Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
On This Date: 1986 Clemson- 27 Georgia Tech- 3
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 2
| visibility 1,141

On This Date: 1986 Clemson- 27 Georgia Tech- 3

Sep 27, 2019, 10:40 AM

September 27, 1986
Atlanta, GA

Johnson scores twice as Clemson rolls past Georgia Tech

ATLANTA — Terrance Roulhac’s 81-yard return with the opening kickoff set the mood for Clemson Saturday in its 27-3 Atlantic Coast Conference victory over Georgia Tech. “I thought our kicking game got us off on the right foot with that long kickoff return that got us in good field position right away,” said Clemson Coach Danny Ford.

Roulhac set up Clemson’s first touchdown only 2:17 into the game and added another kickoff return of 39 yards in setting up a second-quarter field goal in the Tigers’ triumph that ended an eight-game Tech unbeaten streak. "All in all, it was a good win for us,” said Ford. “Georgia Tech has a quality program, quality players and quality coaches and I look for them to be right in the thick of the battle the rest of the way.” It was Clemson’s ACC opener. Tech is now 1-1 in the conference. "We got beat every way one team can beat another,” said Yellow Jackets’ Coach Bill Curry. “In the kicking game, where we hope to excel, we broke down.”

Clemson fullback Tracy Johnson had a pair of 1-yard touchdown runs in the first period for the Tigers, 2-1. David Treadwell added a 24-yard field goal 22 seconds before halftime fora 17-3 margin. Treadwell had a 29-yard field goal in the third period and Chris Lancaster scored on a 10-yard TD run in the final period for the only scoring of the second half. Tech, 1-1-1, which had run off a 6-0-2 record since a 17-14 loss to Auburn on Oct. 19,1985, managed a 27-yard field goal by David Bell in the second period for its points before intermission.

Clemson, which had beaten Georgia 31-28 last week, took charge immediately as Roulhac took the opening kick and sprinted 81 yards down the right sideline to the Tech 19-yard line. Five plays later Johnson went over from the 1. Johnson scored again with 2:11 left in the opening period on another 1-yard dive after Clemson drove 62 yards in 13 plays behind the passing of quarterback Rodney Williams, who connected on 2 of 2 passes for 30 yards and ran for anther nine. Roulhac’s 39-yard kickoff return, following Bell’s field goal set up Treadwell’s three-pointer just before halftime. Tech had scored an apparent touchdown on the play prior to Bell’s field goal, but officials ruled an illegible receiver was down field when Darrell Cast connected on a 5-yard scoring pass to Robert Massey on a fake field goal attempt.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

I was at this game with a some friends.I remembered how hot

Sep 27, 2019, 12:41 PM

it was for the game. I believe the temps on the field hovered around 100 degrees. I can't believe this was 33 years ago.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This reminds me of another date/game where we held GT to a

Sep 27, 2019, 1:50 PM

field goal....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

Replies: 2
| visibility 1,141
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic