Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
When The ACC goes to 16 teams who would you like to
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 46
| visibility 1

When The ACC goes to 16 teams who would you like to

Dec 28, 2013, 7:00 PM

join? Once the playoffs start and conference move to a nine games schedule and it becomes apparent that conferences championship is the route to the playoffs I think Notre Dame comes on board. I also would love for The ACC to move to a geographic North South alignment.........
I would like to see another northern team so the South looks like this........

UConn has a great overall athletic department but not a fan.......
Cinn has good football and basketball and is investing but not a fan.....
UWV The best fit but can they get out of the Big12? Maybe the Big12 wouldn't fight it due to travel and just not being a good fit......
UCF Like I said really don't want another southern team I don't want to split NC......

I know some will say the South is loaded in football but that is what makes sense and you shouldn't try to do it based on strength things always change over time....

I think The ACC should also put pressure on Miami to build a on campus stadium..... They will never reach their full potential until they do this.... They will also continue to lose coaches who want to coach at a place with a strong fan base..... Miami could build a nice 45-50K on campus stadium and build a powerhouse program.....

Well what do you think? Who would you add?

North
BC
Cuse
Pitt
ND
U of L
VaTech
UVA

South
The U
FSU
GaTech
Clemson
UNC
NcState
Wake
Duke

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Central Florida. Right in the middle of Florida--Orlando

Dec 28, 2013, 7:04 PM

with an up and coming program that will grow in the years to come. A trip to Disney/Orlando every so often for Tiger fans.

Gives us another Southern team. I like Southern teams. Clemson is a Southern team.

GO TIGERS!!!!!!!!!!!

Message was edited by: AThomas®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Central Florida brings nothing to the table

Dec 28, 2013, 8:37 PM

as far as TV $, nothing as far as athletic tradition, and even less as far as academic reputation. They would not get a first look, much less a second, from the ACC.

I think the ACC stays at 14 for football. IF Notre Dame joins up for football, they will bring a school a lot better than UCF with them. Penn State is not beyond the realm of possibility. A recalcitrant Maryland is not either. UConn and Navy would be long shots but not as long as UCF. In fact, Notre Dame may insist upon Navy if Penn State is not an option.

Re: When The ACC goes to 16 teams who would you like to

Dec 28, 2013, 7:05 PM

I figure our new Pres from WV will try to get them in the ACC. I personally dont like WV, the school, fan base , or even the state for that matter. ND should be forced to fish or cut bait on full football membership in the next few years

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

not happy about the ND situation either...***

Dec 28, 2013, 7:06 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 28, 2013, 7:09 PM [ in reply to Re: When The ACC goes to 16 teams who would you like to ]

Once all the conferences go to 9 game schedules it will make it even harder on Notre Dame..... Plus I think the playoffs will be filled with conference champion and ND will have no choice...

Dec 28, 2013, 7:10 PM

yeah see I dont think you should go if you cant win your conf

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 28, 2013, 7:13 PM

I think it will happen and you will hear nothing but crying from the SEC next year as they only get one team...... Then after a few years you won't be hearing I am a SEC fan anymore............

I agree. Only 4 playoff spots and 5 major conference

Dec 28, 2013, 7:15 PM [ in reply to Re: When The ACC goes to 16 teams who would you like to ]

champions to fill them. One champion is going to get left out.

It won't take long to go to 8 playoff spots.***

Dec 28, 2013, 9:47 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Dec 28, 2013, 7:19 PM [ in reply to Re: When The ACC goes to 16 teams who would you like to ]

ACC will not go to 16 in foot ball unless ND decides to.... ND adds more value to the media rights with 5 football games every 2 years and all other sports than anyother team in the country would with a full conference football schedule.

The ACC is sitting in the cat birds seat if we can get and keep 4 or 5 teams in the top 25 and at least 1 in the top 5.....

Dec 28, 2013, 7:27 PM

I think the new playoffs will force their hand..... I also see all conference moving to 9 game schedule making it harder for ND to play a national schedule.

Dec 28, 2013, 7:48 PM

I think the inevitable 9 game conference schedule everyone is going to will have a larger impact on Notre Dame than the playoff. No reason not to join a conference if you can't play who you want to anyway

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 29, 2013, 10:13 AM

> I think the inevitable 9 game conference schedule
> everyone is going to will have a larger impact on
> Notre Dame than the playoff. No reason not to join a
> conference if you can't play who you want to anyway

Totally agree with this, and based on the money ND brings in this is the only factor that will force ND to join a conference....they simply make too much money on their own to join a conference.

Once Michigan and Southern Cal are forced to drop ND due to more demands of conference schedules, Notre Dame could be in a real pickle.

Dec 28, 2013, 7:12 PM

Navy

Dec 28, 2013, 7:17 PM

I'd love to see us poach Vandy. A service academy would add nothing.

Dec 28, 2013, 7:25 PM

If we pouched anyone from the sec it would be U of K they are more like a ACC team with their basketball history.... they would have several rivals in the acc and now they have none in the sec..... UNC, Duke, U of L, ND, Cuse, Pitt, and UVA...

They don't improve our football product.***

Dec 28, 2013, 7:26 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: They don't improve our football product.***

Dec 28, 2013, 7:41 PM

I know everyone thinks its all about football, but you can't fill programming on The ACC network or any network with football...... Look at the Big10 Network and it's programming it's very little live football one game a week............ UK basketball fans would buy whatever channel they are one ............. UK is far more valuable than most teams in the SEC.......

The Duke/Carolina basketball game is very valuable to ESPN..... If you don't think so look at the way the promote that game.....

Dec 28, 2013, 9:12 PM [ in reply to Re: When The ACC goes to 16 teams who would you like to ]

with what the sec money affords its members, why would Vanderbilt leave? the sec is the only conference with NO exit fee for leaving.

Penn State***

Dec 28, 2013, 7:20 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Penn State

Dec 28, 2013, 7:34 PM

No thanks.

Precisely my thought....If ND comes aboard completely,

Dec 28, 2013, 7:36 PM [ in reply to Penn State*** ]

Penn State would be an excellent target, and the ACC should charge headfirst into the fray to attempt to land them.

1 Penn St 2 WVU 3 UConn 4 Cinn 5 UCF 6 USF 7 Navy 8 Army***

Dec 28, 2013, 9:21 PM [ in reply to Penn State*** ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agree, good choice.***

Dec 28, 2013, 9:34 PM [ in reply to Penn State*** ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not so sure you can bank on ND joining fully

Dec 28, 2013, 7:26 PM

If they go 12-0 they will no doubt be in the top 4. They are normally over ranked every year and they'll have a very solid schedule with usc and Stanford every year to go along with the acc games. They don't need a conference ship.

Number 1 ranked FSU or Clemson and top rated ND. Who

Dec 28, 2013, 7:28 PM

goes for ACC? How much of a crap storm would that create?

Re: Not so sure you can bank on ND joining fully

Dec 28, 2013, 7:33 PM [ in reply to Not so sure you can bank on ND joining fully ]

Things will change with the playoff..... USC and Stanford will be playing 9 PAC12 teams not sure they will keep playing ND..... Plus the top 4 teams in the AP or USAToday will not make up the playoff.... The playoffs are run and owned by the five power conferences you will not see more than one team from each conference in the playoffs with only 4 teams....

This year FSU, Auburn, Michigan State and either Stanford or Baylor make the playoffs and Bama stays home.... The crying on ESPN and radio talk shows from Bama fans would have been great.............

Dec 28, 2013, 7:37 PM

But do you really think a 12-0 ND gets left out to a one loss Conference champ like Baylor or mich st? I just don't think so.

I believe a good SOS and Conference Championship...

Dec 28, 2013, 7:41 PM

will give preference to a one loss team over a 12-0 ND if ND's SOS isn't extremely impressive.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 28, 2013, 7:45 PM [ in reply to Re: Not so sure you can bank on ND joining fully ]

No they would get in, but that is the only way.... How many times do you think ND will go 12-0? Conference gives you a chance to have a bad game.......... This gives all the conference the same advantage the SEC has enjoyed lose a game and you still have a shot......... Look at Bama if they played in another conference they wouldn't have gotten a shot at a single national title........

Dec 28, 2013, 7:54 PM

Yeah last years ship would have been florida and notre dame LOL if Bama was in another conference and went 11-1

Navy!

Dec 28, 2013, 7:47 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

ACC To 16 Teams

Dec 28, 2013, 8:13 PM

Any new member will need to increase the ACC TV package by at least $20m or current members would see a decrease in income. Which school can bring $20m or more?

Re: When The ACC goes to 16 teams who would you like to***

Dec 28, 2013, 8:19 PM

Re: When The ACC goes to 16 teams who would you like to***

Dec 28, 2013, 8:19 PM

Norte Dame should be forced to #### or get off the pot now

Dec 28, 2013, 8:20 PM

Not later. They just aren't all that anymore

You may not like them but they are the #1 choice when

Dec 28, 2013, 9:37 PM

it comes to adding value and fans wherever they play.

Penn St.

Dec 28, 2013, 8:21 PM

Assuming ND decides to join for football the best choice for #16 would be Penn St. They'd have the biggest stadium in the conference, and you know they won't stay down for much longer. ND and Penn St would allow the ACC to split North-South with divisions that are pretty even for football.

University of Alabama on my ACC wish list***

Dec 28, 2013, 8:22 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Bama sucks ,,,,, screw them***

Dec 28, 2013, 8:45 PM

Dec 28, 2013, 8:31 PM

I also like Navy as an addition. No, they won't be the conference champion, but they play competitive (took ND to the wire this year) and are very good in a lot of other sports. I also think it would be great to have a service academy as a part of the conference. Also, Annapolis is one of the best road trips you could ask for.

Definitely

Dec 28, 2013, 8:39 PM

Navy! It would be a great trip plus meaningful with having a service academy as well as unhold the college athletics spirit. Money isn't everything.

ACC s Mia FSU GT CU NC NCS VT VA n WV MD PI PS RU UC BC SY

Dec 28, 2013, 9:32 PM

Then
SEC
e FL GA SC TN KY Lou AL AU w MS MSS LSU AR A&M OKS TCU Bay

BIG
e Cin OHS MI MIS Ind Pur ND Ill w Mizz Wis Minn IA IAS Neb KS KSS

PAC
S Tex TT OU CO UT BYU ASU AZ n USC UCLA Cal Stan OR ORS WA WAS

duke wake Vandy NW Army Navy Temple Tulane form the smart school Conf

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Old Big East Division vs Old ACC Division***

Dec 29, 2013, 12:37 AM

South Carolina, Penn State, Navy, West Virginia.

Dec 29, 2013, 9:46 AM

Clemson fans SHOULD want South Carolina back in the ACC. I know it will NEVER happen because it brings so little to the conference and South Carolina is very happy in the SEC (as they should be) but if we go to nine conference games it would be very helpful to Clemson if our rival didn't take up an OOC game.

The next pipe dream would be Penn State. Again, I cannot imagine this happening. Maybe before the Big Ten got Maryland and Rutgers, but not now.

Getting more realistic, Navy is a great choice for these reasons:
1) It would probably be one of the ways we GET Notre Dame to commit to the ACC in football. If they could join a conference that already has rivalry games of Navy, BC and GT, I'm sure that would be ideal for them.
2) Navy's attendance actually isn't HORRIBLE. It's not much less than Maryland's, and that's with an Independent schedule.
3) It reclaims DC, arguably more so than Maryland had it.
4) It's obviously prestigious academically.
5) It obviously has a national presence.
6) The Army/Navy game would be a mar.quee game every year.

Failing that, I would love to have West Virginia. If we could negotiate for their release from Big 12 prison, they would add a passionate fan base that travels well, they make great sense geographically, and they are perfect rivals for Pitt, VT...maybe Louisville.

If all that failed, maybe go after a UConn (yuck) or Central Florida.

Oh, and I also like the North/South Divisions.

null

Re: South Carolina, Penn State, Navy, West Virginia.

Dec 29, 2013, 10:20 AM

This whole thread has been entertaining reading.

After looking at all the opinions, I've come to the conclusion there isn't a team out there worth having that would realistically join in today's TV money environment and of those teams that would join, none of those are really worth having.

Replies: 46
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic