Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Why do we keep saying "Best team in the country"?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 1,098

Why do we keep saying "Best team in the country"?

Nov 4, 2015, 8:20 AM

The committee has brought about a disturbing trend for College football. People talk about the "old school way of doing things" where it was very difficult for teams to drop in the polls without losing, but personally I don't like the idea of "best team in the country". We should be trying to select "the four most deserving teams".

Bama, Ohio St., USC, Texas, etc. will almost always have the most talented teams in the country and that plays a lot into the "best teams". If your coaching, motivation, or injuries limit your ability to use that talent on week to week basis you are not deserving of a shot at the national championship. Every power 5 team starts with a chance at the national championship, teams like Iowa should not be penalized for playing above their talent level because they are not perceived to be one of the best teams.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

deserving? so like Baylor or TCU "deserve" to get it because

Nov 4, 2015, 8:22 AM

of getting left out last year, even if they aren't one of the 4 "best" this year?

Best is the Standard

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Re: deserving? so like Baylor or TCU "deserve" to get it because

Nov 4, 2015, 8:32 AM

No I didn't say last year mattered at all, but with 120+ teams playing a 12 game schedule you will never determine the best team until you have a win to get in playoff. What I am saying is a team like Bama does not deserve to be ranked simply because they are precieved to be better than other teams. They have done nothing more than ND,Baylor,TCU,Iowa,etc. to prove that they should be in the top 4. We keep giving the nod to perception and it seems to only get worse.

null

I don't believe the top 4 should be ranked.

Nov 4, 2015, 8:29 AM

You're either in or not. Ranking has no bearing until dec. 6th anyways.

Re: I don't believe the top 4 should be ranked.

Nov 4, 2015, 8:33 AM

That doesn't work unless you have to be a conference champion to get in.

null

Deserve is a terrible word, often misused for entitlement

Nov 4, 2015, 8:30 AM

We deserve this because... we tried harder, we wanted to win more, but our schedule was filled with crappy teams, but we still deserve it... you need to add more teams to the playoffs.

Team X doesn't "deserve a chance" at a national title.

Clemson earned this ranking through hard work. Clemson has to win every game, to retain it's spot in the top 4.

Iowa, will have it's chance to play into the Big Ten championship and earn a spot in the top 4.

Baylor, TCU, Oklahoma St, Oklahoma will play each other in the next few weeks and each has a chance to earn a spot in the top 4.

LSU, Bama, each team still has their chance to earn their spot.

Re: Deserve is a terrible word, often misused for entitlement

Nov 4, 2015, 8:35 AM

Yeah I didn't love the word "deserve" either but it is only negative because people use it to cry about why someone wronged them. Truly deserving is still something that is earned. Your other statements are true except LSU and Bama don't have to work as hard to earn their spot. Bama has already shown they can take a week off and still get a spot.

null

Ole Miss still in the driver seat

Nov 4, 2015, 8:43 AM

I will be very interested if the following scenario plays out...

I know, it's not the most likely outcome, but

Bama beats LSU
Ole Miss wins out and plays for SEC Championship vs 2 loss Florida team (Ole Miss/FSU)

Does CFP committee really take an SEC team that doesn't even play in the Championship game?

Stanford beats ND and Utah in the Pac-12 championship

I think the final for are

Clemson (assuming no losses)
Big Ten Champion
Big 12 team with no losses
Pac 12 Champion (or ND if ND beats Stanford)

The message last year was loud and clear, Baylor and TCU suffered due to lack of Big 12 Championship game.

I agree......but isn't that the premise of having LSU and

Nov 4, 2015, 8:55 AM

Bama in the top four last night? They both can not win the west. The committee must be thinking that Bama wins out and LSU's only loss keeps them out of the SECCG.....making it the "best loss" out there. Or do they not think ahead? I has the confuse!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson Football, the glory days are here!

Re: I agree......but isn't that the premise of having LSU and

Nov 4, 2015, 10:07 AM

The committee isn't suppose to think ahead. They are selecting 4 teams right now. That is why Bama is even worse at 4. Their best win is to a team with 2 losses and have a loss.

null

Replies: 9
| visibility 1,098
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic