Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Please help me save money on Direct TV! Can I keep the basic
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 37
| visibility 1

Please help me save money on Direct TV! Can I keep the basic

Mar 28, 2017, 10:03 PM

and sign up for Sling or something similar, to save some money? I want to keep my total bill to around $70 per month or less, for everything. Help me out, techies!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think Sling with most channels costs about $30 a month

Mar 28, 2017, 10:10 PM

You could probably get it cheaper with less channels. It will let you use most streaming apps like ESPN 3 too. Problem I had with it is that you need good internet service. If your interenet service is slow it won't really work. I eventually went back to cable.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I have DSL, usually hits about 8 mgs download. Is that enoug***

Mar 28, 2017, 10:19 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A few questions.

Mar 28, 2017, 11:09 PM [ in reply to I think Sling with most channels costs about $30 a month ]

How is the picture quality?

How many channels is that? Is that HBO and ESPN?

Is there and lag or anything odd about the reception?

I am not a tech person at all, so I am pretty clueless on SlingTV.

Thanks for any isnight offered

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: A few questions.

Mar 28, 2017, 11:31 PM

HD streaming with no issues here, you also get the ACC network and ESPN with the basic package that costs 19.95, HBO is another 10.95 but worth is to see BM on friday nights

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: A few questions.

Mar 28, 2017, 11:33 PM

also, most channels let you pause and watch every program that aired that day any time you want.

That's awesome. I need to give it a trial. Thanks*****

Mar 28, 2017, 11:35 PM

Re: That's awesome. I need to give it a trial. Thanks*****

Mar 28, 2017, 11:39 PM

I do think you get a couple of weeks for free with a CC#. worth a try to check to see if your internet bandwidth is up to it. I do not watch a lot of TV, but I like that there is no hardware rental and you can log into your account and get a daily pro-rated rate when adding and removing channels. I did this a lot with HBO.

Easy Solution

Mar 29, 2017, 12:48 PM [ in reply to A few questions. ]

Amazon Firestick with Kodi - no monthly bill and all the shows and movies you can want

Re: Please help me save money on Direct TV! Can I keep the basic

Mar 28, 2017, 11:02 PM

Suggest you check out the Playstation Vue options too. They have different station options.

Why don't you test Sling? They have a free trial. That way you will know if your internet is fast enough.

I started out with sling. I had to upgrade my Internet to xfinity blast. I have switched over to the $35 Vue package now. So between internet...which I have to have for work....and vue.....my cost is around $110

Mar 28, 2017, 11:17 PM

I second PS Vue. I have the same package.

Mar 29, 2017, 10:12 AM [ in reply to Re: Please help me save money on Direct TV! Can I keep the basic ]

What device are you using to watch the Vue service on? I have a Roku 4, and their app (when I tried it in August) was hot garbage. Extremely klunky, not even close to SlingTV in terms of responsiveness of the UI, and the video streams themselves kept pausing to rebuffed--something that SlingTV doesn't do.

I also tried on my iPad (thinking that I could aircast or something), but it was so laggy it was unusable. Like just trying to scroll around the guide forward in time was nonfunctional.

A real bummer since PS Vue's pricing is way better than SlingTV for getting ESPN, NFL network, SEC Network--which for SlingTV would require Orange+Blue+Sports extra pack.

Maybe they've improved their apps since last fall, or maybe they don't care at all about the platforms that are important to me (Roku, iPad). They clearly did not spend any time reviewing how usable they are on those platforms. Maybe they want you to shell out for a PlayStation hardware, and they only make sure it's a good experience on the PS4?

I do like that we are finally starting to see some competition for these streaming services. Love the free trial.

Mar 29, 2017, 7:05 PM

I use a Roku 4 too. It is clunky...but I liked the fact that I could get the fox sport stations.

I assume they will fix it at some point to be more like the amazon interface.

But in the end I got used to it....I don't watch much tv....mostly just sports and movies....and some hbo.

Oh yeah.....

Mar 28, 2017, 11:24 PM

Make your own antenna and see if you can eliminate the need for basic cable. I get all main networks with this antenna.....but I did not bother to build the reflector. It was easy....

http://www.diytvantennas.com/sbgh.php

Mar 28, 2017, 11:28 PM

I am a sling subscriber for the last 15 months, highly recommended and you can change your channel lineup at any time from month to month and they will pro-rate it.

Mar 29, 2017, 10:16 AM

I'm also a SlingTV subscriber for the last 13 months.

Has been a great experience and would highly recommend.

Mar 29, 2017, 8:43 AM

Amazon Firestik, Playstation Vue...

Mar 29, 2017, 10:00 AM

I recommend getting the Fire TV over the Fire TV Stick version...

The Fire TV is a much faster device the UI on the stick drove me crazy with its laginess.

March 4th 2016- "Lee won't be here 4 years from today" - Viztiz

Mar 29, 2017, 11:42 AM

What is the best way to cut the cable cord, but still be able to watch TV in 3 different rooms?

Tiger Band 70-74

Mar 29, 2017, 11:47 AM

When my wife and I had our house built I had it wired up where all TVs go to a central box and from that box my feed from the antenna in the attic comes down.

That sends OTA signal to all my TVs.

Other than that I have either an Amazon Fire TV or and Amazon Fire TV stick on each TV. I also have a couple Google Chromecast devices mixed in as well.

Mar 29, 2017, 12:54 PM

That's what I'm thinking of doing. An Amazon Fire TV box for each tv. Thanks.

Tiger Band 70-74

A friend/family and $5 per month

Mar 29, 2017, 8:52 AM

If you know someone who would let you install Slingbox to their set up ( Direct or other), you can tap into it for free. Worst case you pay them for an extra box. You do need good internet on both ends, but most have that anyway. Then you can use Apple TV, or similar, to project to your big screen. All this will cost around $350 to set up, but will pay for itself in < 3-4 months.
I did this for 3+ years from outside the US and it worked flawlessly.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 29, 2017, 9:55 AM

Get a firestick and install kodi. Every movie, every tv show, all sporting events... for free. Well the cost of firestick. Use digital antenna for your locals.

I pay zero dollars for cable and have access to every movie and every tv show on any network. Including sports.

Mar 29, 2017, 10:54 AM

I've got FireTV but I couldn't find kodi in the app listing. Did a search and found nothing.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

YouTube videos***

Mar 29, 2017, 11:05 AM

Mar 29, 2017, 11:06 AM [ in reply to Re: Please help me save money on Direct TV! Can I keep the basic ]

Kodi has to be installed using "tricks"

https://www.howtogeek.com/293330/how-to-install-kodi-on-your-amazon-fire-tv-or-fire-tv-stick/

Thanks! Will give it a try.***

Mar 29, 2017, 11:35 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Got it installed, thanks for the tip, 07.

Mar 29, 2017, 2:15 PM

Looks like the sports pay sites still require a subscription. Saw the games listed on mlb.com but couldn't watch any.

Re: Got it installed, thanks for the tip, 07.

Mar 29, 2017, 2:53 PM

Not a problem... Good luck

Mar 29, 2017, 7:23 PM [ in reply to Re: Please help me save money on Direct TV! Can I keep the basic ]

On the Amazon fire stick/FireTV box, You have to first install the ES file downloader from the Amazon App Store (free). Then from the ES file downloader download KODI. You have to get the pointer to hover over the ARM file icon on the right. All Movies, TV shows, NFL games, PPVs absolutely free.

Mar 29, 2017, 9:58 AM

I recommend Playstation Vue over SlingTV.

Also Youtube is coming out with their own version of those services as well...

https://tv.youtube.com/welcome/

Another option if you have a relative with a cable sub that has no interest in cutting the cord you can get their log in information and have access to pretty much all sports stuff through apps. I do that combined with a Antenna in my attic for local broadcasts and have not missed Cable TV at all.

I cut the cord about 2 years ago.

Mar 29, 2017, 11:11 AM

Drop cable and forget sling. Get an amazon firetv and get kodi....then subscribe to Sportsaccess for 40$ for 3 months

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

Here is an Idea.

Mar 29, 2017, 12:52 PM

Just go to neighbors house and tie into their line! Works good til you get caught! Then go to neighbor on other side, especially if they aren't home much and the power lines run across yar d, no one even pays attention! Just an idea.. I have witnessed this done a few times, but would never have the balls to try it.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 29, 2017, 3:02 PM

If you are gonna keep the basic direct package I'd just cancel it and buy a digital antenna and get free tv. And get sling for $20 a month plus whatever internet costs you and that's all you'll have in it. We had sling but I canceled it after football season ends and we just have Netflix, plus an antenna.

Bottom line is

Mar 29, 2017, 7:12 PM

Your current internet service is too slow for all of the suggestions.

And the suggestions are really good and varied.

Depending on the market, you should get cable (the most reliable) or fiber optic. Then you would be able to stream most anything as long as your down load speed is 60 MBPS or higher.

Spectrum (no contracts) has 100, 200 and 300 download speeds and there are some companies out there talking about a gig.

Uverse is fast but less reliable and has a contract. Same with Fios.

My two cents. And I work in the industry.

Mar 29, 2017, 7:34 PM

I have Fire TV and Kodi which gives me all tv shows and movies I could ever watch. For live TV check out https://www.setvnow.com/ This has all live channels as if you had cable including HBO Cinemax Showtime etc.

Mar 31, 2017, 7:28 PM

Thanks for posting this. I've been weighing options to replace Fios TV and have yet to find a suitable replacement.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes the road to the truth is so elusive it's confusing and reality becomes illusion.

Observation About Sling TV

Mar 31, 2017, 7:36 PM

Just an FYI, I used the 7-day free trial offer to check out Sling TV, and immediately noticed inferior audio and video quality compared to Fios TV. For my taste, Sling TV won't cut it, even for the lower monthly fee. I am also a former Directv subscriber, and it is also far superior to Sling.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes the road to the truth is so elusive it's confusing and reality becomes illusion.

Replies: 37
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic