Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
" Old Sayings" and Maybe Some Truth
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 26
| visibility 1

" Old Sayings" and Maybe Some Truth

Dec 2, 2020, 9:06 PM

Sent to me by a friend.

I miss the good old day when you could actually have an opinion without offending anybody.

It is better to have a friend with two chins than to have one with two faces.

You really don't realize how old you are until you sit on the floor and then try to get back up.

Spend time with your elders, not everything can be found on Google.

I'm so old I can remember when multiplication was called "times tables".

I'm so old that when I was a kid, we had to actually win to get a trophy.

I survived playing in the mud, getting spanked, rusty play grounds, second hand smoke, smoking "rabbit" tobacco, toy guns, lead paint, no seat belts, no helmets, drinking water from the hose and a lot of other stuff that we are not supposed to do today.

Kids today will never know the joy of laying around and reading the Sunday funnies.

When I was a kid, I did not need an elf on the shelf to motivate me to behave during Christmas time. I had a belt on the shelf that motivated me to behave the whole year through.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: " Old Sayings" and Maybe Some Truth

Dec 2, 2020, 9:16 PM

Joe those are many true things. I am in my late 40’s and have not experienced the wonderful truths and things that your age bless most of us with. However, I remember reading the Sunday funnies, playing in the cow pasture and drinking from a ladle at my grandfather’s well. Also at Christmas just sitting under the tree and watching the lights sparkle. Then having the church play and getting a bag of fruit as our gift. My how times have changed. I know now why my grandfather always said “Simpler times were the good times!”

Thank you Joe for always sharing with us!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 2, 2020, 9:24 PM

Joe, these are great. You're about the age of my folks. As a little guy I used to get to stand in the middle of the front bench seat. One day a car came around on our side of a curve. When my dad hit the brakes I fell and hit my chin on the dash. I dented the thick metal dash of an early 50's Chevy with my chin. They called the Dr to see if they should bring me in to be checked. He said no just dont let him go to sleep for a while. And that was the extent of my treatment. So I identify with these sayings

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Same here... my seatbelt was my mom's arm thrown up across

Dec 2, 2020, 9:46 PM

my waist when she braked, as I stood up in the front. She had to slam on brakes one time and I hit my head on the metal dash of that 56 Ford, and it left a small dent. I even remember where it was, she was coming out of the Kash-n-Karry parking lot in Greenville. Loved that store, you put your empty coke bottles on a conveyor belt and they magically disappeared into the black abyss...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A drunk will run a STOP sign, but a stoner will wait for it to turn green.

Re: Same here... my seatbelt was my mom's arm thrown up across

Dec 2, 2020, 9:50 PM

TU for the mom “arm restraint”. ??

My head broke the windshield of my father's

Dec 2, 2020, 10:02 PM [ in reply to Same here... my seatbelt was my mom's arm thrown up across ]

'54 Olds - his first car. My mother was scared to death but I didn't even feel a thing.... I was always called 'hard-headed" before that and I guess they were right. And as far as the belt goes - my mother always made us go get our own switch from a cherry tree in the back yard. I don't remember ever getting a single cherry from that tree.

Re: My head broke the windshield of my father's

Dec 2, 2020, 11:41 PM

We had a dogwood in the front yard that my father made us get a switch from. If we tried to get too small of a switch, he would get one twice as big and really light us up.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We had a peach tree right next to the back door that my mom

Dec 3, 2020, 8:34 AM [ in reply to My head broke the windshield of my father's ]

favored for switches. She called them "little keen hickory switches". Green and supple... they made a whistling sound when she swiped the back of my calves. In fact, I would start crying when I heard the back door open... it was a screen door with a spring, you know the sound they make. When I heard that, I knew she was opening that door to cut a switch..... LOL

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My grandma had a Willow tree

Dec 3, 2020, 9:49 AM

Those switches were flexible and wouldn't break. One time when she told me to go get a switch, I took my pocket knife and cut a groove about midways hoping it would snap when she spanked me... but she noticed it & went and picked one herself.

I never tried that again.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mine was a long row of forsythia bushes. Brutal.***

Dec 3, 2020, 9:59 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Dec 2, 2020, 10:15 PM [ in reply to Same here... my seatbelt was my mom's arm thrown up across ]

I had forgot about the Kash n Karry!

And J. M. Fields, Sky City, and Woolco. I also remember at the end of summer our family would drive down to the Sears & Roebuck in Greenville - where we would buy all our clothes, one pair of shoes each, a notebook, one pkg of paper (500 sheets), and a pack of pencils for school.

And not a one of us wearing a seat belt.

As for switches, we always had to get our own - from the hedge that hid the outhouse - for mom to use.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

Dec 2, 2020, 11:37 PM

We knew we had really messed up when my mother would say, "You're going to get it when your father gets home from work." She was right too.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 3, 2020, 3:58 AM

We knew we had really messed up when my mother would say, "You're going to get it when your father gets home from work." She was right too.

Really bad when your dad was a long haul truck driver. I think Tom Petty had it right “the waiting is the hardest part”.

Dec 2, 2020, 11:34 PM [ in reply to Same here... my seatbelt was my mom's arm thrown up across ]

Do you remember the laundry across from Kash and Karry that exploded , killing several people and breaking windows in the neighborhood ? Can't recall the name .

>Do you remember the laundry across from Kash and Karry

Dec 3, 2022, 6:42 PM

That kinda rings a bell, but not positive. I do remember this... there were a bunch of signs up high behind the cash registers at Kash-n-Karry... I guess you'd call them "inspirational". I've never forgotten this one: A Man Never Stood So Tall As When He Stooped To Help Another".

Dec 2, 2020, 9:40 PM

Well said Joe. I am a bit behind you, but I remember all those. Your rabbit tobacco reminded me of smoking Indian cigars from a Catawba tree. We probably weren't even suppose to have matches.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Enjoyed both of those

Dec 3, 2020, 5:44 AM

But smoking 'grapevine' was a true pleasure. It was actually dead muscadine vine.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

monter le cheval de fer
A coot will usually blink when hit in the head with a ball-peen hammer

Dec 2, 2020, 9:48 PM

Another great post Joe! Plan to pass this on. I haven’t been riding this blue and green rock around as long but these truths resonate. I busted a gut at “belt on a shelf”. Ours actually stayed on the hamper outside the bathroom. My sister and I would freeze in a Pavlovian response whenever we heard the buckle jingle when something was placed in the hamper. Running everything we had done the last few hours/days through our minds wondering. ??

Dec 2, 2020, 10:55 PM

I remember my younger brother was about 4 years old and drank a bottle of my mother's perfume. My brother was out of it and couldn't hold his head up. Mom called the family doctor wanting to know what to do. The doc told her that perfume was mostly alcohol, and my brother was drunk. The doc said to give him some warm milk and let him sleep it off. He ended by saying to tell my brother to let him know before his next drunk so he could join him.

The doc called Mom the next day to check on things, and my brother was back to his normal self.

Dec 3, 2020, 4:06 AM

Thanks NH Tiger! I laughed so hard I cried. What in the hades gets in our minds as kids. Curiosity obviously, mischief? I guess the old adage is true; whatever doesn’t kill us (or siblings/friends) makes us stronger (and leaves us with great stories).

Re: It Sucked Back Then ...But Would Be Sooo Helpful Now ---

Dec 3, 2020, 2:01 AM

"" Get your butt in the house when the street lights come on. ""

Lot of kids today would be alive today if this rule was better enforced.

Re: It Sucked Back Then ...But Would Be Sooo Helpful Now ---

Dec 3, 2020, 3:13 AM

Was raised in Ohio and most our vacations were spent visiting my grandfather in Cottageville. Had White Christmases up there, especially living on a small farm NE of Springfield. My father worked at Wright-Patterson, so fall of 62 had my parents worried. Sat out on the hill behind the house and watched Telstar fly across the evening sky. On vacation, my grandfather would take us down to Jellico's to get a soft drink and maybe go fishing with Catalpa Worms he had. The Edisto was a slow pace back then. Rode on Uncle Ivy's old horse that would leave slow, but as soon as you turned back, the horse would double its pace. No fire ants back then, so laying down in the grass was easy. Remember huge dunes on Isle of Palms. My father transferred to CNSYD in summer of 67 and I had to learn a whole new pace of life. My mother took me in to register to go to high school, and I was asked which High school I wanted to attend. My response was "Excuse me." Segregation was something I had to learn about that was not in my experience from Ohio. My mother explained it so I said OK. Hitch hiked back and forth to football practices, as we lived east of Cottageville. Helped me get into the way of life in a Southern High School. Saw the good and bad and I kept both ends low.

Dec 3, 2020, 4:22 AM

I am 70 years old, and remember a lot of these old sayings.
As Archie Bunker said "Those were the days".
We will never see them again.

Dec 3, 2020, 7:17 AM

You nailed it Joe thanks i needed a good laugh...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Great stuff Joe!

Dec 3, 2020, 7:50 AM

When we lived in Simpsonville, we had a weeping willow tree in the front yard that was our “go get a switch” tree. I remember my brother decided one day to run down the street when told to go get a switch. I can see my Mom chasing him down the street with a weeping willow tree switch in her hand yelling for him to stop.

My grandad had a wood paddle with about eight holes drilled thru it that hung right inside the door to the carpet. He engraved “this is gonna hurt you more than me” just to drive home the point.

I’m grateful I grew up in that era!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgtbn_110.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 3, 2020, 8:35 AM

Thanks Joe21.I love your posts.Mom used the thin belt, stung like crazy.Dad used the wide belt,left bruises.I remember spinning around in circles while they held your arm spanking you.By todays standards all our parents would be in jail for child abuse.The ironic thing is in those days it was called disipline and punishment.If we had this these days the jails would not be at full capacity.

When I was a kid, my dad drove us all over the state,

Dec 3, 2020, 9:29 AM

...to watch high school football games.

I would usually sleep on the way home. My older sister would lay across the rear seat and I would sleep on that large rear deck below the rear windshield of the 66 Chevy Impala. If my dad hit the brakes hard, I would just slid off and land on my sister!

I did not use a seat belt until after I graduated from Clemson.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 26
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic