Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Possibly buying kid #3 a bike today, waiting to call the
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 40
| visibility 900

Possibly buying kid #3 a bike today, waiting to call the

Dec 29, 2020, 9:45 AM

Trek of South Charlotte.

They open at 11. Wife told kid he might get a new bike today (worn his out - brakes falling apart and gear system is almost trash) and he asked me at 9:30, 9:40, and not 9:45 when I can call about the bike. Man, I hope they really have it in cause the only one available in Rock Hill is the girl's trim. We waited from August until Thanksgiving to get the middle kids' bike delivered.

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A real dad would

Dec 29, 2020, 9:49 AM

make his kid work for his own bike. Thats why I never buy anything for my daughter. She isn't willing to put in the work.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsonrulez08.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Please forgive me, @IneligibleUser

If you don't buy it for her,

Dec 29, 2020, 11:19 AM

somebody else will.

And she will call him daddy.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

S??? ????? ???? ??? ??????? ?????? ???? ??? ??????,
S??? ????? ?? ?? ???????? ???? ? ??????? ??? ????? ?????..

Shes 6 months old

Dec 29, 2020, 11:33 AM

And I already worry about this every day.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsonrulez08.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Possibly buying kid #3 a bike today, waiting to call the

Dec 29, 2020, 9:49 AM

https://www.trekofclt.com/product-list/bikes-1000/childrens-1023/

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

Yeah, online it says they have the 20" 7-speed

Dec 29, 2020, 9:52 AM

but I am not venturing up there with an a kid without making 100% sure it is in stock, in the color he wants. The black with purple and pink is available in Rock Hill...but that is the girl's version.

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Kind of out of line for you to be

Dec 29, 2020, 9:54 AM

pushing gender stereotypes on your kid. Just IMHO

Check yourself. He wants the blue one, not me. This isn't

Dec 29, 2020, 9:58 AM

for me to ride so he can pick the color.

Can the little window licker even change gears?

Dec 29, 2020, 11:35 AM

I'm thinking he's gonna be throwing chains like orangecrush61 shidposts. All. Day.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He cannot on his bike because old and worn out, he can

Dec 29, 2020, 11:37 AM

on his brother's and his sister's because they are better bikes. The gear systems are weird now though, just has a rotary dial on the right handlebar.

Tell him to remember 1 rule:

Dec 29, 2020, 11:47 AM

Peddle backwards when changing gears.

First Flight Bikes opens @ 10 but they are in Statesville.

Dec 29, 2020, 9:51 AM

Trek dealer and good folks. Wes will take good care of you if you decide to make the...trek.

Get a specialized....

Dec 29, 2020, 9:59 AM

Treks are too heavy for kids bikes

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Get a specialized....

Dec 29, 2020, 10:11 AM

The Wahoo 26 is super light. That is what the middle kid

Dec 29, 2020, 10:16 AM [ in reply to Get a specialized.... ]

has. The Specialized looks awesome, but we are talking about a 20" bike here. We just need the brakes to not malfunction and the gear derailleur to not get stuck in the spokes right now.

Imma hit up the USNWC and get a used Specialized sometime though, if I can figure out when to do that.

yore ghana do what now?

Dec 29, 2020, 3:00 PM

USNWC sells used bikes?

never been, so it sounds like they may rent them, then eventually sell them?

I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express back in October, so I'm probably right about that.

I believe that is the case. There were a couple used ones

Dec 30, 2020, 9:50 AM

a month or so ago when we went but they were kids and too big for the little guy. Decent price too, IIRC.

I've got to investigate ALOT more into the inner workings of that, I do know they have a yardsale once a year because Mountain Khakis moved their warehouse sale out there for it. I imagine it is a shitshow though.

If you can't get your hands on a new bike, maybe consider

Dec 29, 2020, 10:19 AM

fixing the old one. Spend less money, get some sweet higher end parts, kid learns to work on his bike... not a terrible Plan B.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He is 5. The last bike was bought used for $35. Not worth

Dec 29, 2020, 10:22 AM

replacing the brake system and gear system on that bike, IMO. Also, I have no idea how to do those things, so it seems like it would be a tough undertaking.

I ended up buying a worn out Trek at a cop auction for my

Dec 29, 2020, 10:24 AM

college kid. Paid $180 for a rebuild. Total out of pocket $250. She has a good bike now that still looks decent, but not something that would encourage theft.

Would have bought a new bike if any actually existed at that time.

Serial question, what's the advantage of buying an expensive

Dec 29, 2020, 11:14 AM

bike for a kid who will outgrow it in a couple of years?

Notice a huge difference in comfort and what not in adult bikes between big box and bike store bicycles but my kids could care less about that

Your kids have bikes?

Dec 29, 2020, 11:16 AM

I just figured they Uber'd everywhere.

We bought cheap ones at first and we ride ALOT so

Dec 29, 2020, 11:34 AM [ in reply to Serial question, what's the advantage of buying an expensive ]

they all fell apart. Every single one of them. And, up until this point, the larger bikes were to get grown into by the younger kids. The middle kid has the biggest and either his sister or brother will use it eventually.

They all also have a residual resale value. Buy a Trek for $300-400, use it for a couple years, let littler kid use it OR resell it for $100-150. Also, no issues at all so far with anything falling apart.

Son had an Ozone brand mountain bike and it lasted 6 months before it was just a bag of crap. They ride 20-30 miles a week sometimes though.

It's wise thinking like that that led you to get the

Dec 29, 2020, 12:53 PM [ in reply to Serial question, what's the advantage of buying an expensive ]

Discovery Sport instead of the Range Rover.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

KMS has never had a Disco Sport

Dec 29, 2020, 2:29 PM

Soooo your analogy doesn't work here.

SO WHY YOU GONNA BUY MARCELLUS WALLACE'S KIDS A WALMART BIKE

Dec 29, 2020, 4:41 PM

LIKE HE A DISCO SPORT?

Why by my kid a range rover when he's going to outgrow it

Dec 30, 2020, 9:52 AM

in a year?

Local bike shop wanted $400 for a trek for a 5 year old last christmas. Went to academy and spent a buck fitty and he literally doesn't know the difference... he just wanted a blue bike.

Mama gets the range rover, kids can survive with a nice honda.

$270, not $400

Dec 30, 2020, 10:06 AM

unless you get the 7-speed then it is $330. If they are just riding around mcmansion neighborhood, I am sure that works fine. We don't have that amenity in my area so we have to hit trails and those buck fitty academy bikes don't last. I have one in the garage now missing a tube and a pedal (which I stole to fix another bike that has since been replaced).

I just found a used Trek for my kid on FB marketplace

Dec 30, 2020, 10:15 AM

and made plans to check in with the same guy for the 20" for when his kid outgrows it.

so basically, I let someone else by the new and shiny and I settled for used. I'm okay with it since he's not that big into riding yet.

"It's Baltimore, Gentlemen; the Gods will not save you."

I thought you were good with numbers?

Dec 31, 2020, 9:01 AM [ in reply to Why by my kid a range rover when he's going to outgrow it ]

When your kid outgrows the $300 Trek or Specialized bike in a couple years, It's worth $200+ used.

When they outgrow the $150 Academy Turbo Eliminator XT Clodbuster, you might get lucky and find a new employee at Play it Again sports who will give you $15.

Not these days - used bikes sell.

Dec 31, 2020, 9:24 AM

I sold two 40 year old Schwinns for $75 a piece. Tires rotted. Not been riden in 10 years.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

true, but it's a weird moment that'll pass.***

Dec 31, 2020, 9:25 AM

You're forgetting I live in FL where there isn't much rough

Dec 31, 2020, 12:03 PM [ in reply to I thought you were good with numbers? ]

terrain to cover.

Bicycle rides round here are mostly paved sidewalk rides, maybe a little sand on the path to the beach. Beach cruisers are more the speed.

Re: Possibly buying kid #3 a bike today, waiting to call the

Dec 29, 2020, 11:19 AM

It's past 11. Did they have it?

Yes, two in blue and one in black. He has asked about 15

Dec 29, 2020, 11:35 AM

times when we are going to get it.

When are you going to get it?

Dec 29, 2020, 11:37 AM

Greenr

When are you going to get it?***

Dec 29, 2020, 12:57 PM [ in reply to Yes, two in blue and one in black. He has asked about 15 ]

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-fordprefect.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Have you got a likker drank in the Yeti and headed to get

Dec 29, 2020, 1:57 PM [ in reply to Yes, two in blue and one in black. He has asked about 15 ]

the bike yet? We need to know!

Greenr

A BIKE FOR A 5 YEAR OLD?

Dec 29, 2020, 11:24 AM

And the pussification of America continues. What better way to raise a lazy POS than to teach him to use mechanics to move about.

Can he run 5 miles at an 8 min pace without stopping? If not, he hasn't earned a bike yet. May as well just buy him an Iphone 12 and a new couch.

I had a good answer, and then you said girl's trim, and

Dec 29, 2020, 11:26 AM

now I'm off to pronhub.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I grabbed on last week at Uptown Cycle for friend in Gvl

Dec 29, 2020, 4:02 PM

(long story, but a Grinch stole all there gifts and this was alast minute replacement). Anyway, they seemed to have a ton of inventory.

"It's Baltimore, Gentlemen; the Gods will not save you."

Replies: 40
| visibility 900
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic