Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Possibly the worst ACC basketball ever
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 1

Possibly the worst ACC basketball ever

Mar 4, 2021, 9:29 PM

with no team in the top 10 and only 3 teams in the top 25. I don't remember a time when the conference has been this weak. Not only are the traditional blue bloods out of the top 25 but so are many of the second tier teams from the ACC.
Many people want to call it parity but the truth is that the level of play is down in general and there are no teams that will challenge for the Sweet 16 this year from the ACC.
What has happened to the blue bloods? Probably the one thing that has destroyed this league is one and done players. Teams never build chemistry nor develop from players from year to year. If current trends continue in the ACC look for the SEC and Big 10 to take over as the prominent leagues in college basketball.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You truly believe that there will be NO ACC TEAMS in the Sweet 16 this year?

Mar 4, 2021, 10:05 PM

I’ll take that bet.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: You truly believe that there will be NO ACC TEAMS in the Sweet 16 this year?

Mar 5, 2021, 7:52 AM

There was no bet involved in my statement. But it seems anytime someone has an opinion other than yours you try to intimidate that person to make your view the only one that matters.
I'm willing to come back on here and admit I was wrong if an ACC team makes the sweet 16 but only if you will do the same if there is not an ACC team in the sweet 16. And it must be an admission that either you or I are WRONG.
I am taking the bigger gamble because one team could luck into the sweet 16 with two wins but the play in the ACC does not indicate that will happen.
Remember all of these games are on the road.

Re: Possibly the worst ACC basketball ever

Mar 4, 2021, 10:18 PM

It does seem very strange having Duke . . and even UNC so average this year. I think the system ,meaning how the players can leave early, has effected things. It's not so important where you play your college ball. In a year or so you'll be leaving anyway. It's just to hold a place for a short time. It has ruined BB.

I love it. UNCheat should have been given the death penalty.***

Mar 5, 2021, 7:59 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

It isn't just ACC, it's the finger the FBI put...

Mar 4, 2021, 10:43 PM

on the pay to play shoe teams. Look at the Texas, Arizona, Kansas, Kentucky, etc, etc. Then the Duke, UNC, Louisville and whoever else.

It seems pretty daggum obvious that once the top talent that all ended up at 8-12 schools annually came to a quick halt, it appears they are lucky to be top 25 teams.

Look at Arizona, Kentucky, Louisville, Duke and UNC, all local teams that have been perennial top #1 seeds in the NCAa, never a question of being a top 15 team and what happened? The mighty have fallen when they don't get the onslaught of 1-n-done players.

The almighty parity seems to have evened out at an alarming rate. It would lead me to believe that basketball is less about coaching and more about premier talent at the college level. Although, you can extrapolate and show where NBA basically needs the same, if they have 2-3 of the top 10 players on the team then they likely become huge playoff contenders.

Compare to football where 1-2 players don't make the team or season. While a premier QB will get you wins, they will not win the season. Dabo won his first Natty with a team of recruiting average around 16 while Bama, Texas, UGA, LSU, OSU, FSU, couple others consistently recruited much higher level, therefore I tend to believe coaching is much better factor in final product.

But there are teams where it seems the coaching always creates a better product vs using the #1 recruits like: UVA, Gonzaga, Wichita, VCU, and few others.

Point being, the FBI fixed a huge problem and look at how apparent it has become in such a short period of time. Goodbye Dookies, Kentucky's, Louisville, Kansas, etc to their glory days

Re: It isn't just ACC, it's the finger the FBI put...

Mar 5, 2021, 8:09 AM

I'm not sure it was the FBI as much as COVID. The blue bloods rely on one and done players who in a normal year have very little time to prepare for a season. This year was reduced and an extra mental roller-coaster of restrictions and canceled games. Team chemistry is hard enough to maintain for a veteran team. I expect to see a few runs this year from lower seeds who finally pull things together for the tournament. Also non-conference play was a mess this season. Expect the ACC do win its share in the tournament.

null

The horror. How can a Clemson fan even sleep at night?***

Mar 5, 2021, 7:58 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Mar 5, 2021, 8:22 AM

How would the Big 10 and SEC not also be affected by one-and-done just the same? Are the ACC coaches too stupid to see how one-and-done impacts their teams but B1G and SEC are some sort of geniuses? Do all B1G and SEC players stay for 4 years? What is the logic behind this statement?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 5, 2021, 8:49 AM

OMGerd - what are we going to do? Duke and UNC aren't world beaters, what am I going to do?

You think the ACC is weak? Not really one of our best years but the top 8/10 teams are extremely dangerous - aka a team you don't want to play in the first/second round of an tourney.

Just because there is not a dominant team by the name of Duke or UNC does not mean the conference is weak. In 98, the conference was weaker but because Duke/UNC were #1 & #3 respectively we did not bat an eye but the rest of the teams were BAD. In 2007, UNC was the only ream with a pulse and fake classes. Maryland was a pity case, and Duke was .500 in conference. The ACC has had worse years but you also have to look at the ranking that the "rankers" have the B10 18-7 or a 12-7 ranked in the top 10.. or worse a 16-10 team at 25. Toss out those rankings especially this year.

I have remember other years the B10 was "strong" and did not get a single team in the final four. The old BE knocked them down, stole their lunch money and then knocked up their mom and sister.

Next, the B10 notched only one win against the top 6 ACC teams in the B10 challenge (UofL roadloss to Wisc).

We took down the top team in the SEC. Us, Bamy lost to the 6th seed ACC team.

FSU and UVA are the new ‘bluebloods’....

Mar 5, 2021, 9:10 AM

And they both are definitely Sweet 16 material...at least on paper.
GT might be one of the hotter teams around at the moment. They are having to overcome some really bad early season losses that obviously were due to them not practicing due to Covid. But they have likely put themselves in the Dance by owning February.

There are several ‘good’ teams that tend to beat up on each other (cue the ‘SEZ football’ posts). Pretty sure the ACC tournament will be a pretty wide open affair this year

Not sure I would base a ton on the ‘top 25’...with teams taking long Covid breaks, etc.

And I, for one, don’t care about Duke or UNC having success. Plenty of other programs in ACC to fill that gap. Pretty sure ESPN would catch on eventually if they fade.

Replies: 10
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic