Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Parenting done right - Remembering D-Day
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 1

Parenting done right - Remembering D-Day

Jun 6, 2017, 8:36 AM
boy1.jpg(40.8 K)

An incredible way to honor and remember D-Day and the sacrifices of all who have fought. This is a powerful 7 minute video, well worth watching. I watched it this morning after I got to work and somehow some darn confetti found it's way into my eyes....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8k9Si28k0Fk

"In June 2014, an 11-year-old boy visited Normandy, France for the 70th anniversary of the D-Day invasion. As part of the boy’s personal project, titled “Project Vigil,” this little boy spent four days teaching visitors and tourists about three paratroopers who had been buried in the American Cemetery.

During the official D-Day celebration, local police didn’t allow the boy to enter the cemetery in his WWII-style uniform. So the boy took his American flag down to Omaha Beach and planted it in the sand. Staring out at the ocean, the little boy wanted to thank all the Americans who died 70 years earlier in the fight against fascism and evil.

As the young boy struggled to hold the flag steady in the forceful wind, he suddenly witnessed a vision of American infantry soldiers heading bravely towards their fate on the morning of June 6, 1944. Gazing across the English Channel, and so moved by this vision, he brought up his hand to salute the past.

Standing alone, holding the American flag, this little boy stood firm and held his salute for over an hour and a half. While he continued this vigil, interested tourists, children, veterans, well-wishers and all sorts of people went down to see if the story was true, that on the 70th anniversary of the D-Day invasion, there stood a boy and an American flag."

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm going to Normandy in July - have always wanted......

Jun 6, 2017, 9:04 AM

to see the beaches and the German gun emplacements, etc. as well as the American cemetery. Am expecting it to be an emotional experience.

always remember -- the cemetery there

Jun 6, 2017, 12:31 PM

is not full of 75-80 year olds, which is what your mind imagines when you see a cemetery --- it is filled with 18, 19, 20, 21 year olds.

The kid in the video is only 6 or 7 years younger than many of the boys buried there. Let that soak in for a minute.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thanks for posting.

Jun 6, 2017, 9:11 AM

Good Stuff.
It's also obvious this family doesn't watch PMSNBC.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

Re: Parenting done right - Remembering D-Day

Jun 6, 2017, 10:22 AM

I told my 9 year old Son today about D-Day on the way to Tennis Camp, and let him watch a short video online about the event. Explaining the significance and bravery these men illustrated in defending our freedom.

Freedom comes at a price and that is still true today.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 6, 2017, 11:27 AM

I've sent this link out to several friends this morning. Excellent tribute. There is hope for this younger generation!!

Jun 6, 2017, 12:08 PM

What an incredible young man. I have seen this video before but it's one of those rare events that should bring a tear to the eye of the most hardened individuals. It isn't the war we honor, it's the men and women who made the supreme sacrifice. So many lives were touched on that day, those in uniform, parents, brothers, sisters, spouses, children, grand parents, relatives and friends. No cross road, no village, no town, no city was spared the agony of news about a loved one or friend who had lost their life or was severely wounded. As I posted in another thread, I was stationed at Camp Crowder, MO, on that date. Our training had been suspended for the day so we could gather around the radio to listen to updates on the invasion.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thank you for posting.***

Jun 6, 2017, 12:43 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Great Story! Thank you for posting and sharing that with us***

Jun 6, 2017, 1:25 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Great Story! Thank you for posting and sharing that with us***

Jun 6, 2017, 1:45 PM

For some reason when I try to post a new topic, it sends me to "Sign In" and my post is deleted. I'll just add this here.

Wright Bryan was a Clemson grad who had an outstanding career in journalism with the Atlanta Journal and Cleveland Plain Dealer. He broadcast the first eyewitness account of the D-Day invasion on June 6, 1944. On Sept. 3, 1944, he was wounded and captured by the Germans. He spent several months in Oflag 64, a Nazi POW camp in Poland. He was liberated in 1945. (This is from his bio).

I got to know Mr. Bryan after his retirement when he moved back to Clemson. He was an interesting person and his description of WW2 events were some of the best accounts I have ever heard or read.

I would highly recommend your Googling WRIGHT BRYAN for additional accounts of his life and career.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 9
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic