Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Out Athlete vs. Out Coach/Execute/Prep
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 5
| visibility 1,549

Out Athlete vs. Out Coach/Execute/Prep

Dec 28, 2020, 1:41 AM

In watching the 2013 National Title game between Auburn and FSU; Mussberger and Herbstreit couldn't say enough about "SEC speed"! SEC talent and how it's just different than everybody else.

FSU had a kid that ran a 4.37 run a kickoff back 100 yards late in that game after Auburn made a FG. It changed the complexion of the game! He left all that SEC speed.

Not here talking FSU or Awful(Auburn). But, rather talking about the difference between a team that has to rely on "having better talent" to win. Compared to a team that relies on: preparation and execution. I have seen it in H.S. a bunch(small scale). The more athletic team and the one that passes the "eye test" doesn't always win. The team that can hold their water and play with a controlled violence and focused aggression wins more often than not!
To me - we have a situation coming up soon for Clemson football where we are playing a: "out athlete you squad"! Are they well coached - sure!
I think our coaching staff is comprised of the best coaches across the country as evidence by all the rumors every year about members of the CU staff.
Here is the kicker though: CU also has athletes! CU isn't Purdue or Rutgers that have to be thankful for a 3 star and a 2 star combining to hopefully develop into a 5 star! The Tigers have dudes too!

CU fans reading this - how do you feel about that match up? I feel very confident about that aspect of the game. I believe OSU has a 5 year higher composite rated class top to bottom - but that is by design. Many of the 5 star players on Florida, Georgia, Alabama or Ohio State never got so much as a letter of interest from CU. Not when the coaches felt they had a 3 star kid who was under-valued they could develop who also didn't have "other issues" to consider!

Of course, at one point our coaching staff was new and getting it together as well! We'll see.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Out Athlete vs. Out Coach/Execute/Prep

Dec 28, 2020, 8:11 AM

I'm of the thought process that once you get to this level, meaning top 5 or 6 teams playing each other, with the exception of a Chase Young, Travis Etienne, or Trevor Lawrence, talent is almost a wash. So, I tend to believe the coaching, and scheming is more important when everyone on the field is a 4-5 star. To answer the question, I am feeling pretty good about this weekend!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 28, 2020, 9:02 AM

After watching that FSU-Auburn game, I flipped channels to aTm-Bama. The score was 14-14 and Bama stopped aTm, then took the ball 75 yds in 7 plays to score. The TD was Harris running right to score - behind an Oline that just mauled and pushed the aTm Dline back.

I recalled seeing this year’s draft and that 2 of the top 10 recruits were 5* OLs signing with Bama. Sure, that’s not this year’s problem for our Tigers once they’ve beaten the bucknuts this Friday; but it is this year’s Bama OL that gives an above ave QB like Jones plenty of time to wait for studs like Smith, Waddle, Mechie - and Harris - to get open. And imagine Etienne running behind Bsma’s oline. As if Harris wasn’t effective.

And although Bama is an asst coaching carousel, as long as Saban’s hand is on the tiller, coaching isn’t a weakness and they ARE the team to beat. I will say Saban was absolutely flummoxed when Lawrence, Ross, Higgins and the Tigers went off on them two years ago.

Yeah, you can flame me for looking ahead - making this about Bama - but what I think, say or do has ZERO INPACT on how/what our Tigers do this week, or any week. I know beating the nuts is not a given, but I think we’ll do just that. And can probably do it without even playing as well as we did against ND. And I’m looking forward to that game.

Just like I’m looking forward to our Tigers facing Bama in Miami on the 11th.

GO TIGERS!!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

Dec 28, 2020, 10:29 AM

I like our chances of making in game adjustments better than osu. For the most part, less the psu game, all osu has had to do this year is out athlete each opponent. +1. for Clemson in that we had to do it twice with ND w comparable atheletes. We also had to develop a new scheme with BC. Along with getting 23 new starters on D.

They do have a first year co defense coordinator and I believe a corner coach. They've only had a half of year, no spring, limited fall camp. With the issues of limited drastically with starters being out a couple games... I'm hoping will create issues with timing et al.

Last year's osu team was well oiled and had the month as did we to scheme for the game. Last year's osu team was a quick starting team as opposed to this year's team which seems to have slow started. All of which I would think gives us the advantage.

I'm hoping we can swap up our tendancies better than they can. Perhaps we mix some 10 personnel and 12 personnel to get a quick start. Have Powell amari and Ladson/Williams mix enough to keep them off balance to get ETN involved. All the while keeping fields and olave? Sp. Bottled up the entire first half.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 28, 2020, 11:08 AM

gal,

Yeah, I think OSUs coaching staff (and their fans) rely too much on the idea that they have superior athletes. They think that they can just physically impose their will upon opponents - and in the BIG they are usually right. But when they run up against equal or better athletes, they struggle to adapt.

The Clemson coaches have superior athletes but they develop them for flexibility. They game-plan for their best match-ups and work to put their athletes in positions most likely to lead to success. This is why they adapt, in game, better too.

As far as a quick start in the 1st half, I am more concerned about the defense. It seems to me that our D scheme should be very similar to the 2nd ND game - stop the run and contain the QB from running. We may have shown our hand to OSU. Hopefully, BV is aware of this also and comes up with a few twists.

Go Tigers !! Friday cannot get here fast enough !

Dec 28, 2020, 12:13 PM [ in reply to Re: Out Athlete vs. Out Coach/Execute/Prep ]

In last year's game, OSU did a great job of preparing Fields and they most likely had scripted the first several drives for him. Fields executed it flawlessly against our base defense because he didn't have to make any decisions, he just had to execute the plan. About halfway through the 2nd quarter Brent Veneables threw Fields a curve ball and switched up to a Tampa 2 Defense. Now Fields had to start reading the defense and figuring out who the safety was on every play. That's when the play of Mr. Fields went to crap and he started slinging interceptions. I think this is a prefect example of excellent coaching overcoming talent. I can't wait to see what Coach Venables dials up for OSU for this game.

Replies: 5
| visibility 1,549
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic