Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Question for racing fans
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 2,030

Question for racing fans

Feb 17, 2020, 9:37 PM

I know nothing about racing, but what Blaney did on that last lap looked what the cops call a PIT maneuver. Is that considered a legitimate tactic?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Fingers could be pointed either way

Feb 17, 2020, 9:55 PM

Newman was blocking and Blaney didn't let up

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

monter le cheval de fer
A coot will usually blink when hit in the head with a ball-peen hammer

Re: Fingers could be pointed either way

Feb 17, 2020, 10:34 PM

Blaney said he was trying to push him to the checker flag, he had given up on the pas. I believe him.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's illegal to intentionally do it, but you can't really

Feb 17, 2020, 10:00 PM

prove intent unless he tells on himself.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Question for racing fans

Feb 17, 2020, 10:07 PM

That is going to happen late in the race especially at Daytona. It did not look intential to me.

Feb 17, 2020, 10:08 PM

Intentional*

Feb 17, 2020, 10:17 PM

Blaney is one of the down to earth good guys of racing. He did the same thing most racers would at the end of a race as big as Daytona, he kept the hammer down. Newman went way out of his way to block Blaney, it was his own fault for trying to stop a much faster car.

Just my opinion.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

It's something I've never understood about neckcar.

Feb 17, 2020, 10:18 PM

I don't think Blaney or anybody did anything intentional or wrong on that last lap. In my view, I'd say it was just racing; highly skilled drivers who understood the risk they were taking. I don't have a problem with that; the inherent danger is part of the sport. I do hate that kind of racing, however, on the big tracks where they stay all bunched up. Sometimes I think their effort to make things safer have only made them more dangerous. What I don't understand is how it's wrong to "block" somebody, but it's perfectly fine to kill somebody if they do block you. There doesn't seem to be any kind of hard, fast, consistent rule in that regard, and assigning blame when somebody gets tapped and spun out depends largely on the drivers involved. In a race, it seems to me that if you don't have the skill and car to drive around somebody, then you shouldn't have the right to wreck them to get them out of your way.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: It's something I've never understood about neckcar.

Feb 18, 2020, 12:08 AM

That is what got Dale Earnhardt killed, he was blocking Ken Schrader when Schrader bumped into him in the corner. Schrader didn't mean to cause Dale's death, but Dale is dead bc he got bumped at 200 MPH in a turn at Daytona bc they only feather the throttle in those turns at Daytona!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I thought it was Sterling Marlin that bumped Dale Sr..

Feb 18, 2020, 8:25 AM

But my memory isn't that great anymore.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Thanks for all the responses

Feb 17, 2020, 10:22 PM

That helps me to understand a complicated situation.

Feb 17, 2020, 10:24 PM

At super speedways like Daytona and Talladega its hammer down the whole way around the track. In other words they hold the pedal to the floor and never lift. So when they get on each other’s bumper they can’t lift or else they’ll lose all their momentum. Newman cut down the track to block and rules say they aren’t allowed to go below the yellow line to pass. So when they are bumper to bumper the man behind is frantically trying to get around the other guy, especially coming to the checkered flag. Blaney was trying to get around Newman and when their bumpers are touching this is the result. Not either ones fault it’s just this style or racing.

Feb 17, 2020, 10:27 PM

Double file restart is just as much to blame as blocking. However, Blocking should not be allowed. Indy car series does not allow blocking.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2013_nascar_champ.gif2014_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Question for racfing fans

Feb 17, 2020, 10:37 PM

Thats why nobody in USA watches IRL.

Feb 17, 2020, 10:41 PM

I don’t think Blaney was performing a PIT maneuver in this situation at all. I believe he was planning on drafting off Newman for a few seconds and then try to slingshot around at the last second to win the race. If there was enough time and he didn’t brush Newman too hard, Blaney and Newman together would have easily blown by Hamlin, who was up high alone.

You see more of the “spinning them out” maneuvers on the shorter tracks like Darlington or Bristol.

Feb 18, 2020, 2:13 AM

Wasn’t intentional or a PIT maneuver.

Replies: 15
| visibility 2,030
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic