Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Question about Internet Service
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 4
| visibility 1,121

Question about Internet Service

Dec 29, 2020, 10:56 AM

I live a little off the beaten path. I am needing/wanting high speed cable internet. My neighbors, directly across the street have Northland Cable high speed cable internet, but I cannot get it at my residence. We both live near the roadway, across from each other.

Does anyone know what would make my residence not serviceable for internet but the house across the street is serviceable. I am desperate for high speed internet.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Men at 25 play football. Men at 40 play tennis. Men at 60 play golf. Have you noticed as men get older their balls get smaller.

Re: Question about Internet Service

Dec 29, 2020, 11:36 AM

Probably just have to call northland and ask them who owns the lines. Usually some other company. Then call them and tell them your situation. They probably don’t have a good understanding of the access to your property and are just writing you off.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 29, 2020, 11:36 AM

Well, here is the northland service area map. Yeah, it looks service does follow some roads. Someone with more tech install experience could explain more.

https://www.highspeedinternet.com/providers/northland-communications

In our case, our farm is at the ledge of a town and a oddly long distance to a potential hook-up. It would require to cross a ridge and despite the next parcel over being hooked up, the line ran from the opposite side of their parcel. I think we were quoted about 14-18K to hook up the main farmhouse for internet/cable and through a 3rd party. Thus wasn't Northland but it might be one of those things that you have to assume the branch costs. It might be a longer conversation higher up the customer service line.

In the end, we did not get the cable run to the main farmhouse but we will run it out when we build the next house a little ways. So we will get two homes and the service extended at the same time and roll that cost into the new construction.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It is absolutely about "Service Zones." Many years ago I

Dec 29, 2020, 11:42 AM

lived in a new apartment complex in the "Pepperhill" area just outside Charleston. There were two competing cable companies battling in court over coverage of that particular area. The boundary line literally went right through the middle of our new apartment complex. The apartment right next to us had cable, and we couldn't get it, even though it literally was right next door. It took a couple of months worth of complaining, and finally slipping a cable install tech a few bucks on the side to finally get hooked up. Payola, the Amurican Way. :)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 29, 2020, 11:46 AM

Almost certainly jurisdictional with the road being the boundary between two providers. Because your property is contiguous to the other provider, I would suggest petitioning the PSC (Public Service commission or equivalent) to modify the boundary.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 4
| visibility 1,121
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic