Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
On bc’s Punt return td..
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 1

On bc’s Punt return td..

Nov 12, 2018, 9:51 AM

At the game it looked like the ball hit one of our guys before the returner picked it up. Isn’t the ball dead when the kicking team touches it, even incidentally? Was this another officiating screw up on par with the ridiculous missed touching by the bc guy on the muff?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: On bc’s Punt return td..

Nov 12, 2018, 9:55 AM

No its not considered dead, but that's where the ball would've been placed had the returner just let the ball go instead of fielding it. Just like Rodgers, can't just assume the play is over or rely on the ref. Our gunners messed that up, AJ just ran behind the returner and the other just stopped. You have to be aware until the whistle blows.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 12, 2018, 10:05 AM

No doubt our guys blew that coverage . Ok that makes sense about the rule

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 12, 2018, 9:57 AM

I'm unsure of that ruling as well but the announcers noticed the contact and didn't comment on the ruling, so Im going to assume the right call was made. I'm sure someone will clear this up for us.
I think it would be dead where we touched it if BC didnt attempt to return it. Pretty sure thats it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 12, 2018, 10:01 AM

The ball is live until it is "downed" by the return team or until the whistle blows. The return man can fair catch the ball as well to end the play. An incidental touch by the return team only establishes where the ball will be placed once it is blown dead unless it is touched by the return team before the whistle blows. If the return man had fumbled the ball it would have been live and Clemson could have recovered it despite the earlier touch.

Nov 12, 2018, 10:06 AM

Thanks.

I believe you’re mistaken.

Nov 12, 2018, 10:08 AM [ in reply to Re: On bc’s Punt return td.. ]

At least if the rule is similar to the NFL...if the kicking team touches it and then the returner touches next and fumbles it back to the kicking team, the ball will go to the receiving team because it was an illegal touch.

So basically the returner did the right thing since it was a free play for him. He couldn’t lose either way once we touched it.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I believe you’re mistaken.

Nov 12, 2018, 10:11 AM

You sir are correct!!! I was going to post this until I read yours. +1

Re: On bc’s Punt return td..***

Nov 12, 2018, 3:44 PM [ in reply to Re: On bc’s Punt return td.. ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 12, 2018, 3:46 PM [ in reply to Re: On bc’s Punt return td.. ]

I believe you have return team and kicking team reversed in a couple places.

there is no reason for the gunners to run past the fielder

Nov 12, 2018, 9:59 AM

UNLESS they know where the ball is and are trying to down it.

they had NO CLUE where the ball was .......

null

Re: there is no reason for the gunners to run past the fielder

Nov 12, 2018, 10:04 AM

To me, it looked like AJ knew exactly where the ball was, he just thought that due to it bouncing the returner would not try to catch it and was running back to down it closer to their goal line. The BC just made a great play that had high potential for risk/reward and it paid off for them.

It was a mental error and it happens, it’s not like the gunners are the only two responsible for making the tackle on the punt team.

That was a low (basically no risk) play for the BC

Nov 12, 2018, 10:12 AM

returner. Even if he fumbled, BC would have gotten the ball back because it was illegally touched by Clemson.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: That was a low (basically no risk) play for the BC

Nov 12, 2018, 10:17 AM

Oh yea youre right good point. So it was a no risk chance at a big play for the BC returner.

I agree the BC kid made a great play - and you're right

Nov 12, 2018, 11:26 AM

about your comments

I just basically want to see better spell teams play.

luckily this happened at BC under control of the game.

I just want us to have a great spell teams play in the CFP. Yes I EXPECT US TO BE IN THE CFP !!

null

regardless of this particular play

Nov 12, 2018, 10:42 AM [ in reply to Re: there is no reason for the gunners to run past the fielder ]

The mighty Tigers punted six times in this game for a 25.66 average. That ain’t close to being good by anyone’s standard! Fix this now before it really bites us in the butt!

^^^^^^. this

Nov 12, 2018, 11:27 AM

we are not getting it done on spcl teams

null

The returner had no degree of risk

Nov 12, 2018, 12:02 PM [ in reply to Re: there is no reason for the gunners to run past the fielder ]

only reward.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Nov 12, 2018, 10:20 AM

Our cover team outran the punt due to the time it took to kick the ball.

Replies: 18
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic