Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Isn't Dabo the "Dean" of ACC football coaches?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 1

Isn't Dabo the "Dean" of ACC football coaches?

Oct 13, 2020, 11:17 PM

....and probably by a good bit?

Seems like even Paul Johnson at G-Tech was hired as HC after Dabo, and he's gone now. Also, was thinking Jimbo was officially HC at FSU after Dabo too - - now gone.

I suppose Frank Beamer was the DEAN after B. Bowden exited the Noles, but Beamer's been gone - 4 seasons?? Gotta be Dabo I guess...

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Isn't Dabo the "Dean" of ACC football coaches?

Oct 13, 2020, 11:30 PM

It’s Coach Cut at Duke. He started at the beginning of the 2008 season while Coach Swinney started mid season 2008.

Yep, Cutcliffe has the edge...

Oct 13, 2020, 11:33 PM

...began HC at Duke in 08.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was 6 my Mother let me have a kitten. It died. Don't send prayers, a TU is better." - tugalooriver circa 2022

Oct 13, 2020, 11:40 PM

He’s definitely Daddy.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 13, 2020, 11:44 PM

based strictly on results,dabo is far and away the dean of acc coaches.cutcliff may have a small edge in time,but otherwise no comparison.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Paul Johnson was coach of GT on Dabo's first game ...

Oct 14, 2020, 2:05 AM

... as interim coach, so no Dabo was not hired before Johnson.

Paul Johnson was head coach at GT before Dabo was

Oct 14, 2020, 6:27 AM

head coach at Clemson. Dabo's first game as head coach was against Johnson's GT team in the valley.

But your post is correct - Dabo is the senior (in current tenure) head football coach in the ACC. He is also the best coach in the ACC and all of college football in my opinion.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 14, 2020, 10:00 AM

13 Seasons: Cutcliffe
12.5 Seasons: Dabo
12 Seasons: Mack Brown
10 Seasons: Brian Kelly (technically for this season only)
8 Season: Dave Doeren

My feeble mind thinks of Mack Brown as the dean of ACC coach

Oct 14, 2020, 10:15 AM

I may be using a different set of criteria than most. I would have, if they were active had,

1. Bobby Bowden
2. Frank Beamer
3. Mack Brown
4. Dabo Swinney
Big Drop to 5. Cutcliff

This has nothing to do with who is the "better" coach , in my analysis. If I had to rate the coaches that I would want ay Clemson from "ONLY" that list, it would look like this.

1. Dabo
2. Cutcliff
3. Bobby Bowden
4. Mack Brown
5. Frank Beamer

In that order, and assuming all were in their prime at Clemson.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: My feeble mind thinks of Mack Brown as the dean of ACC coach

Oct 14, 2020, 11:01 AM

+1, but I would leave Bowden off the list. He was successful, but he spent his off season as a character witness at his players trials. I might be disremembering, but I recall one summer he appeared in court 16 times.

Also would move Beamer up the list.

Re: My feeble mind thinks of Mack Brown as the dean of ACC coach

Oct 14, 2020, 11:10 AM [ in reply to My feeble mind thinks of Mack Brown as the dean of ACC coach ]

Beamer had a lot of other shadow, off season issues as well. Fuente has been struggling with cleaning some of that up.

Both built programs, granted Beamer had a harder chunk of rock to plow at his alma mater - which is a plus point in my book.

I would add George Welsh to the list, especially over Cutcliffe or Mack since you are considering former coaches with Bowden/Beamer.

Replies: 10
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic