Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
RIP, GOP.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 32
| visibility 1

RIP, GOP.

Feb 14, 2021, 1:52 PM

Good luck consuming yourself in the coming years after officially cowering to and embracing the Trumpist Idiocrats that swell the ranks. It wasn’t enough to lose the House, Presidency, and Senate based on fostering and peddling to this new ideology – it is now soul deep, and there’s no turning back.

It is a bit frustrating that Democrats will gain a significant upper hand – it’s never great to have too much federal power rest with one party – but this is the lot that’s been cast, and how a Republic operates. In the face of such spineless political actions, though, it’s certainly been earned, and I suppose inevitable.

Go America.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: RIP, GOP.

Feb 14, 2021, 2:06 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thanks for playing, T3.

Feb 14, 2021, 2:59 PM

One can always count on you for learned insight and staying true to the principles of conservatism. Keep up the daily and frequent good work of yours on the T-Nets. Not everyone has such ample time on their hands to contribute here in this fashion and offer such consistent and enlightening thoughts as you.

Much appreesh.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Somehow I doubt your sincerity

Feb 14, 2021, 3:02 PM

And I can't help you with your struggles in reading

Feb 14, 2021, 3:07 PM

comprehension. So be it.

Feb 14, 2021, 4:38 PM [ in reply to Re: RIP, GOP. ]

I'm not one to declare "RIP" for any party yet because things generally are pretty cyclical. I remember folks on here saying the same thing about the Dems during the Bush admin. Given time, the Dems in power will likely screw up and cede seats/the White House.

However, the GOP has to do major damage control to fix its image to the general public. Coming off a bad two elections for them, Trump's horrific behavior, and the senators lacking the integrity to punish him, it's not a good look.

The majority of Americans wanted him convicted. Even more wanted him barred from running again. They GOP ignored those numbers are their own peril.

Again, a lot can happen in four years and it's cyclical. But if the GOP breaks into two parties like some are murmuring, then yeah, I'll say RIP.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

Feb 14, 2021, 4:45 PM

Yup, the 538 conviction poll I saw had conviction at 50.2.

Feb 14, 2021, 9:19 PM

That hardly seems like an imminent peril “majority” to ignore. Barring from office was 55%, which if it is accurate should be achievable at election time.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 14, 2021, 5:01 PM [ in reply to Re: RIP, GOP. ]

Yeah. RIP was more about the snappy headline, for now.

Feb 14, 2021, 2:07 PM

Lou,

You made me think of a tangential idea that has been on my mind for a while now. The Dems are pushing for campaign and election reforms. One of the most significant parts of this push is non-partisan drawing of the new Congressional districts.

This could really help the true and more reasonable Republicans by creating more competitive districts. In this way, the moderate voters in the middle would become more influential than the Trump extremists. Politicians from both parties would be motivated to come up with workable ideas that would appeal to the masses in the middle ()from both parties)

This kind of non-partisan redistricting could provide the GOP with a chance to shed the weight of Trumpers without losing their seats. It might even get bipartisan support in Congress for that very reason.

Feb 14, 2021, 2:41 PM

The middle sounds nice and has a reasonable tone to it. The problem is the middle is being pulled more and more left. Think about where the “middle” was a few decades ago vs now. Someone will say both sides pull at the middle. There’s no way anyone could make the argument that the middle is drifting to the right.

Feb 14, 2021, 3:32 PM

Actually Tardog,

as far as political parties are concerned, the exact opposite is true. Over the last 40 years, the Republicans have deviated farther from the middle than have the Democrats.

This graph (see attached) charts the ideological mean of every recorded floor vote over the last 37 years. If you will note - the Reps have voted further and further away from the center over time. The Dems have moved away a bit too, but not nearly as far as the Reps.

You can read more about the methodology here if you wish. https://voteview.com/about

Is it possible that the Dems SEEM to be moving further left, when in reality, the Reps moving further right merely makes it look that way ?

Feb 14, 2021, 4:06 PM

No it’s not that it seems the right is moving more right. Look at what’s accepted in society today as the norm. Talk to college kids, etc. The soul of the country has moved left.

Feb 14, 2021, 8:22 PM

Your individual perception has no basis in reality - and no supporting evidence.

Feb 14, 2021, 8:56 PM

Are you seriously going to claim our culture has not moved away from conservative values? I don’t understand how that is debatable.

With state legislatures having such free reign to

Feb 14, 2021, 2:49 PM [ in reply to Re: RIP, GOP. ]

gerrymander voting districts and the partisan rewards that come with - both Reps and Dems alike - the best path forward here that I see is the open / jungle primary approach. Put all candidates on one ballot and the top two, regardless of party, face off in the general. This has shown an ability to help check more extremist views from riding a minority wave to office. Though that minority might very well be the majority of a majority, it still represents a minority overall and very often a fringe position.

Re: With state legislatures having such free reign to

Feb 14, 2021, 3:38 PM

lou

There are some considered opinions that the federal government has the authority to call for non-partisan redistricting commissions to be required for federal elections. I thought that it was a totally state level thing, too. But some people who may be smarter about it than me seem to think otherwise. It will be interesting to see how it will work out.

I am not sure that you idea would work, although if we combine it with ranked preference voting (is that Quo's baby ?) that might work, in more ways than one.

Feb 14, 2021, 3:54 PM

I love me some ranked choice voting.

It instantly clears out the clown car and all of a sudden instead of holding the line against the dipsh!ts you're talking issues again. Instead of two groups shaking their fists at each other, what you get is a bunch of different tables, all set up market-style, all selling themselves instead of trying to convince the angry mob to go over and blow up the other guy's table.

Ends up being far more a marketplace of ideas and discussion than a shouting contest...and all a sudden then the good ideas start getting heard, not the angriest loudest most divisive derp agitator. The angriest loudest derp agitator looks like the fool he actually is, everybody collectively says: "Uh...no," and the adult discussion ensues again.

Plenty of smart folks out there. It's just hard to hear them through all the noise right now. RCV changes all that, and instantly.

It's going to be entertaining watching Alaskan far-right-wingers who are angry at Lisa Murkowski wrap their heads around this particular notion. They can't primary her and it's going to be even more entertaining to watch what happens in the general because Lisa just won herself mad style points with the libs...and she's got between now and then to remind the conservatives she still is one, at least in terms of actual voting record. If she looks unworried, that would be why.

Feb 14, 2021, 3:58 PM

Quo,

I haven't really gotten the full benefits of RPV like you seem to have, but I will watch the Alaskan experiment with interest to see your baby in action.

Ranked preference, yes.

Feb 14, 2021, 3:56 PM [ in reply to Re: With state legislatures having such free reign to ]

Was too lazy to look up the term.

If there is a path to limit or eliminate gerrymandering for federal office holders - sign me up. Thankfully Texas and a whole bunch of other GOP-led states recently opened the door and led the way for this kind of oversight of federal elections. Seems like there's already a healthy amount of support already for further activity here from a federal level.

Wonder if the dems will change, realizing the ####storm

Feb 14, 2021, 2:12 PM

they must be, leading to someone like Donald Trump beating their all-time most qualified and best candidate?

Fingers crossed.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's always ebbs and flows, reactions, over-reactions,

Feb 14, 2021, 3:29 PM

settlings, then coming to terms, then rinse and repeat.

All of US, our biggest challenge, is tuning out the preponderance of noise, turning off uninformative media, and jumping into other activities. Today's media though is more addictive - mentally and physically - than ever, so the challenge now is that much greater. With the onset of social nets it seems 8x harder to cure than when it was just noise competing on TV.

The medium is the message. It took a while to fully grasp what that meant, but once understood it explains a lot of our poisoned discourse and the growing extremities in wealth, thought, and politics. It's probably more likely that we all consume ourselves first then figure it all out again from whatever's left of the carnage, though I do believe the GOP has a head start here.

Re: There's always ebbs and flows, reactions, over-reactions,

Feb 14, 2021, 3:43 PM

lou

I think you are right. The media's amplification of our differences (& muting of our similarities) is the biggest threat to our country - and lies at the root of most of our other problems.

What we need is an electronic Covid virus - something that would force us off of all of our electronic devices and push us back into real, face-to-face, human interaction.

Re: Wonder if the dems will change, realizing the ####storm

Feb 14, 2021, 3:50 PM [ in reply to Wonder if the dems will change, realizing the ####storm ]

Tig,

I am hopeful that the Dems can take advantage of the shittstorm that is the Republican party.

If they can get the stimulus out before the end of March, and get the vaccines out in a timely manner, then I think the economy will start to really recover in 2022. That (& the bifurcated state of the GOP) should win them the mid-terms.

Feb 14, 2021, 3:52 PM

Feb 14, 2021, 8:24 PM

He is still trying to clean up the mess that Trump left behind while he wasted two months trying to steal an election - and ignored his job. This is the type of thing that you have helpful transitions to avoid.

Don;'t worry though, he will get it all cranked up soon.

Feb 14, 2021, 2:14 PM

Trump has been out of office for a month. He has basically been silent aside from a few public statements.

You idiots still can’t stop talking about him. He is living rent feee in your head. Get some sleep bro

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 14, 2021, 3:45 PM

MT

I agree that is silence has been a pleasant cessation of the chaos the he generated as President. I am happy to see it go.

But the ripples are still moving across the lake and it will be interested to see how the effect the surrounding environment.

Feb 14, 2021, 6:58 PM

Tobias,

We don’t seem to agree on much, but I do appreciate the cordial manner in which you respond to posts. It’s something I need to get better at.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 14, 2021, 8:25 PM

Thank-you.

Feb 14, 2021, 5:00 PM

Welcome TOP

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If I had $1 for every time I've read that in the last 20 yrs***

Feb 14, 2021, 7:26 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We have no shortage of the history-ignorant up in here.***

Feb 14, 2021, 9:20 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 32
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic