Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Question for the old timers
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 1

Question for the old timers

Apr 23, 2020, 9:25 AM

Like everyone, ive been thinking a lot about this virus. I'm curious about the lasting psychological impact it has on our society. My question is are we always going to be worried about infecting the elderly and protecting them? At what point will you feel safe even being around you families again?

My great mom died about 10 years ago from the common cold, which turned into pneumonia. She was 96 years old so obviously that plays a role, but I was thinking about it with all this stuff going on.

See my great grandma was the matriarch of our family. She had 8 children, each of them had multiple children, who had multiple children. There were quite a lot of us. She was your stereotypical southern grandma. Member of the 1st baptist church, her pots and pans had decades of flavor built up on them, every birthday she sent you a card with $2. We gathered as an entire family for all the major holidays at her house, and the first thing you did when you walked in that door was give grammy a hug and kiss and she'd tell you she loved you. It was also the last thing you did before you walked out.

I'd say there are 100+ of us in my extended family. Every single one of us gave her a hug and kiss twice each time we saw her. With the media bringing it to such light about social distancing and how much you interact with others and how it's not necassarily about you getting the virus but giving it to someone, who gives it to someone, who gives it to someone at risk it obviously now it seems like that was a terrible idea. With all the little kids that were in school interacting with hundreds of other little kids, all of us in the work force interacting with hundreds of people. It wasn't something you ever thought about but now it will be.

It just something I've been thinking about. Are we just going to isolate our elderly family members forever? When will it be safe to gather as families again? Has it actually ever been safe? What kind of psychological impact will that have on the elderly? I'm pretty convinced my grandma is most happy when she is around her "grand babies" as she calls us. I think it would devastate her if we didn't allow her to come to christmas dinner this year, but is it actually safe?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Question for the old timers

Apr 23, 2020, 9:43 AM

There will be much to think about now when it comes to displays of affection, and even getting together. This ugly genie beast now is out of the bottle, seemingly starting in China, but whoever started it has made a huge mess for all. I hope we get it cleaned up, SOON!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 23, 2020, 9:55 AM

I’m 70 and I’ve been overjoyed that both of my sons have come to see me during this strange time.

I’ve given them both big hugs when they came in the door and when they left.

I refuse to be afraid.

If I’m going to die from hugging my kids, then so be it.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 23, 2020, 10:01 AM

Count me in with you, no hugs = no qualify of life!

Apr 23, 2020, 9:59 AM

I think the truth is that it's never been "safe" and that we've always spread germs which, if we were lucky, we developed immunities to. I'm mid 70s and have had no problem with my personal 30 days of isolation cause I've been with my husband, not truly alone. But true isolation is a hard and sad thing. I miss hugging my grandbabies more than Anything In the World! I'm depending on the rest of y'all to Get Back to Work and develop that herd immunity so I can always get the grandbaby snuggles that keep me sane!

Apr 23, 2020, 10:11 AM

My mom passed away on Dec. 10 last year. She died of pneumonia. Certainly my family and I would have been worried to death of this virus had she still been alive and even though we miss her we are thankful she wasn't around. She was one of the ones that would have definitely not survived it. My thoughts are and the thoughts of my MD daughter are that if pneumonia is your end, it doesn't matter if it's the virus, the flu or a common cold, you will fall victim to pneumonia.

Apr 23, 2020, 10:29 AM

Many of those who lived through the depression were changed. Their thoughts on banks and savings were built on the Depression's foundation. I remember thinking my Grandpa was a little off in his thinking, but I was not looking at things through his eyes. The country changed greatly during his life, but he carried what the Depression to his generation through out his life.

As time passes, our country will have a natural change to how we socialize, communicate, and work. Those of us who will have lived through this will always be influenced by the pandemic, and the future generations will think we are a little off in our thinking.

I'm confused about all the data. We keep hearing that the

Apr 23, 2020, 10:36 AM

elderly are more likely to get it but I was looking at the demographic breakdown in SC and it's fairly evenly spread out among all the adult age groups. I'm 66 and healthy. Still don't know what to think about the data other than I'm being pretty careful.

Re: I'm confused about all the data. We keep hearing that the

Apr 23, 2020, 11:59 AM

I believe that you can take data or statistics and prove or disprove about anything you wish to debate. You can make it work for you or against you in many cases. It’s best to deal with realism. This virus is for real. It’s dangerous and it’s contagious. So we need to respect its power right now until someone solves the riddle.

It’s interesting to read about the history of pandemics in the world. This isn’t the first time the world has been threatened by “the plague” nor is it the first time commerce has been affected. During this downtime do some research on pandemics that have surfaced in the early 1300’s if not before. The world has always survived these disasters but often at great sacrifice to human life.... and industry.

Re: I'm confused about all the data. We keep hearing that the

Apr 23, 2020, 12:06 PM [ in reply to I'm confused about all the data. We keep hearing that the ]

Covid-19 doesn’t discriminate. Everyone is susceptible to being infected. The elderly are just considered more vulnerable to serious complications, that’s all.

Yes someone just told me that even though it's spread

Apr 23, 2020, 1:07 PM

pretty evenly among the population that the elderly are more likely to die or have more serious complications. I guess I thought I heard that more of us by percentage were getting it.

Re: Yes someone just told me that even though it's spread

Apr 23, 2020, 4:13 PM

Without more widespread testing, I don’t think they really have any idea how many people throw ghost the population have actually been infected at his point.

Older people are just more likely to demonstrate the symptoms and to be sick enough to show up at the hospital.

Apr 23, 2020, 12:41 PM

You bring up an interesting point and there have been some excellent responses. One MD on TV has said the day for the friendly handshake is gone and we will now go with the "elbow rub". I was greeter at my church for many years, finally giving it up last December. I shook hands had lots of hugs and kisses and never thought about becoming infected by someone. I've had people with colds, etc, that said they did not want to shake my hand and pass along their ailment. That was very thoughtful.

What do we do now? Do we decline to serve as greeters or in some other capacity where we are in close contact with people who may be immune to a virus but can still pass their illness on to those of us who may be vulnerable? From a personal view, to live without a hug and kiss from my grand and great grand children would compare to living in isolation, and that's not for me. I would not want them to have a guilt complex if they should infect me with a fatal illness.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think you'll find a lot of us "oldtimers,"

Apr 23, 2020, 3:05 PM

while being cautious, are not ready to isolate ourselves from society nor families.

In fact, I've been running errands and shopping for "elderly" friends (confession: I'm nearly 73,) and I haven't hesitated to do so, while continuing to work parttime, assisting a close friend with his business.

Having lived through what I have, I've approached this crisis, as level-headedly as possible, without fear nor panic nor with any attitude that I need to "hole-up."

Our younger folks need to see some even-tempered attitudes, especially from those of us who have been around a while.

Meanwhile, best wishes to you.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 23, 2020, 5:09 PM

If you are in the will of God you should not worry about being safe. He will protect you, until He is ready to call you home, which is far better for you.

Paul was writing to the Philippians in Chapter One:

21 For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. 22 [s]But if I am to live on in the flesh, this will mean fruitful labor for me; and I do not know [t]which to choose. 23 But I am hard-pressed from both directions, having the desire to depart and be with Christ, for that is very much better; 24 yet to remain on in the flesh is more necessary for your sake.

If you do not know Christ, be worried.

Replies: 14
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic