Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Our "problems" at the wideout position have been noted by
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 2,499

Our "problems" at the wideout position have been noted by

Nov 2, 2020, 9:09 AM

many a poaster on the TNEts this year. However, there is a point to this that has not been raised. It seems to me that our playcalling has shifted away from the downfield passing game, and had done so, BEFORE our guys started not catching the ball so much. I would call this the "No Jeff Scott" effect. It is entirely possible that Jeff was the end of that "Co-Offensive Coordinator" tandem that was more willing to take the shots downfield. Or maybe not. It for sure is an actual difference, one way or the other.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Our "problems" at the wideout position have been noted by

Nov 2, 2020, 9:58 AM

Tony Elliott has always been the guy calling the plays since he and Scott took over as Co-OCs.

The major change is going from having Higgins and Ross on the outside to having Ladson and EJ Williams.

Neither of those guys has much experience and Ladson's issues with making all of his catches are well-documented.

That being said, teams are starting to give us the 5 yard catch and hoping we can't drive the length of the field instead of pressing us as much and taking the chance that we beat them long.

The defensive adjustment might be due to our WR, but I think it's also to have more DBs available to get ETN to the ground when he breaks the second level. We have seen a good many times this year that ETN passes the LBs but still has DBs in his way to slow him down and let somebody catch up from behind him while he is breaking the tackle of the DB.

That being said, we have hit a few balls, and dropped a few balls deep this year, but we are being more selective when we take those shots. I think that is partly play-calling and partly due to what Trevor has learned about getting 4-5 yards on early downs instead of trying to take low percentage chances on deep balls on early downs.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I’m pretty sure that Elliot called run plays and

Nov 2, 2020, 10:04 AM

Scott chose the passing plays

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They only did that the last year under Morris...

Nov 2, 2020, 12:28 PM

“On Sunday, Dec. 7th, just days after making the announcement that Scott and Elliott would be co-coordinators, Dabo announced that Tony Elliott would be calling plays. A few days later, in a joint press conference, Elliott discussed how he plans on calling the plays and managing the game. Scott went on to joke that he proposed they divide the play calling duties so that he could call first and second downs and Elliott could call third and fourth downs, but ends by saying that, "We figured this [Tony calling plays] was probably the best way." Tony Elliott was announced as the play caller almost immediately by Dabo. Tony and Jeff have both, consistently, confirmed that Elliott is the one calling the plays.”

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 2, 2020, 12:21 PM [ in reply to Re: Our "problems" at the wideout position have been noted by ]

It's very likely that ND will press us quite often and make the freshman hit the deep throws.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Elliott has always been the play caller...***

Nov 2, 2020, 12:24 PM

Nov 2, 2020, 12:27 PM

Elliott called the run plays Scott was the pass plays.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not true, they did that one year (Char Morris last year)***

Nov 2, 2020, 12:29 PM

Nov 2, 2020, 12:55 PM

76er I usually agree with you. But, this one isn't about Coach Scott not being there.
I recall Amaris big play. The sure fire TD Larson dropped. And some others this season.

To throw it deep your OL had better protect your QB. Look at our OL issues. JC hasn't been up to his usual high level. Plus, that is a lower percentage play. Better to take whatever else the defense is giving you. DJ and Trevor have three hundred plus yard games. I don't think the passing game deep shots and coach Scott being absent are connected.
Our inability to get in say 2nd and four yards or less also means you throw it more to keep the chains moving.

Look at the below.

Nov 2, 2020, 7:02 PM

Yards per play we are right there with the offenses people see "the highlights of"! But, watch the whole game and they have bad plays too. (not you 76er speaking in general. . . I know you do your research).

I think we good! Injuries and situations and 3rd and long and going to a higher percentage play/option plays into what you are saying.

See below.
https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/21

Replies: 9
| visibility 2,499
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic