Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
On This Date: 1986 (25)Clemson- 28 Wake Forest- 20
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 1
| visibility 1

On This Date: 1986 (25)Clemson- 28 Wake Forest- 20

Nov 1, 2020, 11:55 AM

Flagler keys Tigers over Wake Forest

M MINEHART/AP Writer
WISTON-SALEM — Clemson tailback Kenny Flowers may have been mentioned as a Heisman Trophy candidate, but Wake Forest coach Al Groh knows all too well that Tiger tailback Terrence Flagler was the one behind the Demon Deacons' 28 20 loss to Clemson.

If Flowers is a candidate for the Heisman trophy, then Flagler is a candidate for Mr. Universe,” Groh said after Flagler rushed for 209 yards and two touchdowns and caught passes for two more Saturday in an Atlantic Coast Conference college football game. Flagler had scoring runs of 88 and 50 yards in tile first half. He caught touchdown passes of 39 yards and 21 yards from Rodney Williams in the second half as the Tigers improved to 6-2. 4-1 in tile ACC.

The Demon Deacons fell to 4-4 and 1-4 despite two touchdowns by halfback Darryl McGill. * “We feel fortunate to w in the ball game.” said Clemson Coach Danny Ford. "We made way. way too many mistakes, like jumping offsides, fielding punts inside the 1O, missing snaps from center, not having but 10 people on the field." Still, we feel a heck of a lot better than last week," Ford said after coming in from a rainy Groves Stadium field. "We looked very inconsistent and that put the defense in a stress, especially in the first half. I think we'll all get a wet ball and work with it next week.”

Ford noted that Flagler set a Clemson single-game all-purpose rushing record with 274 yards — in rushing and 64 in receiving. I "We made some very big plays during the game and Flagler made most of them, although Rodney Williams improved on his passing and we had some interceptions that came at an in-opportune time,” he said. Flagler’s first score came 2:16 into the 1Q and his 50-yard touchdown run with 1:57 left in the half made it 14-13 less than four minutes into the second half. Wake Forest countered with McGill’s 12-yard touchdown run off right tackle to make it 20-14.

But Clemson made it 21-20 less than a minute later when Williams passed to Flagler for the 39-yard touchdown. Flagler scored a 21-yard touchdown with 1:03 left in the third quarter on another pass from Williams for the final margin. Clemson’s James Lott intercepted a Mike Elkins pass to tight end Greg Scales on the Wake Forest 28. but the scoring drive ended 13 plays later when David Treadwell's 42-yard field goal attempt failed.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

note- CU may have been NR this week - i see 1 reference to

Nov 1, 2020, 11:59 AM

Clemson being #25 after the loss as #16 to (#20)NC State the week before, but no other recap of the Wake game mentions anything about Clemson being ranked this week, so i'm not sure

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

Replies: 1
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic