Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Should teams leave open dates in early Dec. going forwards?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 2
| visibility 1,109

Should teams leave open dates in early Dec. going forwards?

Dec 3, 2020, 8:02 PM

BYU/Coastal is essentially a playoff game...and I really like it.

Especially with the Group of 5 or indies like BYU, sometimes you see teams catch lightning in a bottle and put together than special season...and then not get a chance to show how good they might be.

So maybe with the Group of 5, going forwards, should they maybe tweak their seasons a bit and play their conference championships at the end of November, leaving the first couple weeks in December open for games against other high-ranked Group of 5/independents, sort of pre-playoff games?

COVID hasn't had many silver linings, to put it mildly, but it has shown the ability to just pick games up at random this year might actually make for better football and a more interesting playoff race. BYU or Coastal, if they can pick up just a couple more quality wins, might be actually able to make a case to be included this year. Why not leave those dates open in the future so the Group of 5 teams having those special seasons have a path to play their way into playoff consideration?

If their seasons don't pan out, they can just schedule a couple more in-conference games to flush out their seasons.

But it would seem for the Group of 5/independents, locking themselves into a hard schedule that doesn't have a means to establish enough of a resume to achieve a high ranking might be locking themselves out of the playoffs. So why not switch it up a bit?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Only If You Are Close Enough!

Dec 3, 2020, 8:28 PM

Q. I get what you are getting at and I like the premise. The only problem I would see with it is: "Money"!
Would this extra game even be allowed assuming they had to play a conference championship game? Then you still would not be guaranteed a playoff spot. Especially because you will "still not have played one of the big boy conference's big boys and beat them to knock them out"!

The NCAA needs to stop tripping though Q and give the G5 their own National Champion!

North Dakota State Bison and all those championships aren't as impressive to me now! Same with some of those other schools who "annually play" for their class schools championship! In FBS it's different schools playing for it. Yeah, you have some regulars but they aren't basically guaranteed. North Dakota State in FCS should be a G5 school.
In terms of money spent to have a football program "it doesn't really cost less because you have SBC, MAC, AAC, MWC, etc on your jersey"! In other words Q, they are spending money too and like anybody would like the opportunity one would think to see some ROI.
In today's landscape though, "it's nearly impossible to get in"! Lots of unlikely scenarios would have to play out in addition to that team being flawless and dominant against their opponents. Ask UCF though if even that is enough.
Give them their own championship and reduce the pool of eligible teams! Now, all the folks clamoring for an expanded playoff can just stop.
The G5/I teams would all want to be ranked as high as possible in order to get in the top 4 and make the playoffs. You could keep bowl match ups and all just have a plus one!
FCS has a real playoff so does Division II and III. Having top 4 in FBS would be enough; plus keep the bowl games!
Think about it - you would not shy away from playing a good P5 team who might beat you because they will only make you better! If the game was a close loss; it could actually help your chances at the G5/I playoffs if you go on to win games at a high level.

Beyond that, in a regular year, school considerations would have to be considered! There is a couple of vaccines just about to be distributed. Not sure it would work because the ones mentioned plus some other ones like schools athletic budget and ability to accommodate such a game. Would they get that game plus a bowl game too? No guarantees of it getting them to the playoffs.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Should teams leave open dates in early Dec. going forwards?

Dec 5, 2020, 2:29 PM

quozzel said:

BYU/Coastal is essentially a playoff game...and I really like it.

Especially with the Group of 5 or indies like BYU, sometimes you see teams catch lightning in a bottle and put together than special season...and then not get a chance to show how good they might be.

So maybe with the Group of 5, going forwards, should they maybe tweak their seasons a bit and play their conference championships at the end of November, leaving the first couple weeks in December open for games against other high-ranked Group of 5/independents, sort of pre-playoff games?

COVID hasn't had many silver linings, to put it mildly, but it has shown the ability to just pick games up at random this year might actually make for better football and a more interesting playoff race. BYU or Coastal, if they can pick up just a couple more quality wins, might be actually able to make a case to be included this year. Why not leave those dates open in the future so the Group of 5 teams having those special seasons have a path to play their way into playoff consideration?

If their seasons don't pan out, they can just schedule a couple more in-conference games to flush out their seasons.

But it would seem for the Group of 5/independents, locking themselves into a hard schedule that doesn't have a means to establish enough of a resume to achieve a high ranking might be locking themselves out of the playoffs. So why not switch it up a bit?

\

I would DEFINITELY be for it. We NEED more excitement when it comes to the end of the year. I LOVE that Clemson consistently makes it to the CFP each year but I want to see more parody like March Madness and staying at 4 means we are going to see the same teams because most of the big-time recruits are going to want to play for a natty (again, love Clemson benefits from this but it would be good for ALL of CFB to see more than just the same 4-teams almost every year).

IDC if most years the #1 seed beats up on the #16 seed (or insert "I don't wanna see small school X be pummeled by big team Y). If BYU were to somehow work out a matchup with Cincinnati then IMO the winner DEFINITELY deserves heavy consideration for a playoff spot. I think the G5 should work toward some sort of schedule flexibility like this year as it would at least help build the resume of a G5 team to have a better shot at getting a CFP invitation.

Also, anyone else happy we have to wait YEARS to see some of our future matchups? (Possibly) Florida, LSU, Oklahoma, Georgia. Yeah, we get GA next year but other than the pick-up game, it wouldn't be until 2024 that we'd play them. At least with an expanded playoff, we could potentially play some teams that we wouldn't be able to schedule offhand or are out of our region.

A second thought, let's just make the conference championships playoff-style with the top 4 teams in November then allow a week off to fit in the playoffs in December and go back to finishing the Natty on Jan. 1st.
===============

Last note, to hop on the response above, I think it's a good idea as well for the G5 schools to have a playoff if basically none of the above could work out.

Would love to see it be similar to some of the soccer leagues where if you experience enough success you get boosted to the next level to take a bottom feeder's spot for a couple of years.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 2
| visibility 1,109
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic