Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
RIP Popcorn
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 25
| visibility 781

RIP Popcorn

Sep 8, 2020, 9:34 AM

Friday, around lunch, my wife called me because our 1 year old Golden Retreiver X Poodle (Golden Doodle), had a bloated stomach, was foaming at the mouth, and dry heaving. Wife was hysterical. I met them at the emergency vet and they diagnosed Popcorn with a flipped stomach. They said that they could probably save him, but that the surgery would cost upwards of $10K! Even with the surgery, it wasn't a guarantee...

We called every clinic in the area seeing if anybody else would do the surgery, but none were willing. I told my wife that it wasn't in the best interest of the family to spend the money. I had to make the decision to forgo the surgery and euthanize Popcorn. That's a sh!tty feeling, for sure, because he's so young and was beloved by the whole family. We face-timed the kids so they could say "goodbye" and my wife headed home. She didn't want to be there for the euthanization. I laid down with him and petted him while the vet gave him the shots. He went peacefully.

It was completely out of left field. The dog had zero health issues prior to this. Wife was devastated, but has been getting better over the past few days. She delivered that puppy herself right in our bedroom. My son is fine, daughter is mostly okay. Mama dog, Lula, is mopey, but she has been like that ever since she got "fixed". I started renovating the laundry room to help take my wife's mind off of Popcorn. It seemed to help.

RIP buddy! You were a huge pain in my A$$, but you were loved by the rest of the family! I'm sure you're chasing our dead cats and kiling chickens in Doggy Heaven.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

S??? ????? ???? ??? ??????? ?????? ???? ??? ??????,
S??? ????? ?? ?? ???????? ???? ? ??????? ??? ????? ?????..

####, man, so sorry

Sep 8, 2020, 9:35 AM

####### onions cutting up in here

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was calm through all of it and tried to balance out

Sep 8, 2020, 9:41 AM

SarahAdidas, who was hysterical.

When we put the kids on facetime, though. Woof. That was horrible. Honestly, in hindsight, maybe it wasn't a great idea.

Once SarahAdidas left me there with him, I did breakdown and told him I was sorry. I had a very public love/hate relationship with that dog, but still. I think what hurt the most was seeing how upset SarahAdidas and the kids were and knowing that while I theoretically could fix him, I just couldn't justify it. We do alright financially, but throwing 10K on a credit card was just too much...

Sarahadidas thanked me later on, because she wouldn't have had the "stomach" to make the right decision.

Re: I was calm through all of it and tried to balance out

Sep 8, 2020, 10:02 AM

You made the right decision. As hard as it is at the time, it’s the right call. Putting strain on your family that would potentially negatively impact your kids... just can’t do it.

Even with surgery there’s no guarantee of a good outcome. I operate on gastric volvulus not infrequently, and it’s a really bad problem to have.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dang man, that sucks. Any idea what caused it?

Sep 8, 2020, 9:37 AM

I think that is what happened to the dog in the book Marley & Me. (I refuse to watch that movie, I read the book and cried like a beyotch).

Good vibes to you and the family, that really really sucks.

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Dang man, that sucks. Any idea what caused it?

Sep 8, 2020, 9:42 AM

He had a really deep chest. I guess that's the poodle in him. They said dogs with really deep chests are prone to it.

Otherwise it was a normal day, he was hanging around the pool, swimming and watching chickens.

At first, SarahAdidas thought he had water intoxication and would need to get his stomach pumped.

Turns out that wasn't the case.

this happened to our choc lab way back when

Sep 8, 2020, 9:54 AM [ in reply to Dang man, that sucks. Any idea what caused it? ]

to make it worse, she was in the kennel while we were on a ski trip

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Drinking water too fast.....broad chested dogs are prone

Sep 8, 2020, 4:32 PM [ in reply to Dang man, that sucks. Any idea what caused it? ]

to lapping up their water to the point of distorting the stomach. My golden survived barely. Truly sorry for your loss.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sorry to hear that man, and I get the conundrum.

Sep 8, 2020, 9:38 AM

Sounds like you made a reasonable yet difficult decision, although I'm sure some won't get it.

Our mutt got hit by a car a few years ago and had a shattered leg. Long story short it was about $3500 when all was said and done. I love the guy, but I'm not sure which way I would have gone if I had received that bill as a pre-surgery estimate instead of a post-surgery bill.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I paid $2500 to fix a mutt dog of ours years ago.

Sep 8, 2020, 9:44 AM

The only reason I did it was because I was the one that ran over it.

We ended up having to get rid of the dog a year later when it bit a kid on a bike.

If it would have been a few thousand, I would have told them to give it a shot, but at $10K... I really didn't even consider it.

####

Sep 8, 2020, 9:44 AM

#### just ####***

Sep 8, 2020, 9:46 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sorry to hear. Dogs are some of the best people I’ve known.***

Sep 8, 2020, 10:01 AM

So very sorry :(.***

Sep 8, 2020, 10:09 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

fuckinga man, that sucks

Sep 8, 2020, 10:28 AM

I know what it is like to have to put down a pup

hate it for you

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

so sorry to hear. Those out-of-the-blue serious illnesses

Sep 8, 2020, 10:39 AM

are aweful enough, even without having to put a dog down.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

####. Im so sorry to hear that.***

Sep 8, 2020, 10:44 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsonrulez08.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Please forgive me, @IneligibleUser

that sucks, sorry.***

Sep 8, 2020, 10:59 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hate to hear that.

Sep 8, 2020, 11:07 AM

It's the worst feeling in the world to lose one.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That absolutely sucks. So sorry.

Sep 8, 2020, 11:30 AM

We, unfortunately, spent somewhat close to that number over a period of two years - first Addison's disease, then stomach cancer, with f'ing chemo. I would never do chemo on a dog again - waste of money for sure.

We since have gotten pet insurance - pay $42 a month, but one root canal later it easily paid for itself (yes they do root canal's on dogs).

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That sucks...sorry***

Sep 8, 2020, 11:38 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sorry to hear. Such a sad story.....

Sep 8, 2020, 11:43 AM

Get another dog as quickly as possible.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tough anytime, but 'specially with a puppy...

Sep 8, 2020, 12:09 PM

Sorry dood.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

https://as1.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/00/81/16/28/1000_F_81162810_8TlZDomtVuVGlyqWL2I4HA7Wlqw7cr5a.jpg

:( ******

Sep 8, 2020, 12:34 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_nascar_champ.gifringofhonor-celti_tiger-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: RIP Popcorn

Sep 8, 2020, 12:41 PM

Wow. That is so heartbreaking. RIP Popcorn

Re: RIP Popcorn

Sep 8, 2020, 12:46 PM

Man's best friend for a reason.!! RIP Popcorn.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 25
| visibility 781
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic