Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Question for the old timers who attended last Big Thursday game
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 1

Question for the old timers who attended last Big Thursday game

Dec 22, 2016, 2:47 PM

For anyone who attended the last Big Thursday football game in 1959......

I know we won, 27-0 I think. But did the goal post get torn down? I have a one-foot section of white metal goalpost that I have been told was from that game. The story told to me was that they tore it down, took it over to the farmers market, and cut it up with hack saws.

Is this a true story or not? Just wondering.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Question for the old timers who attended last Big Thursday game

Dec 22, 2016, 3:03 PM

I was at that game as a sophomore. Our seats, as I remember, were pretty good in those days - down low and around the 30-yard line on the eastern end. What I don't remember is WHY I went, being from Greenville, except that was my very first Big Thurs game. That was a pretty good drive back then. I do not remember any goal post being torn down; I kind of doubt that happened. I can't imagine that happening in their stadium without some terrific fights.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 22, 2016, 3:16 PM

I was probably there, but don't remember specifics. I lived in Cootlumbia for 10 or so years mid 50's - 60's and sold cokes at most games. One thing I do remember is that the State Fair would have been where the Farmers Market usually was.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

monter le cheval de fer
A coot will usually blink when hit in the head with a ball-peen hammer

Dec 22, 2016, 3:18 PM

I was not there but:
1. My moms parents were so I will ask her.
2. My mom has 2 ticket stubs from that game.
3. Sorry...no pigs of mom or grandmom!!!

Dec 22, 2016, 3:28 PM

I was there. I was in the 8th grade and went with a friend and his father. Don't remember about goalposts. I do remember the student sections emptying onto the sidelines to confront each other. It was a good day for Clemson.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

All for one and one for all.

Re I came down fro m the upstate with an older brother. We

Dec 22, 2016, 3:41 PM

left right before the game was over. The one thing that i remember about those games was the smart ### remarks thrown at us in the parking lot by Columbia Police officers. That was enough to turn me against the Coots and Columbia forever.

Re: Re I came down fro m the upstate with an older brother. We

Dec 22, 2016, 4:51 PM

I was a Clemson freshman in 1959 and went to the game. Sorry I don't remember the goal post. I do remember, I think, a coot fraternity coming out from the Clemson side before the start of the game dressed in some HS uniforms. As the Clemson fans cheered, they start doing all kinds of crazy antics. Quickly the students realized what was happening and a scream went up, "get'em rats". It was game on as all the rats poured out onto the field. Lucky everyone escaped with their lives.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

According to this book.......

Dec 22, 2016, 4:12 PM

and the writer's were well informed and lived the Clemson history, the goal posts indeed did come down

Clemson: Where the Tigers Play
By Sam Blackman, Bob Bradley, Chuck Kriese

On page 52 of the book:

October 22, 1959
Clemson won the last Big Thursday game by defeating South Carolina 27-0. Clemson fans ripped down the steel goal posts which were set in concrete.

Look on the right to see it

https://books.google.com/books?id=zPugTuXMEq8C&pg=PA52&lpg=PA52&dq=last+big+thursday+game+for+clemson%2Bgoalposts&source=bl&ots=dKYKwLMCGb&sig=DGi53PKvyEbdXUUDgPS5VyinbTs&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwijsJ-I2IjRAhUJxlQKHTXzCVwQ6AEIKDAC#v=onepage&q=last%20big%20thursday%20game%20for%20clemson%2Bgoalposts&f=false

also can be found: http://www.tigernet.com/football/history/timeline.jsp

Well, dad's story may be true. He's been known to tell

Dec 22, 2016, 4:37 PM

a fish tale or three. I'm pretty sure it's a piece of goalpost. Looks like one at least. A bunch of people scratched their names on it as well.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 23, 2016, 10:30 AM

I will ask my Dad tonight. He was there

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Replies: 9
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic