Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Prime Rib/Standing Rib Roast
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 1

Prime Rib/Standing Rib Roast

Dec 22, 2020, 11:54 AM

If you feel you make a good one, how do you make yours?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We are experimenting on Christmas Day. Brother is making it

Dec 22, 2020, 11:56 AM

and I believe it is going to be done as such...

Rub with black pepper and salt, sit until room temp, bake in oven at 500 degrees for 20 minutes, cut oven off and leave in for 2 hours. Do not open oven door.

It is a 5# prime rib. He got it on sale and texted me this morning seeing if I wanted some.

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: We are experimenting on Christmas Day. Brother is making it

Dec 22, 2020, 11:59 AM

I am doing the same. I splurged and bought the "prime" prime rib. I just want to do it right. I like the idea of yours though. That sounds like an interesting way to cook.

I do similar but...

Dec 22, 2020, 1:18 PM [ in reply to We are experimenting on Christmas Day. Brother is making it ]

I let sit at room temp for at least 6 hours. Roast on 500° for 5 minutes per pound round up next minute. I insert a meat thermometer and get to about 135° to 140° internal temp. If you have to raise temp at the end of 2 hours because carry over isn’t high enough, be sure to rest the meat for at least half an hour before cutting. If it’s perfect temp after 2 hours with the oven off, it should be rested enough.

I just cooked one that came out pretty good on the day I discovered I had Covid and couldn’t taste my horseradish sauce. But everything looked perfect and the kids said it tasted great.

Explain the room temp thing for 6 hours please. I've heard

Dec 22, 2020, 1:31 PM

of this but never done it, and wonder if it makes a big difference.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That adds the extra flavor of salmonella***

Dec 22, 2020, 1:34 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Raises temp of interior so it takes less time in hot oven,

Dec 22, 2020, 1:40 PM [ in reply to Explain the room temp thing for 6 hours please. I've heard ]

therefore keeps meat from drying out. At least that's how I understand it.

Re: Explain the room temp thing for 6 hours please. I've heard

Dec 22, 2020, 1:45 PM [ in reply to Explain the room temp thing for 6 hours please. I've heard ]

It's the bomb. Been doing this with steaks also. Heavier on the salt plus other seasonings you like and let them sit out for two hours prior to grilling. Amazingly tender and rich with flavor. I will never not do this for all future steak prep providing the opportunity is there.

For prime rib, just knocked one out for the family last week using the 500 degree approach noted above that I found from the recipe below. Worked like a charm. Mine was a 7 pounder. Kept the heat on for an extra 7 minutes though as my oven temp would only register 450 and not 500. Once oven temp dropped to 150 near the 2 hour mark I set it to warm then thermometered. Right at 120 degrees on the dot. Let it ride for another 10 minutes at around 200 and it came out at 127. Rested for 45 minutes. Absolutely spot on medium rare through and through, lots of drippings for pan au jus, it was just freaking awesome. I did add a layer of salt and pepper directly to the meat while it was sitting out (4.5 hours - still a little cool), based on prior successes with other steak cuts, then got back on the recipe method. I also roasted over a cast iron skillet - they keep their heat well and it was easy to go at it for the au jus afterwards.

https://www.thespruceeats.com/medium-rare-prime-rib-method-x-101470

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It’s a very big piece of meat.

Dec 22, 2020, 2:34 PM [ in reply to Explain the room temp thing for 6 hours please. I've heard ]

It will still be cold on the inside and will definitely effect cooking time if it is still cold when you start cooking. You can cook meat cold, you’ll just have to more closely monitor time and temp.

And no, with a big piece of meat like that, that is salted, that you are about to blast at 500°, there is no real risk of food born illness.

Re: We are experimenting on Christmas Day. Brother is making it

Dec 22, 2020, 5:31 PM [ in reply to We are experimenting on Christmas Day. Brother is making it ]

Do a reverse sear.
When you seat on the front end you get rings of well done a few inches from the outer edge.
Cook it low and slow then sear it the last few minutes. This leaves it medium rare all the way to the edge of the meat and the sear puts a bark on the outside only.
https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/245638/reverse-sear-prime-rib-roast/

Standing.

Dec 22, 2020, 12:07 PM

Sirriusly, not that hard Google some recipes that includes a salt/pepper rub, let it sit for 24-48 hours in the fridge.

Just have a good temp probe, a good knife and some time.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

https://as1.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/00/81/16/28/1000_F_81162810_8TlZDomtVuVGlyqWL2I4HA7Wlqw7cr5a.jpg

Re: Standing.

Dec 22, 2020, 12:20 PM

It's not hard at all, but a lot of people do it different ways. I have done well with mine in the past, but I like keeping an open mind.

Re: Prime Rib/Standing Rib Roast

Dec 22, 2020, 12:13 PM

dry brine it w/ kosher salt for 24 - 48 hrs, let it sit in the fridge

rub it down with worcesteshire sauce, coat with black pepper (coarse ground). can use whatever seasoning you like

I smoke mine slow and low until it gets to about 100-105. Then I put it in the oven on high heat to crisp the edges and get it to 125-130. wrap and let it rest for about 20-30 min

If you can get your smoker hot quickly, or have a gas grill, do that too.

Here's the best method. Preheat oven to 500 F

Dec 22, 2020, 12:19 PM

put it in, add a minute for the oven to heat back up, cook 5 minutes per pound, turn the oven off after, BUT LEAVE THE MEAT IN for two hours, do NOT open the door.

It will be perfectly cooked

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Some Country music star has a turkey recipe like that

Dec 22, 2020, 1:05 PM

neighbor did it and they said it was great. But oven is not available for other things to cook unless LDR and have two ovens.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I am trying this some time.

Dec 22, 2020, 12:22 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nb_PN2MQk9I

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Can’t go wrong with Kent***

Dec 22, 2020, 12:40 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”
Isaac Asimov

Re: Prime Rib/Standing Rib Roast

Dec 22, 2020, 2:26 PM

I let it come up to room temp for 6-8 hours, then put it in a low oven (200) for 6-8 hours, checking the temp pretty religiously every 30 minutes or so. Letting it come up to room temp is crucial if you’re going low and slow. Then when the deepest part is at 110 ish I throw it on a grill that’s as hot as I can get it, or convection roast at 550 for 5-10 minutes to get a crust. Pull it out and let it rest for a long time, especially if it’s like a 20 lb roast, sometimes I’ll rest it for longer than 30 minutes.

I only season it with salt and pepper, and baste the hell out of it before searing it. Thermapen thermometers are excellent.

Ive found that cooking it on high initially leaves a pretty thick ring of well done prime rib with a nice center. Still one of the best meals of the year that way.

SO this "turn the oven off and leave ur meat in"

Dec 22, 2020, 3:24 PM

idea... my wife wants to do the same.

I chastised her saying, how do you know that our oven is insulated as well as the one that the recipe creator used??? I went on to berate and flog her mercilessly.

Now you jive turkeys are spouting the same ideas....

So can one of you fine gentlemen care to be explaining to me how these roasts have a chance in hell of turning out consistantly.

I'm sure that folks like me and FBCOACH with our cheapo ovens... our ovens probably drop back to room temperature after about 30 minutes.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

S??? ????? ???? ??? ??????? ?????? ???? ??? ??????,
S??? ????? ?? ?? ???????? ???? ? ??????? ??? ????? ?????..

Grab yourself an oven thermometer. They're like $5 and you

Dec 22, 2020, 3:33 PM

can monitor the oven temp through the glass without having to open. They're more reliable than what an oven itself will tell you. They help a lot with other baking / roasting also by getting a better sense of the actual temps going on.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Google the method. Gots to do a little multiplying.

Dec 23, 2020, 8:19 AM [ in reply to SO this "turn the oven off and leave ur meat in" ]

There is no explanation for how it works. It's wizardry. But it does work, and works well.

Cliffs:
Salt
Bring to room temp
Pat dry
Salt/pepper
Insert into preheated 500 degree oven
Do maffs
Leave it on 500 for whatever the answer to your maffs
Cut off oven, leave in there for whatever the answer to your maffs
Take it out, let it rest, slice, eat, profit.

YOLO and do it. You won't regret it.

Re: Google the method. Gots to do a little multiplying.

Dec 23, 2020, 8:42 AM

I like those instructions. Well done.

I'm making one right now!!!

Dec 22, 2020, 5:36 PM

550 for about 15 min then cook at 325 till it gets to about 125 degrees (30 min per rib or so). Let stand about 30 min. cut the bone off and slice the meat. It's so easy, hard to screw up.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I'm making one right now!!!

Dec 22, 2020, 6:20 PM

Let me know how it turns out. I’m thinking it will be well done along the edges.
Google “Reverse Sear prime rib.”

Replies: 23
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic