Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Hoops Gurus Why is Homecourt Advantage
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1

Hoops Gurus Why is Homecourt Advantage

Feb 14, 2018, 9:59 AM

So much more impactful than homefield in football?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The fans are closer and the court is indoors making their

Feb 14, 2018, 10:24 AM

effect larger. Not to mention the fact that basketball is more spontaneous game of emotion than football, so the emotions of the players, and as a result their performances, are affected by the emotions of the fans.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yep. Same with hockey but not baseball.***

Feb 14, 2018, 4:01 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Physical Aspects of the Arena play into it as well.

Feb 14, 2018, 10:41 AM

The site lines behind the goal and depth perception of the stands behind the goal can really affect a shooters shots.

Two football fields are nearly identical from a players perspective but two basketball courts are greatly affected by the surroundings.

Other Physical Aspects could include

Feb 14, 2018, 1:53 PM

The actual court surface. Before the LJC Remodel Clemson's court was built on a different kind of platform(I used to Work at the Coliseum while a student) that made it more spring as opposed to having the wood just placed on a concrete surface.

Some others have mentioned things like loose or tight rims or height of the goals as a specific attempt to mess up a visiting team but I would wonder what the tolerances are for the appropriate settings on those since the goals are moved around for other events in the arenas as well.

Re: Hoops Gurus Why is Homecourt Advantage

Feb 14, 2018, 10:53 AM

Would you find it easier too make Breakfast in your own kitchen with Friends watching or at the Enemy’s house that does not like Bacon ?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 14, 2018, 11:40 AM

I prefer a neutral site, like Huddle House or Cracker Barrel.

I always shot much better at home. I'm sure it's not quite

Feb 14, 2018, 11:44 AM

as bad in college where things are more standardized and regulated, but in high school every school had a completely different setup. The courts are different, the rims are sometimes 1" higher or lower despite all supposedly being 10', some schools have stands behind the baskets, some have walls, some have auditorium stages, etc. Also i think the home team provides the basketball, and not all of those feel the same.

Crowd is certainly a big part of it, but you just get accustomed to everything at your home court and it's all different on the road.

The Home team knows where the admissions office is located*****

Feb 14, 2018, 12:58 PM

You would be amazed at what teams can do....

Feb 14, 2018, 1:19 PM

UNC under Dean Smith was accused of loosening and tightening rims after visiting team practice sessions to confuse the other teams shooters. Loose for outside shooting teams to give it a shooter's bounce, tight for lane teams to give it a true layup, then back to normal that their team had practiced with. John Wooden(besides somehow finding finding players with enough money to rent Ferraris and Mercedes) would have UCLA's practices in high heat and humidity settings, then have the thermostat adjusted up to make the other team wear out during games. The famed parquet floor in Boston had "dead spots" from being laid over the ice for hockey and the Celtics knew where they were, opponents weren't sure.

that's crock on Wooden

Feb 14, 2018, 1:25 PM

Not letting that slide, that he paid players. Pure waste and that's the nice word.

Yeah right!!!! Perhaps you should ask Bobby Knight....

Feb 14, 2018, 1:39 PM

or look up Sam Gilbert, the UCLA "bagman" basketball booster.

Wooden refused to see it

Feb 14, 2018, 2:30 PM [ in reply to that's crock on Wooden ]

supposedly didn't know about the money, gifts, etc...from Sam Gilbert

but those UCLA teams were as dirty as they get.

http://articles.latimes.com/2010/jun/08/sports/la-sp-0609-wooden-gilbert-20100609

http://www.espn.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/12227/the-other-part-of-the-wooden-legacy

UCLA was cheating like crazy while Wooden was there.

Feb 14, 2018, 3:57 PM [ in reply to that's crock on Wooden ]

Supposedly it was boosters doing the majority of it, but there's no way he didn't know what was going on.

Feb 14, 2018, 1:29 PM

Because basketball is much more mentally requiring then football. So, you get used to the court, the fans, the hoops, while in football it doesn’t really matter as much.

Feb 14, 2018, 1:58 PM

Does anyone have the stats that shows the winning percentage of home teams in college football vs. college basketball? If so, are there any stats that shows the winning percentage of each for conference games?

Refs are a factor...

Feb 14, 2018, 3:34 PM

They listen to the fans on some level....don't have the stats in front of me, but the home cooking that takes place in the ACC makes a big difference. And in basketball it is easier for refs to have an effect on the game.

Replies: 16
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic