Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Is Main Building seriously the proposed replacement for Tillman Hall?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 49
| visibility 1

Is Main Building seriously the proposed replacement for Tillman Hall?

Jun 13, 2020, 10:27 PM

If so, that’s stupid.

I don’t care if that was the original name, Main Building sounds so unimaginative and generic. That’s like calling it Learning Hall or Academic Hall.

Once you are finished there, you head to Cafeteria to get something to eat, and then go to Library to study. Then you go back to Dorm A to take a nap.

Huge missed opportunity to name it something great. Main Building?!? LMAO.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: Is Main Building seriously the proposed replacement for Tillman Hall?

Jun 13, 2020, 10:29 PM

"Old Main" has a classic sound to it.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

But the official name wasn’t Old Main, it was just called that.

Jun 13, 2020, 10:36 PM

Official name was Main Building.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Jun 14, 2020, 1:44 PM [ in reply to Re: Is Main Building seriously the proposed replacement for Tillman Hall? ]

Old Main was what it was called in 1922 when my father in law graduated.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brownell Building?

Jun 13, 2020, 10:30 PM

but I agree, if they are going to rename give it a name that helps us remember why we renamed it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Brownell Building?

Jun 14, 2020, 7:10 AM

Like Marine wrote, Freedom Hall is a good name.

Re: Brownell Building?

Jun 14, 2020, 11:13 AM

There is already a freedom hall

Do you mean Freeman Hall?***

Jun 14, 2020, 3:43 PM

It's not stupid. It’s rather cool in an historical kind of

Jun 13, 2020, 10:42 PM

way.

I would have preferred Gantt Hall.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Old Main is on ...

Jun 13, 2020, 10:52 PM

Gantt Circle

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yep***

Jun 13, 2020, 10:53 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

but, to get to Gantt Circle, you have to use ...

Jun 13, 2020, 10:57 PM [ in reply to Old Main is on ... ]

Calhoun Drive. If Google Maps is accurate.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Old Main is on ...

Jun 14, 2020, 6:55 AM [ in reply to Old Main is on ... ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Old Main is on ...

Jun 14, 2020, 5:03 PM

Tillman Hall on Gantt Circle has got to have a bit of irony...

Something great like Brownell Hall?

Jun 13, 2020, 10:46 PM

null

Message was edited by: PACIFIC BEACH TIGER®

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 13, 2020, 10:46 PM

To be honest, sir, I would click on your post’s in the past purely based on the quality of content from previous threads.

Sadly, lately you have been full of negativity, and honestly, ignorance. I know this is a life altering time we are all in and if a few of your comforts just so happen to be touched, I swear it is for the best.

You are one of few I have “respect” for even though words are faceless on this board and I hope you will soon pull it together and get back to the good stuff.

God bless! Go Tigers!

What about my recent posts is ignorant?

Jun 14, 2020, 9:05 PM

My recent posts have included:

-The death of George Floyd is inexcusable and disgusting.
-Talking about Floyd's criminal past being irrelevant to the discussion regarding his death at the hands of a bad cop.
-My admission that I can't fully understand what some minorities go through or have gone through.
-My desire to learn more about how I can help be part of the solution to heal racism.
-My statements that black lives absolutely matter, a lot.

I'm guessing the posts that you probably don't like, and consider "ignorant," include:

-My call for us to separate a person's bad actions from their good and positive contributions.
-The fact that both Calhoun and Tillman, though flawed people, were essential to the formation of Clemson and worthy to continue to be honored.
-The ridiculousness of just changing names that have been part of Clemson history from the start, simply because people are offended by it, without any discussion or mature dialogue whatsoever.
-The fact that if black lives matter (and they do), then we must also discuss the 20 million black babies aborted since Roe v. Wade was passed, the fact that 75% of black families don't have a father present, and the fact that many black families live near or below the poverty line. These statements aren't popular right now, because they remove the victim mentality while also shifting the blame from white people and "systemic racism" (which is a myth, BTW - educate yourself).

I did acknowledge, in more than one post, that Clemson did the right thing to change the names. The public pressure is too great not to. But I won't apologize for feeling that the pressure to change these names is unreasonable and unfair, given some of my points above. I also feel that changing names and trying to gloss over history is a dangerous slope to play on. With changes such as these, I expect many more protests and riots will occur until much of the historical reminders we have are eliminated. That's sad.

You seem to make a lot of value judgments about me, based on the above. I feel that I have been very reasonable in the way I've approached the situation. I'm sorry if you feel otherwise. I don't believe that this is as simple as saying that one side of this debate is good and the other side of the debate is bad. I don't think it's nearly as simple. My posts have attempted to discuss some of these nuances, but I have realized that many people aren't to a point of being able to do that. I'm sure the frustration and sadness I have felt this past week or two over these issues in our society have spilled over into my posts. For that, I apologize.

God bless you as well. Go Tigers!

Jun 13, 2020, 10:47 PM

There is nothing great sounding. Everything you do will just get negative remarks and snarky tweets so take the existing name off and return to the original one. No name on campus is worse that LJ anyway. That one is awful

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 14, 2020, 1:15 AM

Actually, Schiletter is the worst by moral/ethical standards. Still not sure why we would have allowed to have a building named after “Shorty”.

That place made everyone squirt like a goose

Jun 14, 2020, 11:04 AM

Maybe it was appropriate

Jun 13, 2020, 10:49 PM

I hear we are knocking it down and doing something very modern and all reflective glass. Should look cool.

Please, no human names, even Harvey Gantt!

Jun 13, 2020, 10:54 PM

Old Main is ok with me.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Please, no human names! how bout Spurrier

Jun 13, 2020, 11:06 PM

He sure isnt human

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What did you have in mind?***

Jun 13, 2020, 11:03 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

No...it is Old Main...a ton of universities have

Jun 13, 2020, 11:17 PM

one of their original buildings named Old Main.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So we're copying other universities now?***

Jun 14, 2020, 9:06 PM

It was the ORIGINAL name of the building...not sure who did

Jun 15, 2020, 12:08 PM

it first but it was common practice at universities. You do know that there were other teams with a Tiger mascot a little before us?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 13, 2020, 11:45 PM

Pretty sure we need to support the new/old name for at least 10 years and maybe more if it doesn't measure up to other ACC buildings... If it is still a mediocre name at that point I believe we say, "but it's about to be a good building name finally. And what better name can we get..."

Not sure about you, but when I was at Clemson we did say, "let's go to the cafeteria." We also called the library, "the library" although we didn't go there as much as we maybe should have.

Jun 14, 2020, 12:21 AM

They didn’t have Hardcum or Shitletter yet?

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Jun 14, 2020, 1:04 AM

We had both. I graduated in 94. Lived in Johnstone F first year so we usually just ate at Harcombe.

I can't believe I'm the first to TU this post

Jun 14, 2020, 5:14 AM [ in reply to Re: Is Main Building seriously the proposed replacement for Tillman Hall? ]

And to the poster who replied, "I used to click on your posts for their quality"...

LMFAO

Re: I can't believe I'm the first to TU this post

Jun 14, 2020, 11:03 AM

Believe it. Have a great Sunday ??

Jun 14, 2020, 1:14 AM

Main Building sounds like a backdrop place in the skyline of a video game where no gameplay happens.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I adopted a new dog today. Named it Dog.***

Jun 14, 2020, 6:13 AM

Re: I adopted a new dog today. Named it Dog.***

Jun 14, 2020, 6:55 AM

So, it could be named simply “Building”. Hey that could work.

Re: I adopted a new dog today. Named it Dog.***

Jun 14, 2020, 3:46 PM

Come on now. Be original, maybe something like Tall Bldg. or Red Brick Bldg.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

we had a cat show up

Jun 14, 2020, 3:25 PM [ in reply to I adopted a new dog today. Named it Dog.*** ]

a while back. the little bugger has popped out two litters of kittens. we just call her mama cat......

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It sounds like something from Alabama auburn

Jun 14, 2020, 8:46 AM

Or one of those SEC schools full of savages.

I know that was the original name but it’s gonna throw people off.

Maybe Watson hall? Great role model for any color person

"Going to the Library" was exactly what we used to say at

Jun 14, 2020, 10:52 AM

Clemson. Don't know that I ever remember hearing the word "Cooper" spoken.

Re: "Going to the Library" was exactly what we used to say at

Jun 14, 2020, 1:07 PM

Maybe we should trademark "THE" Library. oh, wait...

Re: "Going to the Library" was exactly what we used to say at

Jun 15, 2020, 12:33 PM

I still have my The Library Club card.

The library was good for taking naps

Jun 14, 2020, 1:35 PM [ in reply to "Going to the Library" was exactly what we used to say at ]

that was about it.

Right, but the building wasn't named just Library.

Jun 14, 2020, 9:09 PM [ in reply to "Going to the Library" was exactly what we used to say at ]

According to the press release, the proposal is to rename Tillman Hall to Main Building.

Re: Right, but the building wasn't named just Library.

Jun 15, 2020, 12:36 PM

I can't believe we are talking about renaming a building to begin with but renaming one that has already had the name stripped and no new name to assign it. Get used to it I guess. It's just the tip of the iceberg.

I thought I saw "Old Main" as the proposed title. That would

Jun 14, 2020, 10:58 AM

to me give it the proper historical context, as it was once the Main building, and is now one of the few remaining "original" structures on campus. I put "original" in quotes, because it burned, and has been modernized inside several times. Only the external appearance is original. Even the clock is not the original one, it is on display elsewhere on campus. It's almost like the old restorers joke about an axe that was a family heirloom. "It has had the handle replaced a few times, and a new head put on it after World War II, but other than that, it's all ORIGINAL!"

No name chosen will be satisfactory. That’s a fact.

Jun 14, 2020, 11:19 AM

At least the only argument people can make against ‘Old Main’ is that it’s boring.

Frankly , a great many are probably ready for some ‘boring’ about now.

Pretty sure the intention isn't to rename it but rather to

Jun 14, 2020, 11:39 AM

Un name it. For those uneasy about renaming buildings and whitewashing history, this will root the change in a historical context and undo something that was done intentionally as an in-your-face during the civil rights movement.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mississippi Tiger --------- Clemson University - 8 Time National Football Champions - 1900, 1906, 1948, 1950, 1981, 1983, 2016, 2018

Jun 14, 2020, 11:41 AM

The reason: expediency--the sooner this is resolved, the better.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

I dont think

Jun 14, 2020, 3:23 PM

we should name it after a person. just my opinion.

Jun 14, 2020, 3:38 PM

There's another to be named "2nd Most Important Bldg." I suppose that will create a theme.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 49
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic