Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Pro Golfers Clubs
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 6
| visibility 1

Pro Golfers Clubs

Aug 19, 2019, 10:49 PM

Have a question that was stimulated by Justin Thomas’ left handed swing yesterday... Do any golfers carry an opposite handed club in their bag for such a scenario? Think they are limited to 14 clubs? Also - if a left handed golfer is playing with a right hander can they use each other’s clubs ? Think the answer to this question would be NO ... -:)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If people were as good as their obituary - and products were as good as advertised - this would truly be a wonderful world !!

Re: Pro Golfers Clubs

Aug 19, 2019, 10:53 PM

Never heard of either situation. If I were guessing (and I am), I think carrying an opposite handed club would be within the rules and using someone else's clubs would not. Even my small home course has a rule that everyone must bring their own clubs. However, they don't exactly monitor if my buddy wants to try my driver or vice versa.

Message was edited by: TNTiger17

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 19, 2019, 11:10 PM

Pro golfers do NOT carry an opposite handed club, they simply turn a wedge upside down and swing it lefty like JT did. They (and other good players) occasionally practice this shot for emergency situations. That shot is handy around greenside bunkers where sometimes you can’t even get a stance to hit the ball normally (a really bad lie).

I’ve seen old guys carry a lefty club for this situation (not pros)... these are also guys that carry 17+ clubs and a ball retriever and everything else they can think of.

You are not allowed to borrow a club from a competitor in a sanctioned competition/tournament.

ZA

Aug 19, 2019, 11:30 PM

Thanks for the info ZA206 ... That’s what I thought... However.. turning the club upside down is pretty awkward .. do they not carry a lefty club because they carry the max allowed righty clubs? Seems that a mid-range iron would be adaptable to most situations... I never carried a lefty club - and actually never thought about the situation until watching Thomas swing left handed ... -:)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If people were as good as their obituary - and products were as good as advertised - this would truly be a wonderful world !!

I actually do this.

Aug 20, 2019, 7:12 AM

I carry 4 left-handed wedges (52, 56, 58, 64) and a left-handed putter and 9 right-handed clubs. I played baseball at Clemson and a little afterwards, and was a left-handed hitter. When I started playing golf, I figured I would play left-handed, but I couldn't get rid of my baseball swing and kept hitting huge fades and slices. I switched to right-handed, and hit it straight, but had no touch. So now inside of 120 yards I switch to left-handed. It has led to a lot of conversations on the golf course. I even have a hole-in-one left and right handed.

Re: I actually do this.

Aug 20, 2019, 8:25 AM

You are allowed to carry a left handed club as long as you do not exceed 14 clubs in your bag. Pros wouldn't unless they were expecting multiple bad shots that would call for an opposite club every round and if that was the case then they probably wouldn't be on tour.

Re: I actually do this.

Aug 20, 2019, 9:33 AM [ in reply to I actually do this. ]

That's incredible Tiger88! Don't think I've ever met a switch hitting golfer. Closest thing I've seen to that was my sister back in the day used to hit left and right interchangeably without realizing it in putt putt.

I can't hit it consistently right handed, let alone left.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 6
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic