Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
This is why I voted
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 35
| visibility 1

This is why I voted

Dec 23, 2020, 7:57 AM

for Trump. Hate me for it, but this is exactly why I voted for Trump.

All that money that could be spent on the American people that is going overseas is an embarrassment.

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/1341537886315950080?s=21

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: This is why I voted

Dec 23, 2020, 8:01 AM

Still pretty scumbagish to support Trump. There is no way around that. It's a character flaw.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

More concerning is Trump said he would sign it.

Dec 23, 2020, 8:07 AM

His staff go around and say he would sign it. Everyone's hyping the deal that came from countless hours of negotiations. Then someone points out funding for women's programs in Pakistan, or whatever, and it's a government shut down and no checks.

And you know what happened. Trump saw the coverage of the $10 million spent on women's programs in Pakistan, and he shitcanned the whole thing.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 24, 2020, 2:04 AM [ in reply to Re: This is why I voted ]

Merry Christmas Carlsbad

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

i like my character just fine and

Dec 24, 2020, 2:59 PM [ in reply to Re: This is why I voted ]

don't pretend to question yours

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

$0.03 per American for women's programs in Pakistan was the

Dec 23, 2020, 8:04 AM

last straw. Good for him. Let's hold that line, redo the bill, and then give every American $2000.03.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

well in the end, it all adds up***

Dec 23, 2020, 8:06 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

What adds up is interest on our debt, social security,

Dec 23, 2020, 8:43 AM

Medicare, Medicaid, unemployment benefits, food stamps, etc. Entitlements and interest on our debt, alone, account for 70% of our spending. That's stuff Congress doesn't even vote on. It's not part of the partisan bickering equation. It's just not a debate. People complain about defense spending as being half of our discretionary budget. If interest rates climb to 4%, that alone will make debt servicing a bigger expense than defense. If rates climb to 8%, debt servicing surpasses ALL discretionary spending. And that's just added to the debt, compounding the problem.

The wheels fly off eventually. Gig is up. It's hard to imagine we're even debating sending out checks to people. But we are.

Complaining about earmarks at this point is pointless. It's a diversion, really, always has been. Complain about these outrageous women's programs in Pakistan and ignore the fact we can't afford what we already promised Americans. Then you can blame the Pakistani aid. And this debate has unraveled over the years. We used to complain about pork barrel spending. $200,000 for frog sex experiments, or $310,000 for Spotted Owl habitat, or whatever. They tell you "It all adds up". All the time we were complaining about that, we were ramping up defense spending, and building out the military industrial complex. While you're ticked about frog sex science, the military was bloating, and we won the Cold War that way. Eventually the complaints then went to the military spending. It's out of control. That lasted several years too. Meanwhile, no one is complaining about entitlements. That's been kept out of the debate because of the frog sex atrocities, and the military spending. By having entitlements and "mandatory" spending set aside as a political non-issue, it has allowed the focus of our problems to be presented as discretionary spending. What politicians actually argue about and debate in Congress.

Well, the gig is up. Anyone with half a brain knows it.

So we should pay down our debt and reduce SS. Medicare...

Dec 23, 2020, 8:55 AM

medicaid and other social programs before we cease the distribution of money across the globe. I agree with you but foreign aid should be the first thing we cut. An objective person could accuse you of being eccentric of the solution to our growing debt.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We should do all of the above.

Dec 23, 2020, 9:47 AM

But representing a whopping 0.9% of our spending, I think it should be one of the last things addressed. The biggest problems are addressed first the way I deal with problems. Our biggest problems are the last thing being addressed in Congress. Actually, our biggest problems have not been addressed by Congress. Last time that was tried was with GWB, and it got absolutely nowhere.

Term limits, once again tops my amendment wish list.

I'm just saying that...

Dec 23, 2020, 10:13 AM

before you reduce domestic spending on citizens of America we should stop giving money to everyone else on the planet. America First doesn't apply in this case.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Foreign aid isn't breaking us.

Dec 23, 2020, 11:55 AM

We are breaking ourselves. That's the crux of it. There are people, old people, who have spent their entire lives voting for whoever will give them more of other people's money. When we run out of that, they vote for whoever will spend our kids money on them. Rich people vote for whoever will take less from them, poor people vote for whoever will give them more. In the end, it's that selfishness, and self-interest that makes this a one-way debt street. It's a total lack of understanding of the role of government. We've spent generations telling people government was the solution to everyone's problems.

Need a job, let government "create" one, with other people's money, who actually created jobs. Meanwhile, Congressmen have invested literally careers in office, promising people money. Others have promised people they will take less of their money. Once it's promised, people assume that they can depend on that money. Yet at the end of the day, our government depends on the people to fund it. But the people are never a part of the equation when it comes to vote buying and sunshine pumping.

Anyway, it is what it is. Our nation spent half its existence with no federal income tax. There's a very good reason for that.

Is it going to the women or to the men who oppress them?

Dec 23, 2020, 8:21 AM [ in reply to $0.03 per American for women's programs in Pakistan was the ]

One man is allowed up to four wives. If they get this money they'll probably expand that to five wives. I'm all for it. Any man that can handle two women has my respect, much less four. Imagine trying to take a dump that special week after they reach menstrual synchrony.

Re: Is it going to the women or to the men who oppress them?

Dec 24, 2020, 12:09 AM

If the women does not do what the man says then he will just kill her.

I'll take $2000, where do I sign up

Dec 23, 2020, 6:51 PM [ in reply to $0.03 per American for women's programs in Pakistan was the ]

LOL

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: $0.03 per American for women's programs in Pakistan was the

Dec 24, 2020, 3:20 PM [ in reply to $0.03 per American for women's programs in Pakistan was the ]

All 350,000,000 don’t pay taxes. Only about 150,000,000....not that it makes that big a difference but I’ll take my 7 cents and gladly put it towards these our infrastructure.

Dec 23, 2020, 8:05 AM

Congressional democrats send our money all over the world while throwing hurting Americans peanuts and call it covid relief. The president is right, it’s disgraceful. I will never understand why these sick, immoral people just can’t push a clean bill designed to help Americans.

Dems wanted more $$ for stimulus checks( in June), Republicans would only agree to $600.Try again.***

Dec 23, 2020, 8:20 AM

Did that make sense when you read it?

Dec 23, 2020, 8:23 AM

June was six months ago. Is this hurt not increased over time in your world?

Dec 23, 2020, 10:05 AM [ in reply to Re: This is why I voted ]

Tardog,

How do the Dems get all of the blame here. They have been pushing for more aid to the American people and their state and local governments for months and the Reps have been lowballing them.

And foreign budgets are voted on by ALL of the members of Congress. These budget items being bandied about here were arrived at by both parties.

Dec 23, 2020, 10:39 AM

I don't want to agree with Tobias too many times, but republicans are just as guilty on the foreign spending. Anyone who is a card carrying DC swamp member is part of the problem...plenty of blame to go around.

Dec 23, 2020, 8:05 AM

Pulling out of the Paris climate accord and calling out UN members to start paying their dues were great moves. Unfortunately, that will be undone day one by a pos lifelong politician that has never done anything other than raise taxes.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

On point, but you can say it better t-Mac

Dec 23, 2020, 8:16 AM

All of our tax dollars that could and should be returned to us and fellow Americans.

What is being proposed now is folks who’s paycheck are NEVER in question no matter the economic situation are using OUR money to propel their political standing in other countries rather than taking care of those they apparently work for.

Main point being- it’s not “Government Money”. It’s OUR tax dollars!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How much did a DJT weekend trip to Mar-A-Lago cost?

Dec 23, 2020, 8:28 AM

Or better yet, flying Ivanka and Jared to the world economic forum in Davos. No return to the American people for these boondoggles.

But yes to responsible fiscal management in all aspects of government. Start by giving the POTUS four paid vacation trips per year _ rest is on their ticket.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Prob not any more than Obama's all expense paid trip..

Dec 23, 2020, 8:37 AM

for everyone Michelle knew to Africa.

Weak diversion.***

Dec 23, 2020, 8:43 AM [ in reply to How much did a DJT weekend trip to Mar-A-Lago cost? ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Weak” is selective anecdotal outrage. Think about the ...

Dec 23, 2020, 9:26 AM

underlying root causes not preoccupation with media highlighted symptoms.

Mismanagement of government spending is enormously greater than this $10 mm. It occurs in every department _ including Defense. There’s little motivation for efficiency and cost management. The trite cliche, “spending like a drunken sailor” describes most federal government agencies.

In my opinion, smaller government is akin to better, more efficient government. There was a time when the Republican Party was a proponent of fiscal responsibility. Budget and cost management is really hard, complex work. The solution is much more than simply tax cuts or becoming outraged when media hypes a questionable expenditure. Both revenue and expenses have to be in play.

What’s weak? Politicians in both parties who are stuck in antiquated policy and solutions that pander to small segments of their constituents.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: “Weak” is selective anecdotal outrage. Think about the ...

Dec 23, 2020, 10:08 AM

Tropical,

As long as big $$ and lobbying are the lifeblood of politics, then big money will get far more than their fair share of congressional beneficence.

Get money out of politics and you might have a chance to ameliorate some of these problems.
Money is NOT speech.

Selective? Nah, it was fairly applied.

Dec 23, 2020, 10:10 AM [ in reply to “Weak” is selective anecdotal outrage. Think about the ... ]

In fairness to you, you aren’t known for hackery of any sort, so what’s weak for you may be the norm for others.

The reason I said it is that against the mass of pork that every budget bill contains, a “but Trump” about his (or any other President’s) admittedly wasteful travel activities is more about the President than it is about the relatively minuscule (in comparison) dollar amounts of said activities in comparison to the pork.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 23, 2020, 10:10 AM

The oligarchy loves it when working people fight over the scraps. It keeps the attention off of the billions that they are getting out of this (& every) package.

Dec 23, 2020, 12:14 PM

I can agree with that.

Dec 23, 2020, 12:16 PM [ in reply to Re: This is why I voted ]

They send money all over the world to get their friends and family setup to make a killing off that money. If it does not make sense on where the money is going then it almost always so someone can make money off it.

Dec 23, 2020, 6:18 PM

Friends and family - perhaps. But far more aid is allocated to open up business for corporate donors. And this will continue until we get big money out of politics.

Corporations are not people and money is not speech.

Dec 23, 2020, 9:25 PM

There is almost no government program that gives the American people more return than foreign aid.

We've bought peace since 1945 and bought our way right into the most peaceful time in the history of humanity.

Dec 24, 2020, 12:07 AM

How do you get that most peaceful time in the history of humanity?

Dec 24, 2020, 2:21 PM

As Hobbes said, the natural state of man is war. The vast majority of people who ever lived existed in a world torn by war. Even when generally at peace, they were a breath away from invasion or attack.

Through archaeological records, we know that nonstate societies were remarkable violent and the formation of states across the would mostly moved the violence from tribal action to state action. Since WW2, there has been a drastic decline in state violence. A huge driver of that has been a global effort of aid.

Today, the world is primarily at peace. There are conflicts revolving around territory or commerce in Central America, Africa, and the Middle East, but those are primarily local skirmishes. The Mexican drug war may be the world's primary war presently in terms of damage.

Even person-to-person violence has declined substantially over the past few decades.

Replies: 35
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic