Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Biggest Regrets Tuesday
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 59
| visibility 1

Biggest Regrets Tuesday

Feb 23, 2021, 9:08 AM

The "missing out on the BC" thread below stirred it all up again... the biggest "I wish I had moments". One of those is not buying some mountain property way back in the eighties. I had just re-enlisted in the USN and received a $16k bonus... could have purchased a few hundred acres of really nice Mountain property ($100 per acre) and decided not to. OMG, i wish i had that property now. Not to sell - but to enjoy

This was the beginning of my woes... (what could have beens) :)

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

John 3:16; 14:1-6

When we graduated from Clemson, we moved back near

Feb 23, 2021, 9:19 AM

home to be close to our families, both of us had elderly grandparents, etc. We discussed moving to Charleston area and discussed Greenville area but ultimately came back home. It was nice seeing family but they are mostly gone now and it is getting kinda lonely around here. We both have regrets that we never moved out of SC for any point of our lives. We might do it in the next few years but I know that it probably aint happening either. There is always some reason to not make that move.

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I have a suggestion

Feb 23, 2021, 9:22 AM

Home prices in Raleigh are ridiculous right now. SIL and BIL just bought a $750k house and if we have any aims to have another baby, we will need to go in that direction.

If you move to Raleigh, our combined finances could possibly afford a compound where we could raise our kids together. We could start our own Montessori school so our children can learn everything their little woke hearts could ever desire.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsonrulez08.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Please forgive me, @IneligibleUser

Houses everywhere are insane, I guess. Saw a local starter

Feb 23, 2021, 9:26 AM

home at 1500 SF and looks like sheet listed at $260k. I know that is low for you rich city-folk, but $175/SF for that crappy looking house is crazy high. It is a similar house to my first one and we sold it for $148 after buying it for $146 in 2006. Should have kept it and rented it, cashed out a $100k in equity.

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Check out this nice little starter home, conveniently

Feb 23, 2021, 9:48 AM

located within walking distance of Waffle House and a strip mall that has a Little Caesars. Other attractions include the Milikin plant and an RV park that seems to be a permanent home for a surprising amount of people.

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/101-Printers-St_Pendleton_SC_29670_M91255-99730

This cannot be sustainable.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"0.2 acres"***

Feb 23, 2021, 9:54 AM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Who doesn't want to high five their neighbor out their

Feb 23, 2021, 9:56 AM

bathroom window?

When you have cool neighbors, it doesn't matter.

Feb 23, 2021, 11:25 AM

The added plus is no yard work.

When you DON'T have cool neighbors, well, then you have to move.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Look at all that beautiful stone work on the front of the

Feb 23, 2021, 10:08 AM [ in reply to Check out this nice little starter home, conveniently ]

house, open floor plan, built on a slab. Takemymoney

The carpet staircase really does it for me***

Feb 23, 2021, 10:11 AM

Didn't click on the link until you said this . . . WOW - I

Feb 23, 2021, 10:22 AM

built a house that was all like this in 1992.

That is incredible. So dated & stupid.

$250K for a house with vinyl wire closet systems . . . . AND a carpeted staircase.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

The whole house is trash, tract built cookie cutter crap

Feb 23, 2021, 10:25 AM

that sells like crazy

Being able to people watch during shift change at Milliken

Feb 23, 2021, 10:13 AM [ in reply to Look at all that beautiful stone work on the front of the ]

would be really neat. Walk over and get you a Dairy Queen shake, then kick back and watch everyone vape as they leave the plant!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Almost as much fun as Hartsfield in the ATL

Feb 23, 2021, 10:58 AM

Best place on Earth to people watch.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: When we graduated from Clemson, we moved back near

Feb 23, 2021, 9:22 AM [ in reply to When we graduated from Clemson, we moved back near ]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T80B7s7ekGo

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There are days I wish I'd followed Maria to Maine back in

Feb 23, 2021, 9:26 AM

'88 but she'd probably bored of me after awhile and I'd been stuck a long way from home in a cold dark lonely place.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”
Isaac Asimov

Re: There are days I wish I'd followed Maria to Maine back in

Feb 23, 2021, 9:36 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJR7JOTD7_0

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Interviewed at Bosch in Charleston years ago

Feb 23, 2021, 9:37 AM

Manager was all tell me what makes you different. Tell him no one will outwork me, completely dedicated to the team and all.

Dude looks me in the eye an says, everyone I interview will say that.

Younger me: well arrogant ###### like you will hear what you want to.

Didn't get the job, was still that dudes biggest mistake not hiring me.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My biggest regret was taking a part time teller job at

Feb 23, 2021, 9:43 AM

Wachovia out of pure desperation. I should have hung around a little longer working the temp jobs at Wachovia for a much higher pay rate. Taking that #### job put me in a career hole that I'll never get out of short of starting my own business or having a friend start one and just hire me to learn whatever.

Re: Biggest Regrets Tuesday

Feb 23, 2021, 9:59 AM

Serious?

- Not playing foosball past middle school in lieu of committing to AAU and fall travel baseball
- Choosing money and women by going to CofC on a full ride instead of ponying up and taking out student loans to go to Clemson.

Kinda serious

- Drinking/smoking/drugging myself out of untold amounts of poonanny in college and my early 20s. I got plenty, but the numbers would be phenomenal if I weren't a human trainwreck

- Not being there for FBCoachSC®'s birth so I could snap his neck before he became who he is today. (luh you)

It's Tuesday, don't get wasted tonight you may miss out on

Feb 23, 2021, 10:03 AM

sects with urself.

Ol' boy is pretty tame during the week

Feb 23, 2021, 10:37 AM

but come the weekend ? Stubborn is as ###### up as your average frat boy

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I know you've got some years, but they go by fast.

Feb 23, 2021, 10:50 AM [ in reply to Re: Biggest Regrets Tuesday ]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sG_yk5TzQXM

Too many to list... it would be depressing. Worked for high

Feb 23, 2021, 10:13 AM

tech/software companies my whole career. At least a half dozen times I either made a jump I shouldn't have, in hindsight... but it looked good at the time. Or I stayed with a company I shouldn't have, and rode it into the abyss. That industry is extremely volatile anyway... today's bleeding edge technology is obsolete tomorrow, etc. You're always guessing, and I guessed wrong a few times.

Opportunities to get in on IPOs... land I shoulda bought when it was cheap... Bummer.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A drunk will run a STOP sign, but a stoner will wait for it to turn green.

Not marrying my wife sooner

Feb 23, 2021, 10:16 AM

This is a cry for help.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsonrulez08.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

SHE GOTS YOUR LOG-IN! SHE GOTS YOUR LOG-IN!***

Feb 23, 2021, 10:18 AM

Well, RH told you what to do, but you don't #### listen.

Feb 23, 2021, 10:51 AM [ in reply to Not marrying my wife sooner ]

Just like not wrapping that butt.

I would TD this post if I didn't like you***

Feb 23, 2021, 11:57 AM

Re: Not marrying my wife sooner

Feb 23, 2021, 11:45 AM [ in reply to Not marrying my wife sooner ]

Top 30 Best Diet GIFs | Find the best GIF on Gfycat

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

I honestly don't have many regrets in life, but...

Feb 23, 2021, 10:17 AM

I do regret not killing baby Hitler after I was caught in a time vortex with my pet velociraptor Bubbles and ended up in Austria in 1890. Well, that and taking the job with the CIA that started all that mess to begin with.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 23, 2021, 10:18 AM

Feb 23, 2021, 10:21 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIq1LvzSLsk

Really should have bought that houseboat to live on. I always figured, yeah everyone is probably right, I'll end up hating it blah blah blah. But you know what? I've spoken to many people over the years that lived on houseboats, and they loved it. Kind of reminds me of the whole, "if you get a referral in high school it could keep you from getting into college" nonsense people peddled way back.

I wish I would have studied even a little bit in college

Feb 23, 2021, 10:33 AM

admittedly I still have had good jobs and a nice life but I wonder what might have been if I had been to class a few more times and studied occasionally.

I will add to that... staying home with my kids for 8 years

Feb 23, 2021, 1:04 PM

was probably $1M in lost earnings (not factoring in the cost of childcare etc.)

I don't regret it, but when you frame it like that it's hard not to wonder what might have been.

Passing out drunk and not D'ing down this nekkid chick I had

Feb 23, 2021, 10:39 AM

in my bed in college. One of the best pair of tids I ever seent. (no pigs un4tunately).

Okay, now do it 6 or 7 times in the course

Feb 23, 2021, 11:11 AM

of about 4 years.

No, I actually learn from my mistakes.

Feb 23, 2021, 11:24 AM

Sometimes.

So many***

Feb 23, 2021, 10:40 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

One main one on the the StubbornTiger topic

Feb 23, 2021, 11:16 AM

is not dicking down that amateur fitness model I grew up with that had 36FFF's. Even though she was throwing all kinds of hints my way, I completely whiffed on noticing them.

36FFFs?

Feb 23, 2021, 11:50 AM

Did you mean Fatness model?

Furreal, how she gonna work out with them thangs?

Feb 23, 2021, 12:16 PM

Can't run, she'd get black eyes. Couldn't do much weights, they'd get in the way. Only thing I can think of is squats, and even then, they'd probably drop between her legs once she got paralel.

They were glorious***

Feb 23, 2021, 12:21 PM

I guess a "fitness model" may have a slightly different

Feb 23, 2021, 1:10 PM

look in your area than maybe in some others.

Flat stomach, large round ###

Feb 23, 2021, 1:17 PM

and massive knockers that could take an eye out

When she wore extremely tight sports bras they would still stick out a good foot from her chest.

Fake News. Fitness Model to your types means she is

Feb 23, 2021, 1:12 PM [ in reply to They were glorious*** ]

fitness entire pizza in her mouf.

Wish I had stuck with doing trial presentations and

Feb 23, 2021, 10:50 AM

turned it into a business instead of going to law school. I used to put together photoshop/powerpoint/audio-video productions for trials and mediations on really big cases. I did it for one firm but had started to get interest from other big firms to do work on their cases. Instead, I went to law school. Another guy came in and took over, but he never really could get the business off the ground.

Which leads to number two. I invested about 3k in his business, which was heavily dependent on Apple tech. I think I figured out one time that if I had thrown the same 3000 directly into Apple Stock, it'd be worth about 600K today.

I like what I do, but I don't love it like I loved my last gig.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-fordprefect.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Only big regret

Feb 23, 2021, 10:58 AM

is not buying a house immediately getting out of college in Atlanta. Could've gotten a good jump on wealth accumulation and house hacked with a bunch of buddies to build equity. Rented instead for 4ish years. Those 4ish years were also filled with Panic shows and drugs and what not, so it was a fun time.

Smaller ones:
- wish I would've learned more about personal finance at an earlier age.
- kind of wish I would've been a better student at Tech, but made it out and got a job and had a blast doing it, so on the fence about that one. got in some serrous trouble that I kind of regret, but it worked out in the end and was a natural course correction
- wish I would've played golf in HS. I was a scratch golfer going into 9th grade, but when I went to HS in florida for football, the golf season was in the fall so I gave it up. college golf >>> college FB for an average sized white dude
- should've taken the GMAT right out of college and gotten my MBA when I had the chance. my GPA was #### though, plus I had a big mark on my "record"...so idk if I would've gotten in. Probably don't need it and would've led me further down the consulting grind, so I reckon it worked out.
- would've liked to travel internationally more

I hit a wrong key and deleted my long post about selling my

Feb 23, 2021, 11:11 AM

'67 RS/SS350 Camaro. I'm not typing all that again. Just another life lesson, new regrets can pop up anytime.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Do you regret hitting the wrong key?***

Feb 23, 2021, 11:33 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I should have gone to NC State instead of Clemson

Feb 23, 2021, 11:22 AM

This is a hate crime***

Feb 23, 2021, 11:58 AM

LOL. I went to HS in NC, I had a lot of friends go to State

Feb 23, 2021, 12:07 PM

and didn't know anybody at Clemson.

Had family history at Clemson, tho, and sure am glad I crossed the border.

FYT

I work with a handful of people who say they should have

Feb 23, 2021, 1:15 PM

gone to NC State. Most of them went to Charlotte though, so it makes sense. I had no idea NCState was even a decent school until I went to work in Charlotte. Still got about 5 Clemson grads in the office as compared to maybe 10 NC State, 10 UNCC, and others scattered about.

If I still owned all of the stock I'd ever bought, I'd have

Feb 23, 2021, 11:32 AM

enough to sell that I could be typing this message from my private island in the Caribbean.

I've made some very good acquisitions and made a decent profit - but I got out of them all too soon.

I have a few, not many.

Feb 23, 2021, 11:42 AM

Not joining the military right out of college. Dad joined before he got drafted and thought it would be as bad for me as it was for him. I doubt it, because no one would have been shooting at me. Lots of benefits to being a veteran.

Back in the early 80's my dad put my name on the list to be a member of Gold bug island. I called them in the mid 90's and they had conveniently lost my name. Since they are about 50 years out on new memberships now, I'll never be a member. There were some shenanigans that went on with that. I wish we would have kept up with it over the years rather than forget about it and come back to it 15+ years later.

Not buying every possible POS house in the Old village in Mt P in the early 90's. The gold rush hadn't started yet--but it did by the late 90's. Those thigs were selling in mid 5 figures in the 80's. Had I bought 3 or 4 of those little fishing village houses back in the day and rented them out, I could have retired by this point.

Not winning the Powerball jackpot.

Never learning how to weld. I mean weld like I was a professional, not like I'm sticking two pieces of metal together.

Maybe the same with playing guitar, but I can't sing, so maybe it doesn't matter. (but neither can Slash, and look at him)

Not having done anything I've done in my life and just moved to the keys or the Bahamas at 18. No idea where that would have taken me, but it would have a been good story or two to tell. The cokayeen trade was still pretty hot back then, so I'd prob have either been killed, or been a millionaire.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If you still have a guitar...

Feb 23, 2021, 12:33 PM

give it 30 minutes a day EVERY DAY for a year using YouTube videos. You'll be shocked what you can do on day 366.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I grew up in the mountins and even

Feb 23, 2021, 11:48 AM

in late 80's early 90's prices were still $4-5k an acre and that is in the absolutely middle of nowhere. Where the heck you buying for $100 an acre?

Heck, we couldn't hardly sell my parents' place with 30 acres and farm house. Took about a year to sell. That is just how far it is out in the sticks. Prices there are still $8k an acre or so.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not just taking out the loan for the extra $

Feb 23, 2021, 11:52 AM

and going to Furman. I should have never gone down the track I went college wise. Like KMS, I have been lucky to have great jobs and a great life of experiences, but I always wished that I had stayed closer to home, gone to Furman and gotten the degree that I wanted.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Is it a Dance Degree, specifically?

Feb 23, 2021, 12:39 PM

or does it fall under the broader Theatre Arts?

Bought a BMW Z4 at age 30

Feb 23, 2021, 5:18 PM

Should have bought that or a Z3 much much earlier. So much friggin' fun.

I probably should have studied more in college, but it didn't impact my life at all other than forcing me to spend an extra fall semester at Clemson (yay!) during the Tommy West years (boo!).

Some missed stock opportunities.

Otherwise, life has been good other than working a little too hard and too late some nights.

Replies: 59
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic