Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Deer outdoorsy people...opinions needed
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 63
| visibility 1

Deer outdoorsy people...opinions needed

Feb 26, 2021, 8:38 AM

Rooftop tents. I can't stop shopping them. I want one for my old Land Rover that's all built out for "Overlanding" (the new $20 word for off-roadin).

As I see it though, could be the awesomest thing ever, or could be a $1500 mistake (although if so, would be easy enough to resell).

You guys are a practical lot.....potential downsides?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Being too fat for Old Land Rover roof to support?

Feb 26, 2021, 8:41 AM

Not sleeping inside.

Would be easier to set tent up on ground.

1800-IGOHOJO.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Being too fat for Old Land Rover roof to support?

Feb 26, 2021, 8:42 AM

1) I'm not there yet. I mean, probably a couple Cinnabons away from it, but not there yet.

2) Maybe so

3) Believe it or not these are easier. two latches, pop up, done.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah, but it's elevated

Feb 26, 2021, 8:46 AM

I'm not old enough to wake up to pee in the middle of the night, but I could see you pulling a wilbur82® or a tigermanac® climbing down from there at 3 am.

Re: Yeah, but it's elevated

Feb 26, 2021, 9:14 AM

Solution: I take a orange juice bottle, tropicana has a larger opening for my thic parts, that seals good, up with me at night.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Put it in your pillowcase afterwards for added warmth***

Feb 26, 2021, 9:21 AM

"why doe the OJ taste funny?"***

Feb 26, 2021, 9:50 AM [ in reply to Re: Yeah, but it's elevated ]

Because he killed Nicole Brown and Ron Goldman in 1994,

Feb 26, 2021, 10:01 AM

that is why.

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

For the record

Feb 26, 2021, 10:32 AM [ in reply to Yeah, but it's elevated ]

Wilbur82 has too much money to sleep on top of a car.

He may sleep inside a car with the right accompaniments, such as:

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

https://as1.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/00/81/16/28/1000_F_81162810_8TlZDomtVuVGlyqWL2I4HA7Wlqw7cr5a.jpg

Re: For the record

Feb 26, 2021, 11:31 AM

this picture actually just made my brain short-circuit

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Yeah, but it's elevated

Feb 26, 2021, 11:03 AM [ in reply to Yeah, but it's elevated ]

buddy woke up so drunk that he couldn't fine the zipper door on his tent....cut a hole in his tent with a pocketknife to pee out of

Re: Deer outdoorsy people...opinions needed

Feb 26, 2021, 8:42 AM

Looks really try-hardy. If you get one, make sure you start a hiking themed travel influencer instagram page, where every post is peeking out through the tent flap at some yawning vista.

Like this

or this. Bonus points for outdoorsy coffee pot.

Funny and accurate, but it raises one of my concerns....

Feb 26, 2021, 8:44 AM

These might be a better idea out west, where there are a LOT more federal lands where you can park and camp wherever you want, and actually have views like this.

I dunno. But around here "outdoorsy" people generally don't

Feb 26, 2021, 8:50 AM

sleep on top of SUV's. They tend to pitch a tent on the ground, in the woods, or in a field. Might be a better question posed to city slickers who live a long way from SC. You may find a few locals who sleep in the back of their pickup trucks. But that's usually when their wife kicks them out of the house. They may provide some tips on sleeping in a pickup truck bed.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's what I love about you man.

Feb 26, 2021, 8:52 AM

Often incorrect, never in doubt.

Re: That's what I love about you man.

Feb 26, 2021, 8:55 AM

He has a point. I suppose maybe we might have different ideas about what "outdoorsy" means, but I'd put myself in the running for biggest outdoorsman here and I don't even own a tent. Maybe that's just the difference between hunting/fishing culture and hiking/camping culture though.

I get it. It's definitely closer to pulling up with

Feb 26, 2021, 9:02 AM

an airstream than it is through-hiking the AT on the spectrum of roughing it, but I'm looking at it for other uses too beyond camping, primarily around motorsports. Tow track car to NCM or Road Atlanta for the weekend, pop up tent, crash when not driving/watching/repairing crap I broke.

Thanks. But really

Feb 26, 2021, 8:58 AM [ in reply to That's what I love about you man. ]

I've never met someone who does that around here. Know a few people who sleep in a pickup truck bed from time to time, and have those rigged up. Or "overlanding"? Never heard the term uttered around the fire pit at the hunting club in Jacksonboro, or among any of the scout parents, or even my friend who's climbed 2 of the world's 5 highest peaks. But those folks are definitely "outdoorsy" types. None have slept on top of an SUV or mentioned "overlanding".

Just sayin.....

I'm sure it's a thing somewhere though. Just haven't been exposed to it in SC.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I dunno. But around here "outdoorsy" people generally don't

Feb 26, 2021, 9:20 AM [ in reply to I dunno. But around here "outdoorsy" people generally don't ]

RTT are definitely more popular out west. They are all made in China in the same manufacturer I think. I like it because I can pull my boat too. If you old and decrepit, have a 90 lb. dog to haul up a ladder, or worried about squirrels setting up a nest with you not for you. I carry a backpack tent and a hammock also. I like the idea of ninja camping.

ninja camping?

Feb 26, 2021, 10:30 AM

is that hiking in those funny ninja shoes?

National Parks, LOLUTZ.

Feb 26, 2021, 10:05 AM [ in reply to Funny and accurate, but it raises one of my concerns.... ]

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/travel/deaths-national-parks-top-safety/2021/02/25/1b50c71e-6d77-11eb-ba56-d7e2c8defa31_story.html

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I few random musings/thoughts. Brainstorm rapid fire here

Feb 26, 2021, 10:45 AM [ in reply to Re: Deer outdoorsy people...opinions needed ]

without much thought. Sorry for the rambling.

Ghay, when would you actually use it, what's wrong with a tent on the ground for that price, how comfy could it possibly be up on the roof of a car, are you worried about lions, how do you make reproductive motions up there, gimmicky, looks like a place for 2 dudes, dumb, do not buy, the end.

You are getting old, the trip to roof may

be difficult and the return trip may be deadly.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Honestly? Seems like one of the dumbest things ever.***

I look from time to time too

debating over a pickup camper shell or a rooftop.

Kind of like this thing - https://www.4wheelparts.com/p/smittybilt-gen2-overlander-tent-xl-2683/_/R-DSBP-2683

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”
Isaac Asimov

IMO the juice isn't worth the squeeze

Feb 26, 2021, 8:47 AM

I recently checked em out too...my consensus was:
- I don't really see the value in sleeping on the roof of my truck (especially having to buy the rail system) vs using my normal backpacking tent. I'd rather get a camper shell for the truck, but I want to sell my truck and I would look like a grandpa.
- With a kid on the way, they seem pretty small for a family. Also seems harder to scale, per se, thatna normal backpacking rig.
- A rooftop tent doesn't get you anywhere a normal tent would, except maybe a mud bog or swamp (which is why i was looking, for duck season) nor does it seem to provide much benefit except when the ground would be super cold (let's be honest, range rover driving, front row parking, gentlemen like yourself wouldn't be camping with the poors in cold weather)

So...cool concept, but overpriced, and doesn't seem to provide much benefit for what I would use it for but has a slick design for sure.

My conclusion was to get a camper shell for my truck, or one of those off-road tear drop trailer camper thingys, or even one of those pole "man camp" tents, if I decided to upgrade from my Nemo.

I suppose if you have an unhealthy fear of snakes and other

Feb 26, 2021, 8:54 AM

small earthbound critters, this would appeal to you.

I'd be afraid I'd wake up disoriented and forget I was 10' off the ground when I woke up to take a whizz.
If you drink, probably need to stick with a tent on the ground.

hammock. done., especially when drunk and it starts swingin

Feb 26, 2021, 10:34 AM

then you can puke over the side and not worry about waking up in it

I've looked at those, but the idea seems a little limiting.***

Feb 26, 2021, 8:48 AM

This is the whitest, city boiest thing I've ever seen

Feb 26, 2021, 8:52 AM

and I've seen clemsonrulez08® #######

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

lemme help you relate to it.

Feb 26, 2021, 8:57 AM

Drive to Charleston for some two-hearted. Set up camp in the North Charleston Walmart, you in the comfy tent, kids in the truck, stay in parking lot for free until "my car broke down/my wife needs an operation" scheme has netted enough gas money for return trip home. Net expenditure for lodging, $0.

My 2001 Chevy square body doesn't have a roof rack

Feb 26, 2021, 8:58 AM

### hole

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

Wait, so there's Bell's Two Hearted in Charleston

Feb 26, 2021, 9:31 AM [ in reply to lemme help you relate to it. ]

Can you confirm this ? If so, see you later buckos

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wait hold up. 0$ for lodging only after you dropped $3800 on

Feb 26, 2021, 9:35 AM [ in reply to lemme help you relate to it. ]

the roof tent setup.

Plausible analogy, except for the two-hearted part

Feb 26, 2021, 9:54 AM [ in reply to lemme help you relate to it. ]

Natty light, Busch light, or PBR would all be better beers to inspire that demographic to the Wal-Mart parking lot. Otherwise, plausible analogy.

I'd take Obed in my city boy five a side

Mar 1, 2021, 8:20 AM [ in reply to This is the whitest, city boiest thing I've ever seen ]

And with your potential new digs in the city, you could possibly be our water boy

FBCoachSC®

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsonrulez08.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Please forgive me, @IneligibleUser

No way, man. Your LR is just a transport system

Feb 26, 2021, 8:55 AM

to the perfect Tentsile location.

You KNOW these look way more fun than a stupid tent on top of a vehicle.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ratbastard jpg.

Feb 26, 2021, 8:57 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That seems like the most impractical thing ever

that I would really like to own.

OR...hear me out:

Should have

Photoshopped a tent on top

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”
Isaac Asimov

Oh look, Rotisseri style

Feb 26, 2021, 9:06 AM [ in reply to Ratbastard jpg. ]

said the momma bear to her cubs. :O

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

John 3:16; 14:1-6

just get a Westy instead.

https://gnomadhome.com/volkswagen-vanagon-for-van-life/

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

These are actually coming to the US this year.

Feb 26, 2021, 9:04 AM

I already have one of these vans as a company vehicle, and it looks like the roof conversion would be around $10k. Seems a little more than the tangible value of said conversion to me.

"Why We Chose A Volkswagen Vanagon For Van Life"

Feb 26, 2021, 9:04 AM [ in reply to just get a Westy instead. ]

Because you're an #######.

badge-ringofhonor-clemsonsteve02.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Came here to say this. Do it, Obed, and let me borrow it

Feb 26, 2021, 9:30 AM [ in reply to just get a Westy instead. ]

for a couple months.

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 26, 2021, 9:04 AM

I'm on my second one. I love it. Sleep better than my own bed. Much easier to level your vehicle than find a spot and clear for tent. Up off the ground is a great way to sleep. They have pretty good mattresses in them. I now have a hard top, fold out type. Hard tops pack up easier and no climbing around and zipping the sides down, etc. I can leave my sleeping bag and pillows in it when I pack it. Downside is you have to pack it to leave your site, obviously. It only takes me about two minutes to setup and about five to take down. If it's raining no big deal compared to a tent. Check out Overlandbound.com they have many discussions about all things overland camping. I've learned a lot from people all over that do it much more than I.

Where's the ladder? or is it the hood to the door handle

Feb 26, 2021, 9:05 AM

...to ??? Why not just sleep under the vehicle? Dang, people make fun stuff hard. :)

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

John 3:16; 14:1-6

On the Disco it's on the rear gate.

Feb 26, 2021, 9:22 AM

As an out of shape middle-aged person, I would not wanna climb one.

climbing it is easy.

Feb 26, 2021, 9:46 AM

Getting your foot caught in it and falling from the second to the top rung is where it sucks.

With your bad knee, Ed

Feb 26, 2021, 9:48 AM [ in reply to On the Disco it's on the rear gate. ]

You really shouldn’t be climbing anything.

where do the dogs sleep?

Feb 26, 2021, 9:14 AM

would be good though if you have lions in the area

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

Re: where do the dogs sleep?

Feb 26, 2021, 9:22 AM

Or bears, or too many rocks and crap to clear a tent spot. Big dogs are on their own.

Message was edited by: FishinCrazy®

Lift their dog assses into the tent.

Feb 26, 2021, 9:48 AM [ in reply to where do the dogs sleep? ]

How the hell else are you going to stay warm sleeping outside?

You need three dogs.

Feb 26, 2021, 10:08 AM

At night.

TIL that the 2006 basic white MILF car is popular.

Feb 26, 2021, 9:44 AM

I bought a '04 Disco in '08 with about 50K miles on it and my (then) 22 year old BIL laughed at me. He asked me who's soccer mom car I stole.

Maybe he knew just how tired

Feb 26, 2021, 10:41 AM

The castings were by 2004 that they used to make that block.

only SOME of the cylinder sleeves come loose.

Feb 26, 2021, 11:11 AM

But ALL of the head gaskets leak eventually.

Whats the big deal?

Feb 26, 2021, 9:45 AM

Not very aerodynamic and if you're hell bent on a mobile meth lab, I'd go with a Winnebago or really fool the narcs with an Airstream. Good luck!

The Jeep "overlanding" crowd is into those big time.

Feb 26, 2021, 9:47 AM

I'm not sure why they are all in a hurry to sleep outside on top of their car, but whatever.

They make some pretty cool ones for the gladiator truck.

The only potential downside I see, is that if you've only

Feb 26, 2021, 10:50 AM

camped 1-2 times in the past 10 years, a rooftop tent isn't going to change that.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

LDR Enuff for Landrover

Feb 26, 2021, 11:06 AM

Too UDP for hotel.

Sounds uncomfortable a sheit

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm not sure what the benefit is over a regular ground tent.

Feb 26, 2021, 11:41 AM

The roof tents are popular in Africa, but there's much more of a wildlife threat.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I bought one and the rack for the Gladiator

Feb 26, 2021, 7:08 PM

I also splurged for the tailgate cooktop. Will send a tmail with details.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 63
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic