Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Please watch this
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 481

Please watch this

Nov 26, 2020, 9:01 PM

Social Dilemma

https://www.netflix.com/title/81254224

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Said the same thing about televisions and video games...

Nov 26, 2020, 9:06 PM

40 years ago.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-beeksteak-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Said the same thing about televisions and video games...

Nov 26, 2020, 9:14 PM

Dude you are seriously ignorant. There's no feedback loop on anything in the past like TV and video games. None.

You must have your head buried in the sand if you can't see the effects of social media in your own world. Open your eyes.

Worse, it is libs like you that are manipulated to the max. More libs use and abuse social media than conservatives and it shows. Especially girls and women. Look at suicide rates of young girls - direct result of social media and lack of self esteem.

You sound fun***

Nov 26, 2020, 9:19 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-beeksteak-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Lutz. Liberal? Beef prolly has General Lee on the wall.***

Nov 26, 2020, 10:02 PM [ in reply to Re: Said the same thing about televisions and video games... ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

lol you crazy, wax and incense burners only.***

Nov 26, 2020, 10:04 PM

Nov 27, 2020, 9:39 AM [ in reply to Re: Said the same thing about televisions and video games... ]

NC,

WOW, I was about to agree with you about the privacy intrusion and feedback loops - and then you went entirely off the deep end - drawing massive conclusions from your own bias. Slow down a little bit and look for some evidence.

Nov 27, 2020, 10:47 AM [ in reply to Re: Said the same thing about televisions and video games... ]

NC_Tiger_ said:

Dude you are seriously ignorant. There's no feedback loop on anything in the past like TV and video games. None.

You must have your head buried in the sand if you can't see the effects of social media in your own world. Open your eyes.

Worse, it is libs like you that are manipulated to the max. More libs use and abuse social media than conservatives and it shows. Especially girls and women. Look at suicide rates of young girls - direct result of social media and lack of self esteem.

You are exactly right about that documentary. I watched it a couple of weeks ago after a friend told me about it. It is horrifying, everyone should watch it.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 27, 2020, 12:58 PM [ in reply to Re: Said the same thing about televisions and video games... ]

What caused their suicides before social media?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

Libtard!***

Nov 26, 2020, 10:00 PM [ in reply to Said the same thing about televisions and video games... ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Gayyyyyyyyyyy***

Nov 26, 2020, 10:01 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Gayyyyyyyyyyy***

Nov 26, 2020, 10:01 PM

Whoops. Guess I am about to get banned for this type of behavior.

Oh for the love!! Please help me!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 27, 2020, 9:42 AM [ in reply to Said the same thing about televisions and video games... ]

Beef,

I think if you will watch the program, they will show you various evidence of individual feedback manipulations that could not exist with TV and video games.

It was good.

Nov 26, 2020, 9:06 PM

The sidebar things/action points with dialogue was dumb.

Re: It was good.

Nov 26, 2020, 9:19 PM

Dumb, but highly accurate. They showed a HS athlete giving up his soccer and becoming radicalized. They showed a young girl emotionally distraught over needing acceptance of her social media friends. This is happening all over the place, right in front of our eyes. Portland, Seattle, BLM...much of it driven by social media, fake news, and division.

The libs do not want to admit the possibility that what we have all been saying, about them being manipulated sheep, is true. In fact it is true and it's high time more people figure it out.

It is not a red/blue thing - it is a human manipulation thing and the libs better recognize it soon...

I’m not saying

Nov 26, 2020, 10:34 PM

it shouldn’t, but if you only think this should be a wake up call for ‘libs’ then you haven’t been paying attention...the last four years especially.

Yep... Twatter-in-Chief surely understood it...***

Nov 27, 2020, 1:58 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 26, 2020, 11:50 PM [ in reply to Re: It was good. ]

But YOU aren't being manipulated at all.

You clearly missed the whole point of The Social Dilemma...which is confirmation bias. The point of the show was how our social media inputs create self-sealing bubbles of confirmation bias delivered by algorithms that detect the things you seem to be interested in and feed you more of the same precisely because it engages you...which only solidifies your view that your perception is in fact the correct one.

I myself don't have any social media whatsoever - I cut off my Facebook and Twitter years back and have never been on Instagram or Tik-Tok or Parler - because what was presented in that show actually aren't new considerations; beyond the fact that we were being manipulated, our personal data was being sold off as well and there were significant privacy issues in every aspect of social media. As for confirmation bias - well, I'm eclectic: everything interests me; I make a point of reading everything I can from all points of view - Fox News, CNN, PBS, the Atlantic, Wall Street Journal.

Do you have any social media accounts active? Do you make a point of reading from across the spectrum and considering all points of view?

Because you do not give that appearance at all.

Nov 27, 2020, 9:49 AM [ in reply to Re: It was good. ]

NC,

It is not a red/blue thing - it is a human manipulation thing and the libs better recognize it soon...

Can you even hear yourself ? It IS a manipulation of human tendencies - of conservatives and liberals - but you are so manipulated that you can only see the liberal manipulation.

Let's be human first - and recognize that all humans have tendencies that these media algorithms are built to take advantage of. And that the only way to thwart them is to be aware of our own capacity to be manipulated and to consciously work to prevent it.

What social networking did for me:

Nov 26, 2020, 10:08 PM

Increased my typing speed and accuracy, first, and it gave me an insight into how many other people feel about politics, sports, movies, books, music, relationships...

By being on this Clemson board for 20 years, I’ve moved to the right quite a bit.

I'm not watching it.

Nov 26, 2020, 11:23 PM

My phone hasn't had a service connected to it in over a decade. I got 7 children, two exes, 13 grandchildren, 15 nephews and nieces. Do the math.

I get emails from all of them telling me I need a phone in case of an emergency. I have a predrafted email in my drafts folder:

"To Whom It May Concern,

If you have an emergence please dial 911. Granddaddy doesn't fight fires, is too far away to deter thieves and robbers and does not run an ambulance service. 911 is your best option.

If someone dies send me an email. I can't raise the dead either.

Sin

GD

PS, y'all ain't making me carry a phone and you're not putting a ring in my nose either,

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You needed a Netflix show to tell you this stuff?

Nov 27, 2020, 12:46 AM

Hey..did you also know the government examines every overseas phone call and email you and everyone else makes?

"Overseas...?" If a keyword comes up...ANYWHERE! If people

Nov 27, 2020, 2:03 AM

didn't understand what Snowden was saying, it's probably time to take a refresher course....

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That wasn't really the point...

Nov 27, 2020, 11:54 AM

The point was none of this is new. Social networks have been attempting to do this since Compuserve made chatrooms. Eyes have been the selling product since the first 3rd party advertisement.

Why it takes a netflix show to explain the basics is astounding to me.

Replies: 23
| visibility 481
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic