Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
RIP cast-iron seasoning :(
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 48
| visibility 750

RIP cast-iron seasoning :(

Dec 16, 2020, 8:55 AM

I heated up the stove on high yesterday to clean my skillet. I scraped some of the bacon stuffs from breakfast using salt and olive oil and wiped the pan clean. Then I put about 2 TBSP of canola oil in the pan. And forgot about it (including forgetting to turn the heat off). Oven hood fan was still pulling on high, which is loud. Got distracted for a while.

By the time I noticed that the house was filling with smoke, that canola oil had gotten as hot as lava and burned through the polymerized layer that I've spent 4 years accumulating. Is there chance to salvage this, or do I just need to strip it down and start over?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

unfortunately you are going to have to

Dec 16, 2020, 8:57 AM

kill yourself

:(

I've never felt more like doing so when I saw what I had don

Dec 16, 2020, 8:58 AM

I did everything right. Never washed with soap and only put under water once or twice to remove some buildup and always dried completely. Always well-taken care of and well-oiled (like my weiner).

I had a sad.

Re: I've never felt more like doing so when I saw what I had don

Dec 16, 2020, 9:27 AM

That thing is dead man... give it a proper warrior’s send off and start anew

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

dont waste any time, its rush hour

Dec 16, 2020, 8:58 AM [ in reply to unfortunately you are going to have to ]

just rush out there and get it over with.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Just get a ceramic non-stick instead***

Dec 16, 2020, 8:59 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

Re: Just get a ceramic non-stick instead***

Dec 16, 2020, 9:00 AM

Hey, get a haircut and stop being wrong.***

Dec 16, 2020, 9:01 AM [ in reply to Just get a ceramic non-stick instead*** ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No!***

Dec 16, 2020, 9:02 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

This is the gayest thing you have ever said***

Dec 16, 2020, 9:18 AM [ in reply to Just get a ceramic non-stick instead*** ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsonrulez08.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Please forgive me, @IneligibleUser

And that is for someone with 'soccer' right in his name!***

Dec 16, 2020, 11:17 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Prolly gonna have to strip and start over.

Dec 16, 2020, 9:01 AM

And honestly, if we're talking a $20 Lodge, I have 2 of those laying around somewhere that I just put aside because spending another $20 is way easier than stripping (a cast iron pan). I used to dry cast iron on my coil burner stove instead of using a towel--just crank it up to 11 and give it a coupla minutes. Walked away from it one time and didn't think about it for an hour--that's how one of those Lodges ended up in the scrap pile.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Prolly gonna have to strip and start over.

I'm thinking of just going LDR this time. This is the 3rd one I've had to abandon in 10 years or so.

Is this TOO LDR?

https://finexusa.com/product/cast-iron-skillet/

Buy local!

Dec 16, 2020, 9:05 AM

https://smithey.com/collections

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well those are beautiful and seem more practical***

Dec 16, 2020, 9:09 AM

On my list to get one. I never used cast iron until about

Dec 16, 2020, 9:21 AM

a year ago, and wanted to get a 'cheap' one (Lodge) to see if I would use it and like it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think this is my next foodie purchase...

Dec 16, 2020, 10:48 AM [ in reply to Buy local! ]

https://smithey.com/collections/ironware/products/carbon-steel-farmhouse-skillet

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-fordprefect.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm hearing more and more chatter about carbon steel.

Dec 16, 2020, 11:17 AM

Curiosity: piqued.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'ma tell you somethin'.

Dec 16, 2020, 9:11 AM [ in reply to Re: Prolly gonna have to strip and start over. ]

Pops got me and my sister a couple of these for Christmas last year:

https://butterpatindustries.com/collections/butter-pat-cookware/products/h-type-heather

So this is literally a 10X difference in cost between a Lodge and this thing, but it is as smooth as a baby's ass. This company and the one you posted and a few others...from what I've read, the time it takes to polish a Lodge-type pan into these finished, silky-smooth pieces is what makes them so spendy, and so far (since mine was a gift), TOTALLY worth it. The 12" Butterpat is $295, and one of the product comparisons I saw had them rated as the best by the entire panel (no clue if the one you posted was part of the ratings). So the extra $20 spot might be worth it.

I'll see if I can grab a pic of mine when I go make some coffee in a second. The seasoning on these kinds of pans looks really different.

So I appreciate the beauty of that well-made pan,

Dec 16, 2020, 9:23 AM

but for $295 I can go buy a lodge pan, a sweet Makita or Milwaukee 18v multi-tool, and all the 80 grit sandpaper I need to make the lodge as smooth as that pan in about 15 minutes, AND then I would put the $120 or so that I saved into my "demolish half the house to install a gas line" fund.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I had forgotten all about that gas line

Dec 16, 2020, 9:27 AM

just chuckled a bit to myself

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Honestly figured that would be on the spreadsheet***

Dec 16, 2020, 9:28 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wouldn't be a $295 pan if you could polish it in 15 minutes

Dec 16, 2020, 9:30 AM [ in reply to So I appreciate the beauty of that well-made pan, ]

doe. But I get that this is a gas line dig, and I appreciate it.

Watch this.....

Dec 16, 2020, 9:33 AM

I think I just came up with a winter project/challenge for myself.

https://youtu.be/lSbjJV-WDGw

most all cast iron pans were smooth like that through the

Dec 16, 2020, 10:12 AM

1950's or so. I bought a 12" small-logo Griswold skillet (made before 1957) that is equally smooth a few years ago for $50. I've got several pieces of cast iron, and they're all smooth inside. And supposedly the quality of the cast iron is better than what is commonly available today (I don't know anything about these boutique cast iron suppliers that have sprung up)

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

this topic piqued my interest and I found this a bit ago....

Dec 16, 2020, 10:15 AM

pretty interesting read on the topic if inclined...

https://unocasa.com/blogs/tips/cast-iron-smooth-vs-rough

Here's a pic. Obed, check out the ceramic top in the

Dec 16, 2020, 9:32 AM [ in reply to I'ma tell you somethin'. ]

background. And technically, you're not even supposed to use cast iron on ceramic, but this pan is so smooth that I don't think the rule applies.

A $300 frying pan.

Dec 16, 2020, 10:58 AM [ in reply to I'ma tell you somethin'. ]

If you have a knack for destroying cast iron pans

Dec 16, 2020, 9:11 AM [ in reply to Re: Prolly gonna have to strip and start over. ]

I'd recommend getting the UDP model.

you guys put SO MUCH

Dec 16, 2020, 9:04 AM [ in reply to Prolly gonna have to strip and start over. ]

dammmm work into cooking food. Its amazing.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If I were an undergrad and read the jounge

Dec 16, 2020, 11:11 AM

I'd be scared shitless that grilling, drinking and avoiding work were all that I had to look forward to when I got older.

I'd call that motivation.***

Dec 16, 2020, 11:13 AM

Even I remember being young and thinking I was going to

Dec 16, 2020, 11:18 AM

change, then subsequently rule the world.

If I were 20 again and reading how some dude spent $300 on a FRYING PAN..well, I'd be asking the same thing I am now. WHY?

But I wouldn't have had the sense to then think "well, everybody has somethin' I guess", because at 20 I just assumed everyone I knew wanted to do stuff that I did, because well, at 20, they did.

If I had the skeelz.....I'd do this

Dec 16, 2020, 11:52 AM [ in reply to Prolly gonna have to strip and start over. ]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAj6jUOgu9c

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That a Lodge pan?

Now is your chance to make it really great by getting all of their rough junk off and building up the really smooth services you'd get from a Field or the other expensive as all get out pans.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Cast Iron Pan Industrial Complex. APM gettin all kindsa WOKE.

Dec 16, 2020, 10:16 AM

Sad. But determined.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I day dream of getting a Field or Smithy, but

Dec 16, 2020, 10:42 AM

we hardly have room to store the two pans we've got.

Just keep cooking on it. It'll even out

Dec 16, 2020, 9:08 AM

I don't know why people think you have to baby these things.

They last 100 years because they are tougher than Aero's meat.

They are made to be abused.

Keep cooking on it. It'll be fine.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

Re: RIP cast-iron seasoning :(

Dec 16, 2020, 9:09 AM

Use Avocado oil. It has a much higher smoke temperature than other oils. It cost more but its worth it.
https://www.bonappetit.com/test-kitchen/ingredients/article/types-of-cooking-oil

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Smoke_point_of_cooking_oils

Dec 16, 2020, 9:26 AM

I still love my cast iron and use it for some outdoor applications, but I’ve converted most all my indoor pots and pans to le creuset at this point.

Ok, I've been looking in that direction recently......

Dec 16, 2020, 9:28 AM

tell me more about why they're worth the premium they charge? (honest question....I just like them and know that friends who have some of their pots swear by them).

Re: Ok, I've been looking in that direction recently......

Dec 16, 2020, 9:34 AM

They’re one of those luxury items you didn’t know how much you needed until you have it. Like AirPods.

They’re heavy, substantial, perfectly fitting heavy lids, retain heat, don’t stick and easy to clean, super versatile. Everything that comes out of them is magic.

Have you tried cutting your vein

Dec 16, 2020, 9:41 AM

and watching it bleed?

This is a job for NoIntro

Dec 16, 2020, 9:44 AM

NoIntroduction®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You can use it to bash FBcoach's head in when the RONA gets

Dec 16, 2020, 9:50 AM

too hard on him and he asks for some Youth In Asia.

badge-ringofhonor-clemsonsteve02.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 16, 2020, 10:44 AM

I know this is blasphemous but we inherited about 15 different types if cast iron cookware (different size skillets, cornbread molds, dutch ovens, etc.) but we just very seldom use these things. I just don't get the appeal. Fire away!

Let me know if you want to get rid of them

Dec 16, 2020, 10:45 AM

to make room for whatever.

I'll take a 10" and a 8" if you got em.

Dec 16, 2020, 10:49 AM [ in reply to Re: RIP cast-iron seasoning :( ]

$20 a piece.

Shooo, I'll talk to you about the Dutch oven.

Dec 16, 2020, 10:58 AM [ in reply to Re: RIP cast-iron seasoning :( ]

I'll need one of those when I build my combination horseshoe and cowboy cooking pit.

Replies: 48
| visibility 750
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic