Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Perseverance
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 5
| visibility 1,507

Perseverance

Feb 21, 2021, 1:37 PM

The more I read, see or hear about Perseverance, the more amazed I am. It's amazing to think about all of the brain power required to accomplish the final result, from inception until the final shutdown of the project. To send a payload 300,000,000 miles and deposit it in a reserved parking lot on Mars boggles my mind when I see people drive less than one mile to a grocery store and it takes up two parking spots to park their car. The distance from Earth to Mars varies quite a bit as we circle to sun. Getting to Mars is not a straight shot but a long detour like a dog chasing a cat. hen Perseverance reached Mars, there was about a eleven minute delay re speed of light. Light from the sun to Earth is about 8.5 minutes.

I saw a program on TV the other day showing the assembly of the Mars rover and Perseverance in a clean room. The parts did not come from an assembly line but were made one part at a time. Some parts were so elaborate it probably took a lot of time to make it. Assembling all of these parts in a limited space was a masterful test in itself.

Back in my younger days, Buck Rogers had visions of space travel but the rest of us thought he was just dreaming.

Message was edited by: Joe21®

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Perseverance

Feb 21, 2021, 2:05 PM

one of my friends from CU was terry setchfield(me) from orangeburg.now lives in tx.not sure of details,but he had a hand either in designing and or construction of the original lunar landing module.i've always been fascinated by space travel,but was never good enough in math or physics to pursue that field.love to listen to the guys who are explain the mysteries of the universe.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Former NASA enginerd here...

Feb 21, 2021, 4:54 PM

Below is a link for Perseverance photos/information. Note that NASA will be posting MANY more photos SOON. They are working on sharing a high-resolution VIDEO of the Entry, Descent, and Landing (EDL) captured from on-board video cameras. Look on the left hand side of the linked page to see new press releases. The new stuff will more than likely show up on this linked page before news outlets race to show new photos/videos.

Currently, there are 4 photos that NASA posted within a few hours of touchdown. 1) Photo from the sky crane looking down towards the rover just before rover touchdown. Note that you can see the dust stirred up by the thrust of the sky crane rocket engines. 2) First full color higher resolution photo taken by the rover after touchdown. 3) Photo showing one of the 6 wheels of the rover. 4) Photo taken by the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter (MRO) HiRISE camera (travelling at 6750mph) showing the Perseverance EDL configuration during parachute phase. Read the write-ups for the 4 photos. The write-up below photo 4 describes what MRO had to do to capture that photo. For extra credit, read up on how MRO circularized it's initial elliptical Mars orbit using aerobraking.

Even though I retired from NASA over 4.5 years ago after working for NASA for 29 years, I remain amazed by NASA. I did a good bit of work on MRO about 15 years ago on creating the purposefully simplified geometry supporting more rapid aerodynamic analysis iterations.

https://www.nasa.gov/press-release/nasa-s-perseverance-rover-sends-sneak-peek-of-mars-landing

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No matter who you vote for, BUY AMERICAN...it's a vote for American jobs.

Re: Former NASA enginerd here...

Feb 21, 2021, 5:10 PM

I was talking to my wife about this and how amazing this Mars mission is to me. She said she would be more impressed if I could learn to land my urine completely in the commode rather than on the lid. It is a stereotype and I realize I am being completely sexist, but it seems NASA and space travel as a whole to most women rates the same level of appreciation as The Three Stooges.

She nuked my bubble. This mission is very impressive to me and I can't wait to see more pictures and see what new knowledge we gain. Cool stuff! Meanwhile the lid will be pulling 100 G's tonight. Hate that for you honey.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Perseverance

Feb 21, 2021, 5:05 PM

computers do the driving on space missions and before long all vehicles on earth will do the same. Of course all the robots will do all the work and no one will have to go any where. Work from home controlling the robots.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It is amazing Mr Joe...watched that same TV show.

Feb 21, 2021, 8:39 PM

Just imagine being those folks that worked for years on this thing and waiting to see if it actually makes it intact. Great stuff!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was 6 my Mother let me have a kitten. It died. Don't send prayers, a TU is better." - tugalooriver circa 2022

Replies: 5
| visibility 1,507
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic