:54 PM [ in reply to 6 ]

100% agree

Dec 24, 2020, 4:45 PM

I agree with 4. These kids can only play so many games. It's already a grind. Teams can't afford to give up a game every season. Also, taking away a game from everyone so 4 more teams can be in the playoffs isn't a good solution.

Confreces are not going to give up championship games. Many time the conf champ game serves as a 1st round, not every year but most. Set up a playoff for the other 5 conferences.

If not 4 then 8, not 6. A bye in a BB tourney is one thing, in football it is a massively huge advantage. Was everyone ok with 'bamer getting in without playing in their conference championship. As I recall it was nearly unanimous on Tnet, 'bamer got an unfair advantage not having to play, resting players, avoiding injuries, more prep time.

How will folks feel when 'bamer and ocryo st get byes because they pass the eye test, and we have to play the extra game.

Don’t think they will ever go to a scenario where

Dec 24, 2020, 5:08 PM

Power Five champions are in. Too afraid some outlier like Iowa or Baylor would win a conference championship. Ergo lower ratings less money.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 26, 2020, 10:34 AM

Dabo knows that if you simply expand to 8 there will be Clemson, OSU, one random team and 4 SEC teams every year. The pro SEC media is pushing this for that very reason. Now I personally disagree with expansion but if you're going up do it it needs to be the five conference champions and three at large bids with no more than two from any conference. Expansion to 8 will almost never get teams like Coastal, or even Cincinnati, into the playoffs so anyone using that argument is being disingenuous.

Replies: 25
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic