Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
trucknet
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 55
| visibility 1

trucknet

Dec 7, 2020, 3:58 PM

What's better and last longer?
Ford F-150
Ram
Chevy Silverado

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Just go test drive them all

Dec 7, 2020, 3:59 PM

They have all changed so much since 2013 when I bought my Silverado. If I were to buy a new truck today, I would probably go with a Ford. Chevy seems at least one generation behind the tech that Ram and Ford have.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsonrulez08.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Please forgive me, @IneligibleUser

Rivian.***

Dec 7, 2020, 4:03 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Rivian.***

Dec 7, 2020, 4:10 PM

And what the heck is riven?

Rivian

Dec 7, 2020, 4:14 PM

Drive the future, TODAY.

https://rivian.com/r1t#capability

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Looks like a daggum Sport Trac, size too***

Dec 7, 2020, 4:17 PM

Yeah, well good luck getting your SportTrac with

Dec 7, 2020, 4:30 PM

THIS AWESOME CAMP KITCHEN THAT SLIDES INTO THE COMPARTMENT BETWEEN THE BED AND CAB!!!

Re: Yeah, well good luck getting your SportTrac with

Dec 7, 2020, 4:37 PM

https://vimeo.com/114522735

Re: Rivian

Dec 7, 2020, 4:35 PM [ in reply to Rivian ]

Sweet... and check out those head lamps. Perfect for that EV. I'd like to take one out for a good test!!

Saw the prototype in Long Way Up - looks like a beast of

Dec 7, 2020, 4:12 PM [ in reply to Rivian.*** ]

an EV truck.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg2006_ncaa_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

But is the cab space the same as the full size pickups?

Dec 7, 2020, 4:15 PM

I didn't see it advertised so I don't think it is.

Ram 4 door has the largest cab

Dec 8, 2020, 7:53 AM

I think RAM is the best truck on the market.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Rivian.***Nice! I looked that up... looks good

Dec 7, 2020, 4:15 PM [ in reply to Rivian.*** ]

I wonder how far you can go on a charge?

Those electrics and fuel cell vehicles are definitely the future.

300 miles for the first ones being released.

Dec 7, 2020, 4:16 PM

0-60 in three seconds. 11k towing.

They seem legit if your average day sees you not taking massive road trips.

Re: 300 miles for the first ones being released.

Dec 7, 2020, 4:19 PM

Wow... that's quick! Amazing tow power too.

Re: 300 miles for the first ones being released.

Dec 7, 2020, 4:25 PM [ in reply to 300 miles for the first ones being released. ]

Have to plan a trip accordingly. I haven't really looked but I haven't noticed many fueling stations up here in NC. I think I've only noticed one and they only had 1 or 2 stations.
In Greenville there was a huge fueling station next door to the hotel. If memory is right I think it had at least 20.

Over off woodruff near cracker barrel?***

Dec 7, 2020, 4:26 PM

Re: Over off woodruff near cracker barrel?***

Dec 7, 2020, 4:30 PM

Yes, I think so... though it's been 3 or 4 years ago. A Hyatt or Hilton maybe?

I'd feel bad about myself if I spent $75K on a truck

Dec 7, 2020, 4:59 PM [ in reply to 300 miles for the first ones being released. ]

and could only drive to Greenville.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Perhaps, but on the flip side,

Dec 7, 2020, 5:02 PM

leaving the flatbrim in the Hellcat off the line like he was standing still would make up for a lot.

I guess.

Dec 7, 2020, 5:14 PM

It would just suck to want to take a road trip and have to take my 12 year old 4runner because my brand new $75K Rivian can't make it to Jacksonville without an overnight stay close to a charging station.

Screw that.

Wonder if I could put an EU2000i in the bed and charge it along the way?

If we're being honest, and I say this with full love and

Dec 7, 2020, 5:17 PM

respect, you could find a downside to a winning Powerball ticket.

Nahh..I'm a realist.

Dec 7, 2020, 5:32 PM

Srsly...what use does anyone have with a $75K truck that will only go 300 miles before it needs a night of rest? Diesel is <$3.00/gallon, so buying fuel for a year probably costs as much or more as the yearly property taxes on my current truck. If it's not for gas mileage, or more towing power, or something usable, what's the point?

"At the end of the day" owning a Rivian is a caulk measuring contest. And if I'm throwing $75K (or more) at something to show some girth, it's going to have twin engines, a little toilet, and a place I can sleep.

I grew out of trying to shame the flatbrimmers at stop lights about 3 decades ago.

I'm a realist too, and I love the IC engine,

Dec 7, 2020, 5:47 PM

but I'd wager 95% of the country does not do 300+ mile trips daily. In fact, that number is probably more like 20-30 miles daily.

I'd also wager that 50+% of the country doesn't take a trip of 300 miles or more in one drive more than twice a year.

If you're not in the use case demographic, that's cool, lots of people are. The price tag isn't exactly going to have people running to their dealerships like it's Toyotathon anyway, so it's already a niche market.

I couldn't care less about the environmental aspect, I like the capability. It's making some crazy power at the wheels, the driverless aspects are great as Nashville keeps getting more and more congested and stop-go isn't exactly driving exhilaration, and I like the idea a little less obsolescence via OTA updates, and not having to change oil, and fuel up, and worry about water pumps, and fuel pumps, and head gaskets, and the million other maintenance items that go wrong on a petrol engine..... Add in glacier-like depreciation and it begins to make even more sense.

There are people dropping $75k+ on F150 limited and similar. This seems like a helluva lot smarter purchase to me.

It being IC or electric doesn't really factor into it for me

Dec 7, 2020, 6:13 PM

I don't think electric cars or trucks are the ultimate answer. They are a stop gap--until we get to hydrogen power. I just don't want to invest in the Beta max. Until electric vehicles get commonly interchangeable battery packs that can be changed out when they die or even need charging, nobody will be keeping an electric car. Talk about planned obsolesce--How much value does a 7 year old Prius with a dead battery have? I really don't know that, but it can't be much. Maybe that's really the point though? Maybe its all an architectural runway to finally getting the manufacturers' wish of a perpetual value stream by leasing everyone a car they never own? I dunno.

Sure, instant torque and all that, but unless you are an enthusiast, does that matter?

At 52 I can seemingly barely stay out of jail now and I haven't had a traffic ticket in 25+ years. I'm fine driving like an old man, and just don't have any use in owning something that will do 0-60 < 3 seconds. I can't imagine that practically, many other people do either. That's just not something I see much value in.

Like you said, maybe I just use my vehicle differently than most folks. And as far as reliability and cost of maintenance, the jury is still way out on that with electric vehicles. And $75K for an F150? Yeah, somebody might be doing that, but it's sure not me.

The electric car consultant for Duke energy

Dec 7, 2020, 5:29 PM [ in reply to I guess. ]

Just drove a Tesla from Raleigh to Panama City to Daytona to Wilmington and back to Raleigh

Apparently they put charging stations within walking distance of Waffle houses because the new superchargers will give you a full charge in the time it takes to eat at Waffle House. He would get up, drive a couple of hours stop for breakfast and a charge then drive til lunch and a charge drive til supper and a charge then drive a couple of more hours to a hotel with a charger. I guess you would get real tired of Waffle House food.

I’m waiting for someone to bundle a vehicle, charging station and solar panels so it’s free energy- at least at home.

There’s a free charging station in the city garage off Magnolia St in Spartanburg that often has an I-9 hooked to it. If you can afford an I-9, you don’t need to be getting go juice for free.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov
Panta Rhei Heraclitus

Kinda like I said above, buying an electric car or truck

Dec 7, 2020, 5:37 PM

still isn't about the fuel cost.

I remember when the Honda Insight first came out in like '99, and gas was <$1.00/gallon. A Civic, that got about 35-40 mpg was pushing $12K. Why would I buy an even smaller car that got 70 mpg, for $22k? I mean if I could afford a $22K 2 seater Civic, shouldn't I be able to afford the gas in the thing?

A base uglyass Tesla 3 starts at $38K. There might be a million reasons to justify buying one, but gas <$2.00/gallon ain't in the top 15 of those.

Just doesn't seem like the downsides are worth the upside, at least to me.

I've been told this is our next vehicle purchase***

Dec 7, 2020, 4:20 PM [ in reply to Rivian.*** ]

If you were chocking when you were wearing that sweater

Dec 7, 2020, 4:21 PM

would you lift your arms up?

I actually like them a lot, even tho they are a little on

Dec 7, 2020, 4:25 PM [ in reply to I've been told this is our next vehicle purchase*** ]

the dorky side, still not Tesla/Prius dorky, and the tech is solid.

$50's always been my mental maximum on car price....I just develop hives after that price point, and would still do so if my net worth quadrupled, but I'd consider it on these if there aren't massive markups.

The Bronco might win next year ultimately though. I'll be able to buy an electric truck the rest of my life, but we're getting near the end of the line for being able to buy a manual transmission, dinosaur fueled off-roader with 35" tires new off the showroom floor.

In my mind, the F-150 is best

Dec 7, 2020, 4:14 PM

because of 0-60, towing, mpg, price point.

So I'm pretty much sold on that one b/c those are the 4 most important things to me. Looks or warranty may be more appealing to you.

I've been looking pretty hard and what I find strange is the dealer's not wanting to budge on price. Probably have not asked around enough yet though.

I really do like the thot of electric, but they aren't for sale yet and I'm wanting a truck before they are for sale. Also I wouldn't want to spend that kind of money for another 5 years or so.

Re: In my mind, the F-150 is best

Dec 7, 2020, 4:18 PM

Agree.... And I think the fuel cell will surpass battery....but when will they be available.

Stock just went up 40%, must be somewhat soon?***

Dec 7, 2020, 4:19 PM

Re: Stock just went up 40%, must be somewhat soon?***

Dec 7, 2020, 4:39 PM

For Rivian? What's it selling for?

Misspoke, it was closer to 300%

Dec 7, 2020, 4:41 PM

https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/FCEL?p=FCEL

spring.***

Dec 7, 2020, 4:21 PM [ in reply to Re: In my mind, the F-150 is best ]

Ride quality used to go to Chevy hands down. Current gen

Dec 7, 2020, 4:18 PM [ in reply to In my mind, the F-150 is best ]

Ford has them beat.

I've heard Ram is even better in that regard, what

Dec 7, 2020, 4:20 PM

with the independent rear suspension.

I just can't do Dodge. This is probably baseless, and

Dec 7, 2020, 4:22 PM

they've likely improved things, but they strike me as the type of company that likes to rush features to market before they've been fully vetted and tested.

I'm there with you, but in my case it's because every single

Dec 7, 2020, 4:25 PM

Chrysler or Daimler-Chrysler product I've owned was pureshit.

Re: I'm there with you, but in my case it's because every single

Dec 7, 2020, 4:54 PM

I wouldn't mind getting a ford van and converting into an rv... similar to some sprinter vans. I've used those several times a rentals... the base models from u-haul etc and they far exceeded my expectations for drivability.

Anyway, it aint a truck but something I've thought about.

Re: I'm there with you, but in my case it's because every single

Dec 7, 2020, 5:00 PM

Re: I've heard Ram is even better in that regard, what

Dec 7, 2020, 4:43 PM [ in reply to I've heard Ram is even better in that regard, what ]

That's what I read recently too. Also, they are supposed to steer, handle the best.
I don't need something that will take me much longer to park. Ha... I don't want to star in the next parking video!!

When shopping for Red's mom car

Dec 7, 2020, 4:20 PM [ in reply to In my mind, the F-150 is best ]

We looked at Tahoes, Volvo XC-90's, and Subaru Ascents. We shopped three different Chevrolet dealerships and every single one of them were awful. One flat out told me they refused to drop below MSRP because it was end of year and business owners would come in and buy them like candy.

Out of all three brands, the guys at Volvo's were willing to bend over backwards and do whatever it took to close the deal. Unfortunately, the Volvo was just a smidge too small. Reds sister and BIL just bought an XC-90 and they have indirectly confirmed the car was in fact too small for our needs.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsonrulez08.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Please forgive me, @IneligibleUser

I just bought a Ram 1500

Dec 7, 2020, 4:50 PM

It is by far my favorite truck I've ever owned. I've owned several including a Chevy 454SS and an F-150 that I still own. 3 trucks is too many but the Chevy doesn't have tags right now.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tundra will probably last longer than any of those

Dec 7, 2020, 4:53 PM

But it will get 13 MPG with the worlds worst stereo system in a new vehicle, as well as being technologically 10 years behind any other truck still made (except for the Nissan Frontier)

In 2007 when it came out, It was one of the few trucks that had a 6 speed transmission. In 2021, it still is.

I'm partial to a 3500 Diesel with 910 lb-ft of torque and 445 HP. But thats just me.

Yep.

Dec 8, 2020, 8:21 AM

Definitely the most reliable of all full sized trucks. I was just looking at the latest Consumer Reports data on trucks and Tundra is head and shoulders above every other brand in reliability, and the divide in that reliability category is something akin to the talent gap between Clemson and UofSC football. It also carries a higher price tag with that lesser technology too. On the flip side, Joonyer just bought a 2018 Ram truck, and it's like a spaceship tech-wise and has an amazing ride. Makes me wish Ram built a full size SUV on that platform since I already have all the truck I need with my 2000 Tundra.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

whoa...easy man...I get 14.5 mpg thank you

Dec 8, 2020, 11:36 AM [ in reply to Tundra will probably last longer than any of those ]

love my tundra, but am starting to shop around for a new truck now that I drive quite a bit more for work. i'm looking at the F-150 diesel

the whole "tech" argument isn't applicable to me. As long as I have blue tooth for calls and sound + a back up camera, I'm good. The system in my truck thumps pretty well too.

Only issue I've had has been electrical. After the first time I got it fixed, they've taken care of the rest even tho it's after the warranty.

I also worked for Yota during college...that's why i went into what i did, etc. BUT...i was between the Tundra and F-150 and at the time Ford wouldn't budge off their price for an identical model. The Tundra was like 9k cheaper so it was a no brainer.

I had an '18 Platinum for 800 miles.

Dec 8, 2020, 11:38 AM

I don't think it ever broke 14 mpg.

Re: trucknet

Dec 7, 2020, 5:40 PM

my mechanic says chevy is easier to work on and lasts longer. and i only drove chevy trucks until 3 years ago. but i bought the f150. so much more interior room and pricing was right. i would recommend u drive them all too. i fuggin hate the dealership tho. worst part of buying a car/truck is dealing with the fuggin dealership.

Just got rid of a F-150 - only 16 mo after getiing it

Dec 8, 2020, 7:50 AM

It had more troubles than it was worth. Only had 10,000 miles on it. The "infotainment" system was absolute crap and never worked right - even after the dealer installed a system update. Then there was the heater coil leak that kept my passenger side carpet soaking wet...and the very sad way the dealership was dealing with me on that matter. Scheduled two weeks out to have it fixed. Brought the truck in and was informed that it would be three more weeks before they could get to it, "But they would be happy to reschedule" so i could bring it back at a later date. My response, "Why would i do that? I scheduled this time and it didn't work." They refused to provide a loaner as well.

Seems my step-brother was having the same problems with his f-150 in NC. But, he was also having "mysterious" transmission problems that the dealer there could not fix. He had 25,000 on his truck.

So, i took that piece of crap home and began talking with the chevy dealer. Ended up at a Ram dealer in the end. Bought a Laramie 4x4 and so far I am very pleased with it. Never had a Ram before - always said I never would...but they have changed!

Time will tell but, I think this Ram is the best truck (initially) that i ever bought... and I have had a few over the last 30 years.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

John 3:16; 14:1-6

What year was it?

Dec 8, 2020, 8:21 AM

My 2018 F150 with the 3.5 EB was mostly flawless. Had one problem with the front left hub assembly...seems they have a common issue with the automatic 4wd locking system and the SOB would just start grinding like a fork in the garbage disposal while going down the road. It started about 2 weeks before my lease was up so I would just put it in 4wd and back in 2wd while driving to make it stop and I figured the next owner could deal with it.

Re: What year was it?

Dec 8, 2020, 8:37 AM

The last 3 trucks I have own were rams 4x4 4 door. I got the best deal on the ram than the other 2. I check them all out every time. I have owned the other 2 over the years. You should get over 100,000 miles on all 3 before you start having trouble.

2018 with 5.0 coyote V8 - 4x4

Dec 8, 2020, 2:21 PM [ in reply to What year was it? ]

sorry - late post

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

John 3:16; 14:1-6

When Lakebum1 gets back from lunch @ Golden Corral, he can

Dec 8, 2020, 12:38 PM

give a good writeup on the Dodge Ram.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

S??? ????? ???? ??? ??????? ?????? ???? ??? ??????,
S??? ????? ?? ?? ???????? ???? ? ??????? ??? ????? ?????..

Re: trucknet

Dec 8, 2020, 12:49 PM

You are only talking about the 1/2 ton trucks, 1500s and the 150s ? One strike against ford is the Aluminum bed.

Replies: 55
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic