Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
**Sponsors**Not Schools Pay For Likeness!
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 30
| visibility 1

**Sponsors**Not Schools Pay For Likeness!

Oct 2, 2019, 12:35 PM

https://www.sacbee.com/news/politics-government/capitol-alert/article225561675.html

For what it's worth the way I understand it; Cal-Berkeley will still not have to pay a kid who is a good football player or bad one. But, if the kid is good and his jersey is selling off the racks hand over fist and EA Sports uses him in a game: "he can now reap a portion of the money"!

Nobody has gotten as far as saying Universities will have to pay! So, some of the excitement is a bit premature i.m.o. I know the thought process is: One thing will lead to another! But, let's see how this plays out!
Will sponsors report accurate numbers? Who will look into whether or not the sponsor is sharing properly? If the kid gets an agent then he is back to where it has always been "if a kid gets an agent" I believe.
Waiting and looking at how it plays how here.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oregon will become Nike University(officaily)***

Oct 2, 2019, 12:40 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

Re: **Sponsors**Not Schools Pay For Likeness!

Oct 2, 2019, 12:42 PM

Given the way everything else has played out and selfish human nature, doesn't take a financial genius to figure out where this is headed.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 2, 2019, 12:50 PM

ddclemson said:

Given the way everything else has played out and selfish human nature, doesn't take a financial genius to figure out where this is headed.

Doesn't take a financial genius - but like not putting 50 caliber guns on F4 Phantoms was a gross mis-calculation - it could be this thing is too. It's not what it has been made to be b/c everyone is assuming right now "it's the schools"! And, if your a track athlete in California "who is buying your jersey"? Baseball same question? Over the year you have had kids popular enough to where they could say, "people like my game to the point they want to play with my likeness in a game or they want the jersey I have made popular"! A handful only should probably get something for helping those giants in the apparel and gaming industry make money.

Look deeper into how it is written

Oct 2, 2019, 1:10 PM

More has to be understood about how it has been designed to work. Some of the comments have been very uninformed.
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/01/opinion/california-student-athletes-paid.html

The Top players at the top schools would reap benefits sure. But say Zion Williamson gets career ending injury at Duke last year! Him and his family could have reaped some benefit from all the popularity he has generated. All the clicks he generates. All the interest.

I get the point about where it will lead. But, there are some things maybe people are not taking into consideration as far as that is concerned. Like the number of people who would fall into that category! Using one of our Tigers for example, Cornell Powell, if CU was in Cali. How many people are out there buying 17 jerseys? How many sponsors would he generate?
The vast majority of athletes "don't apply" to what this thing is getting at. It could be kids stop all going to the top schools b/c they want to be the "top seller"! There are other things not being considered.

Zion had an $8 MM loss in value insurance policy

Oct 2, 2019, 1:40 PM

The Chris Webber Jersey vs. Mcdonalds story

Oct 2, 2019, 12:45 PM

Hearing Chris Webber tell the story of how, his parents could barely afford to send him to Michigan even with him on scholarship was crazy. He said, "I walked by the campus bookstore and my jersey is selling for $75 each. But, if I wanted something from to eat after the cafeteria closed I had to borrow money to get something off the dollar menu at Mcdonalds"!
That framed the whole thing to me. To me! It may not for you and I am fine with that. But, seems a bit off that the #4 Michigan jersey sold 2 in 10 years prior to him coming but thousand after he started wearing it or rather during the time he was wearing it"! In that scenario everybody gets their cut but the one who made it popular enough for someone to want to buy it in droves. Say somebody's jersey sells 1 jersey if your a back up, "by the time they mail you your $12 dollars will it be worth it"? But, say Tua Turn-the-ball-ova jersey's are the hottest ticket - don't give him a portion of the money Under Armour is making? Or whoever else?

It's about the branding! The popularization of a jersey. The NCAA and it's schools aren't paying! The same popular outfits who fit those teams will be paying!

Chris Weber was early 90's - his violin story about the

Oct 2, 2019, 1:34 PM

uniforms is not applicable today as the kids get whatever food they want and when they want.

the problems go WAAAAY deeper than that.

Oct 2, 2019, 12:47 PM

selling, sponsorships, agents, advertising, commercials, Networks, etc....

there are hundreds-thousands of cans of worms in each of the words above (and then some) that would DESTROY college football.

the college players don't realize how good they have...........until it goes away.

Re: the problems go WAAAAY deeper than that.

Oct 2, 2019, 1:01 PM

Not to mention the possible repercussions in the locker room. Would team camaraderie be an issue? Would players become more focused on playing time rather than what's best in a particular situation? Would recruiting visits become financial strategy sessions? I see nothing but chaos ahead if this happens.

Re: the problems go WAAAAY deeper than that.

Oct 2, 2019, 1:12 PM

Not to mention the possible repercussions in the locker room. Would team camaraderie be an issue? Would players become more focused on playing time rather than what's best in a particular situation? Would recruiting visits become financial strategy sessions? I see nothing but chaos ahead if this happens.

I don't disagree. Very good questions! And I agree. Could be; but I think this 1st leg needs to play out before everyone starts jumping ship and losing it.

if you give a mouse a cookie.......

Oct 2, 2019, 1:21 PM

once the "pay for play" is instituted in any form or fashion there'd be no turning back........nor could it or would it be regulated.

Oct 2, 2019, 1:25 PM

Yeah "Sponsors"

Let's be clear....the sponsors are the University. Clemson football doesn't exist without the 60k+ sponsors who contribute every year.

Don't be naïve.

Sponsors will equal Boosters which the university will no

Oct 2, 2019, 1:31 PM

longer have control over

Talking about planning ahead...

Oct 2, 2019, 1:35 PM

Saban got ahead of this sponsorship deal early.

https://www.al.com/news/birmingham/2018/01/see_inside_nick_sabans_new_mer.html

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 2, 2019, 1:38 PM

It appears this law will allow a player to set up a table
and charge for signing autographs or set up appearance fees too.

Oct 2, 2019, 1:45 PM

"Hey kid, come to my school! I'll make sure the other boosters and I buy at least $50,000 worth of your merchandise a year!..... not more than our rivals offered?... Ok then, $100,000..."
Can I get a higher bid?

Oct 2, 2019, 2:27 PM

The schools with the most and/or richest alumni will be able to "buy" the players they want. Which schools are in this group?

I can see alumni and boosters hiring players as spokesmen for their companies. I may be wrong on this but aren't dollars spent on advertisement tax deductible?

Follow the money!!!!!!

Oct 2, 2019, 2:36 PM

exactly...how do people not understand this? Schools like Texas, Texas A&M, Michigan, Penn State, and Ohio State will dominate college football. There's no way smaller schools can compete with the money their boosters will be offering recruits.

I hate when people get paid what they’re worth.***

Oct 2, 2019, 7:36 PM [ in reply to Re: **Sponsors**Not Schools Pay For Likeness! ]

Re: I hate when people get paid what they’re worth.***

Oct 2, 2019, 8:22 PM

That's called a professional league. We already have those.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Sponsors" is just another name for Boosters, and this thing

Oct 2, 2019, 2:38 PM

will spiral out of control, with maybe even the Mob getting involved. The future of college football is bleak, best enjoy these next three and a half seasons.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 2, 2019, 6:35 PM

Where I think you guys are missing the boat: this won't be every player! Unless you all are suggesting the best players would get paid regardless of "how popular"? It's still a "pay for performance" so if you aren't performing, why would a booster/sponsor/deck alterations expert just inflate your pocket without "gasp" a contract!
Folks - pro athletes with contracts often don't get the money they want and it's clear and apparent and upfront they play for money. I could go along and see a scenario where a school goes, "kid, if you go there, you will be just another guy, come here and you are the main attraction"! Which might bring parody back to college football. Because thankfully now, since Clemson is head and shoulders leading the way, there isn't much parody.
I'm not slow at all. I saw all the comments and understand fully. I am not naive to any of it. But, for now, I think it's mostly people thinking right off the rip - worst case scenario!

Wow! A Thumbs Down B/C You Disagree W/me? Wow!

Oct 2, 2019, 6:50 PM

Seems a bit "naive and childish" to thumbs down just b/c you don't agree. I am not asking whoever did that to agree with me. I am not the law. I am not in California. And as I stated in the 1st post - not saying one way or the other about agreeing or disagreeing! Just that simply: "some people were posting incorrectly that the school would be paying; and that simply isn't true"!

Oct 2, 2019, 6:55 PM [ in reply to Re: **Sponsors**Not Schools Pay For Likeness! ]

Is parody a freudian slip or do you mean parity?

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 2, 2019, 6:57 PM

CUdude98 said:

Is parody a freudian slip or do you mean parity?

Yes! And yep!

Parity*****

Oct 2, 2019, 7:38 PM [ in reply to Re: **Sponsors**Not Schools Pay For Likeness! ]

Oct 2, 2019, 7:02 PM

Trust me. We all will end up paying. Thats how it always works. Money doesnt just appear to pay for these engagements. The fans are the ones buying the jerseys and autographs.

Im tired of this whole situation. I say let those that want to go pro go pro and make their money. The leftover amateurs can play college ball.

What would be nice is if when you graduate HS you have a choice to go pro or sign a LOI. If you sign a LOI you are committing to be an amateur for some period of time (3 years?). That would allow those that wish to be coached up to focus on that in the college ranks and the sure fire pros can just do whatever.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 2, 2019, 7:25 PM

CUdude98 said:

Trust me. We all will end up paying. Thats how it always works. Money doesnt just appear to pay for these engagements. The fans are the ones buying the jerseys and autographs.

Im tired of this whole situation. I say let those that want to go pro go pro and make their money. The leftover amateurs can play college ball.

What would be nice is if when you graduate HS you have a choice to go pro or sign a LOI. If you sign a LOI you are committing to be an amateur for some period of time (3 years?). That would allow those that wish to be coached up to focus on that in the college ranks and the sure fire pros can just do whatever.

I love your train of thought here. I compare it to the whole - football won't be around 20 years from now b/c of CTE. In that argument, people say, the lawsuits will be such that nobody would be able to afford a team. Or nobody would play. In this situation, using your example - give the player a choice! When you sign up you are in way signing a contract. A contract with the type of verbage you are referring to. I _____________ am an amateur. I will not seek compensation for this season. Or whatever. Just like with the "one and done kids". Everyone thought it was the end of college basketball. Or when Kobe went straight to the league and Garnett and so on. It didn't ruin it - it did change it.
It ensured those at the highest skill level were going to be able to make a choice after a certain time period after H.S.
Choice in choosing to be a true amateur or not is the thing here. People get angry when you talk compensating college athletes - but blatantly ignore the NCAA commercial that tells you plain. "The majority of college athletes will never sign a professional contract"!
And so to will this change football - but not to the lengths people are dreaming! Clemson has proven twice in the last 3 years you don't have to have the composite top ranked class. Or even top 5 class or how about top 10. No Clemson won it with composite #13 in 2016 and composite #11 in 2018.
So what if Oklahoma and Texas and Bama get a few more "sponsored" kids. They will be more worried about their money and not about the team. It will be a distraction. Coaches can still choose who is on their team! Hey, you have to go if that's what you are here for.

I don't agree with the ruling! I am simply saying the opportunity this implodes on the people who everyone assumes will benefit is very real. Let Ohio St. and Bama deal with kids more worried about their next contract. When it comes to bowl season guess what - they will be more concerned about getting ready for the combine. They will show up with the kids who didn't take a snap all year, LOL!

I get the anxiety! We will see.

Oct 2, 2019, 7:29 PM

I'm not sure that it would not be simpler for the University to pay them. At least California did allow 3+ years for things to get ironed out. The kids using their likeness sounds good but they would not be able to associate it with the school without permission because of copyrights. Would kickbacks be allowed to the schools for allowing their apparel in ads? What happens if Adidas sponsors the athlete but Nike sponsors the school if the kid takes off onto the field with his Adidas shoes?

If a state government is allowed to define eligibility standards in this case, what stops them on the next issue? A player cannot meet academic standards so a bunch of graduates from the state university push legislation through requiring that the NCAA lower their academic standards. Even the NCAA has said that player compensation needs to be addressed and maybe the California law is good for forcing the issue, but as a way to do things it has a lot of shortcomings.

Oct 2, 2019, 8:01 PM

The schools pay because they are getting all the money now.

Replies: 30
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic