Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Questions about Watson situation
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 7
| visibility 1

Questions about Watson situation

May 30, 2013, 9:35 AM

1. High School head coach saying "He is personally taking over Watson's recruitment and shutting it down"

Now Watson has said he wants to go to Clemson and shut down recruiting but still chose to go to Auburn. Kids change their minds daily if any of you have dealt with them yourselves. No big deal Clemson gets some that change their minds and lose some that go elsewhere just like every team. My concern is below.

I have never heard of this from a head coach, most say something to the effect of I will support him wherever he goes and will give advise if asked. Tiger fans would be up in arms if the head coach of a recruit was shutting out Clemson from getting him on campus to talk to Dabo etc and many Tigers would be saying the head coach must have been paid by the dirty programs.

Now I see Tiger fans saying the Auburn asst must have been paid to get Watson to go down there. If you believe that you have to address the odd choice of the head coach getting involved pro Clemson.

I believe he is a Tiger in the end due to wanting to be a Tiger. I do however, take issue with the coaches involvement because that could easily happen the other way around for Clemson in the future. Knowing when recruits set foot in the mountains, they fall in love, that would be terrible to not even get the chance due to a high school head coach getting too involved.

Watson did lie and needs to learn and grow from his mistake and the situation should not be candy coated due to him being a high profile recruit.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Questions about Watson situation

May 30, 2013, 9:43 AM

happens all the time. And, yes, if your school is shut out due to the situation...you complain and cry foul, then move on to the next guy.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 30, 2013, 9:44 AM

The statement from the head coach can be interpreted a number of ways.

I believe he is "shutting it down" (i.e. not entertaining calls from college coaches, etc.) because he sees this could evolve into a major distraction for his high school team. If rumors persist and the heat turns up from college coaches hoping to flip Watson, it could distract Watson from focusing on his senior season and have a negative consequence on the field.

By making this proclamation he is telling his assistants, "Watson is committed to Clemson until he says so. This whole situation has the potential to derail our promising season. If you go behind my back (i.e. the assistant who dropped Watson off at Auburn without telling the HC) there will be consequences."

Honestly I see it as a HC trying to protect his own football team and season, instead of seeing it as a HC trying to protect a commitment to Clemson.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 30, 2013, 9:52 AM

Definitely agree that the HC is trying to protect the team from distraction.
Could also be the coach is something of a father figure to the young man and is trying to steer him in the right direction.
Have read recently that the young man's father is not around.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

happens a lot & glad to see advisors/teachers/coaches

May 30, 2013, 9:50 AM

doing what they are supposed to do 'in the best interest of the student' & what might be in theirs.

idk what the asst coach had to gain, maybe nothing, but he had time to 'walk' dw through his choice to go & the possible repercussions if he did.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 30, 2013, 9:51 AM

Find a dictionary. Look up 'usurp.'

Do you suppose the HC usurped this position? How do you suppose he got this power? From whence did this power to shutdown recruiting come?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think that people get carried away with situations they

May 30, 2013, 10:02 AM

can't control and know basically nothing about.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 30, 2013, 10:06 AM

I really think that what the HC is saying here is this. No coaches are to take Watson on any recruiting trips unless he knows about it before they gas up the car period.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 7
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic