Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Is anyone here concerned about fans showing up
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 31
| visibility 1

Is anyone here concerned about fans showing up

May 13, 2020, 2:53 PM

to games, even if social distancing requirements are eliminated?

I believe there will be a substantial subset of fans who simply don't feel that it's worth it to attend for the foreseeable future. This could be for a variety of reasons, including exposure to germs as well as cost of attendance.

It is easy to assume that we will have a packed Death Valley as long as fans are allowed, but I think that's naive, even for a fan base as great as ours.

Thoughts?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Speaking entirely for myself...

May 13, 2020, 2:57 PM

I think that if social distancing requirements are eliminated, while there will be some fans who simply won't feel comfortable attending games, but for everyone of them, I also think there will many others who will gladly take their place.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: Speaking entirely for myself...

May 13, 2020, 2:59 PM

Yes. I believe it’s what they used to call freedom which seems a quaint notion right now.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hopefully they will give up their season tickets and help

May 13, 2020, 3:26 PM [ in reply to Speaking entirely for myself... ]

others move up to better seats.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Re: Is anyone here concerned about fans showing up

May 13, 2020, 3:00 PM

Not concerned at all. If the place was 25% full and the games were played I would be happy. Just want them televised.

I get what you're saying, but

May 13, 2020, 3:18 PM

a 25% full Death Valley is not good for our athletic department revenue or the health of businesses in Clemson.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: I get what you're saying, but

May 13, 2020, 3:20 PM

True, but they will survive a year or two of that if needed.

I'm not sure our athletic department

May 13, 2020, 3:24 PM

or most any athletic department for that matter, can handle a notable decrease in attendance this year without significant harm.

Re: I'm not sure our athletic department

May 13, 2020, 3:27 PM

Maybe we will have to scrap some other sports for a few years.

Re: I'm not sure our athletic department

May 13, 2020, 6:59 PM [ in reply to I'm not sure our athletic department ]

They will just scrap tennis, track, basketball. You know, sports not nearly as important as footbawwwwwl.

Good luck with Title IX compliance.***

May 13, 2020, 10:16 PM

Won't affect my attendance

May 13, 2020, 3:01 PM

There will likely be some who won't feel comfortable going, but I am sure there will be plenty of others willing to take those tickets off their hands. It seems I read somewhere that season ticket sales set another record this year. I am guessing we may see a slight drop in attendance, but almost immeasurable.

Now programs like SCAR, coming off of bad years and with low expectations, can expect to see more profound declines.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I wonder how many people getting season tickets

May 13, 2020, 3:20 PM

intend to use them this year?

I bet some people purchased them again this year simply not to lose their seats/priority for future seasons.

Guessing that secondary market ticket prices may drop

May 13, 2020, 3:26 PM

but I still think DV will be filled to 95% of capacity or more. Will be interesting to watch ticket prices when (if) the season starts. We always have that face value/all in cost debate; I suspect that this year will be more of a buyer's market. A full stadium benefits the team, the fan experience, the University, the city, and the state. I just hope that those who have tickets they don't plan to use will not stubbornly let those seats go unfilled, but will sell them at the price the market will bear.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 13, 2020, 3:12 PM

Quit watching CNN

I don't watch CNN.

May 13, 2020, 3:21 PM

Thanks for your concern.

So you don't think Clemson will see any drop off in attendance this season?

On the other end of the spectrum

May 13, 2020, 3:16 PM

I feel like if they bar fans in some way or limit them, people will still come to Death Valley and crowd around at tailgates and entrances and stuff, leading to issues

Interesting.

May 13, 2020, 3:22 PM

I have not thought about it from that angle.

Assuming there are no restrictions in place, do you think it will be business as usual with no decrease in attendance?

Re: On the other end of the spectrum

May 13, 2020, 3:26 PM [ in reply to On the other end of the spectrum ]

Can you imagine if they had a per car limit, no RV’s etc?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The armed guards in armored vehicles patrolling the

May 13, 2020, 3:29 PM

tailgating areas to enforce compliance will be interesting to watch. We can rename the lots things like Tiananmen Square, Hong Kong, Tibet, ... so it won’t seem so out of place.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

I've decided I ain't going back to church any time soon.

May 13, 2020, 3:29 PM

Ours reopens May 31st. BUT the restrictions are such that I don't care to attend. Masks for everyone, doors open for airflow, short services, weird communion, etc. What's the point?

This virus has me gettin' my heathen on.

No way in HAIL I'd go to a packed DV any time soon.

Now if it all dies out by mid-July, then sure. But that seems very unlikely.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The question I have is, why do the churches or their members

May 13, 2020, 6:54 PM

allow the state to control whether or not they have services, how they are done, etc.

I'd also like to know why so many law enforcement officers disobey their oath to uphold, protect, and defend the Constitution against all enemies, foreign and domestic. When I first freely took, or made that oath, there was no expiration date. Did I miss something?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 13, 2020, 3:37 PM

Really does no good to speculate at this point because we do not know what situation will look like in the fall. If we have a 2nd wave of the virus then the attendance will be much difference than if the virus essentially goes away In the heat of a SC summer. Any view given now is based on the current environment which will likely be much different in the fall

May 13, 2020, 3:43 PM

As for the AD withstanding a revenue hit...

Every athlete team will likely take a hit be it college or pro. The inflation for being a fan over the last few years was never sustainable. The salaries of pro athletes and college coaches are way out of whack as are ticket prices and everything else associated with attending a game such as concessions. Note cord cutting is hurting TV revenue and ticket prices is hurting Attendance. Covid19 is just the next hammer to drop in this deescalation. Yes changes will be required but they had to happen anyway.

People will be so desperate to get back into fun they will

May 13, 2020, 3:42 PM

risk their lives to do it.

Hell, we already do. Humans always have.

Covid19 is so far less dangerous than what humans beings have faced for 95% of our existence. Being born used to kill 1000 times more people.

Perspective.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No. People are starving for something to do and the ones

May 13, 2020, 4:56 PM

who may not feel safe for a variety of reasons will be replaced. It's just too popular right now.

May 13, 2020, 4:59 PM

I don't know they sure are lining up to get in the bars.

https://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/news/local/pickens-county/2020/05/13/concerns-shared-social-distancing-downtown-clemson-bars/3107464001/

May 13, 2020, 5:32 PM

I would have to be one to stay away from ANY unknown public gathering until a vaccine is found. I check most of the prime time boxes:

Old, Diabetic, Heart disease, and borderline COPD. Throw in overweight on top of it, and I look like Filet Mignon to the coronavirus. :(

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think they'll have been bored out of their minds so long

May 13, 2020, 6:26 PM

it will be packed.

Not in the least at Death Valley anyway

May 13, 2020, 7:33 PM

Some of these other schools maybe.

You’d be right for Louisville, State, Cuse, etc. or

May 13, 2020, 7:41 PM

all conference games but Coots will be in late November so I’d think that would be close to a sellout.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 13, 2020, 10:38 PM

Dude...ain’t no fans showing up...there will be little to no season and if so there will be no fans!!! Do you actually think Clemson University or any University is going to take on that liability in the fall???

Will never happen...they may get away with having games because there’s some control in that before and after..:but no way there will be fans!!!

Replies: 31
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic