Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Outside of one's major, favorite course
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 1

Outside of one's major, favorite course

Jul 9, 2020, 10:08 PM

Science fiction in the English department. This was an elective course that was filled and they could have had a second class that year. Good books. Not the fantasies being pushed as science fiction. Books I remember from course was Shelly's Frankenstein. Rite of Passage. Naked Sun. Dune. There were more but I can not remember their titles.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Needed one hour, so took canoeing. Went out to y-beach once

Jul 9, 2020, 10:13 PM

a week in the afternoon and got to get out on Hartwell and paddle. Great course! Paddled around the bridge pilings and things like that. All that paddling as a Scout came in handy!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Took sailing. It was immediately prior

Jul 9, 2020, 10:34 PM

to my chem lab, so once in a while, I was a bit soggy during that one...

Re: Outside of one's major, favorite course

Jul 9, 2020, 10:47 PM

I took Coaching Education my senior year. It was a basic kinesiology class taught by the track coach and met in what is now Old Main. It was a good class for my GPA with the added benefit that when I go to the Y, I know exactly what muscle group hurts the next day.

Ag Econ 301 - Frosty Bauknight - great story teller***

Jul 9, 2020, 11:00 PM

Astronomy - Labs especially were great

Jul 9, 2020, 11:42 PM

nm

Humanzee 101

Jul 9, 2020, 11:57 PM

I made chimp human hybrids to use as super soldiers.

Eric Graben’s Poli Sci 105 my freshman year was always

Jul 10, 2020, 12:06 AM

the benchmark for me in terms of what a college-level class should be like. I was an engineering student but of course there were a lot of Poli Sci guys in the class who thought they understood the world. Graben could humble them politely and convincingly. And his assignments and tests were tough but I learned a ton.

null

Law course. Beginning law or introductory or something.....

Jul 10, 2020, 6:09 AM

Teacher always referred to herself as "mean ol' Ms. Brown" or whatever her name was. I think first name was Susan but can't recall last.

You could see she had potential to be real bear but none of us were intending to be lawyers so she made it very fun. Made me think I would have made pretty good lawyer.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Probably will come across as nerdy or militaristic,

Jul 10, 2020, 6:34 AM

but one of my favorite courses was Old English, and I thoroughly enjoyed all of my Army military science courses.

Wish I could recall his name, but an Army ROTC Instructor was a Staff Sergeant E-6, who was one of the most dynamic, enthusiastic and entertaining teachers during my entire time at Clemson.

I might add that I took a journalism course from Dr. Louis Henry my junior year, which also happened to be the year I was Editor-in-Chief of "The Tiger" student newspaper, He was the paper's adviser, and the paper won a number of awards that year, including being named one of the Top 25 collegiate newspapers in the nation, as an All American. Let's just say I made a very good grade in his course! LOL.

Message was edited by: hartins®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Probably will come across as nerdy or militaristic,

Jul 10, 2020, 8:11 AM

Took a bunch of Psych classes as electives while working on my IE degree. 2 reasons--multiple choice tests and the ladies soccer team's calves.

New Testament Religion 101. I needed a one hour course, it

Jul 10, 2020, 8:16 AM

was the most interesting course I ever took. The fact that I got an A and exempted the final probably has something to do with my fond remembrance. Only final I ever exempted the whole time I was at Clemson. :)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Human Sexuality with Dr. Spurgeon Cole.***

Jul 10, 2020, 8:48 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Jul 10, 2020, 9:50 AM

BOWLING absolutely!!!
We'd get a few beers at The Corporation and then go to bowling class in the Student Union.
Oh the good ole days...

"If a pig had a better personality, he would cease to be a filthy animal."

Jul 10, 2020, 11:46 AM

My bowling class was hard. We had the old swimming coach as the instructor. Forget his name. He made us bowl a certain score for our grade. Best I could do was a B.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 10, 2020, 2:05 PM

I had been bowling my whole life and had a 185 average back in high school.
It was an easy A.

Biology Lab. We made cottage cheese and ate it.***

Jul 10, 2020, 9:57 AM

Jul 10, 2020, 11:41 AM

I can honestly say that I didn't enjoy any of my classes. I was really immature. They were just things I had to do. My real passion was drinking with buddies and playing intramurals. If I did it all over again it would be way different

Jul 10, 2020, 2:08 PM

Carlsbad, what I was there from 1980-1984. Sounded like you were describing me.

Jul 10, 2020, 11:52 AM

Pinehurst #2

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 10, 2020, 5:33 PM

Outside of the swampy interior holes I will have to say the ocean course.

I really enjoyed my statistics courses.

Jul 10, 2020, 12:05 PM

Not exactly sure why. In one class, I do remember that we could have one note card with equations. I appriciated not having to memorize them.

Sailing

Jul 10, 2020, 12:33 PM

Tons of fun, but you gotta take in in the spring.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

https://as1.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/00/81/16/28/1000_F_81162810_8TlZDomtVuVGlyqWL2I4HA7Wlqw7cr5a.jpg

Only course I dropped at Clemson: GOLF

Jul 10, 2020, 1:34 PM

I was about a 7 handicapper coming out of high school, so I thought this would be a crip course and a great way to meet girls.

I went to the class that first Monday (2-4:30), and there was not a female in the class. Then the instructor said, "You will be graded this semester on your improvement from start to finish." B-Bye!

Clemson Experimental Forrest Class

Jul 10, 2020, 2:00 PM

Spent a semester exploring the experimental forrest around Lake Hartwell and Clemson campus. There is some very cool history behind the establishment of the forest. In a nutshell, poor irrigation techniques in 1800s and into early 1900’s washed away the 6’ of rich topsoil that used to be in the area, leaving the less fertile clay we all know so well. The Depression and New Deal saw the federal gov to purchase vast swathes of ‘useless’ land from farmers. Eventually this land was ceded to the University to oversee and manage with stipulation that no development could occur on land unless it was for ‘public good’. There are thousands of acres surrounding campus with waterfalls, Champion Trees, and homestead ruins that almost nobody know about... thoroughly enjoyed the class so much that a group of us convinced the professor to create a followup class the next semester.

Replies: 24
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic