Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I haven’t read every post on this board; but if you haven’t read the Imperial College Report,
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1

I haven’t read every post on this board; but if you haven’t read the Imperial College Report,

Mar 18, 2020, 12:32 AM

do so now. Many people still aren’t taking this seriously enough. If the world does nothing, 90 MILLION people globally could die. We have a chance to take action, so just please do your part. There’s a reason the majority of world leaders are taking swift action.

In a couple of weeks we will be able to reassess the math and see if the suppression tactics worked. If they don’t, then we’re all in for an economic disaster of which none of us have ever seen in our lifetimes. Please stay safe out there.

https://mobile.twitter.com/jeremycyoung/status/1239975682643357696

I urge you to read all of his replies in the linked thread, and then the Imperial College report linked in the main Twitter post.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I haven’t read every post on this board; but if you haven’t read the Imperial College Report,

Mar 18, 2020, 12:37 AM

90 million? Ha. More like 90 BILLION, Jack!!!! - virtual Joe Biden.

This virus is bad news and may be the end of all mankind.

I’ve read the report. It’s interesting to see how many assumptions they had to make. Then put those into an exponential model, turn the crank, and voila! Hard Data.

Terrifying.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

That study asumes exponential growth continues

Mar 18, 2020, 2:17 AM

Indefinitely and doesn’t take into account a myriad of other factors. Plus the numbers in China, SK, even Iran and Italy are nowhere near close to following the exponential growth path.

Covid-19 is not the first modern disease to have exponential growth like numbers in its early days, but they do not continue for long. I remember seeing such assumptions in the early days in January in Wuhan and it had tens of millions infected projected by February.

If this study was used to force/scare into action then that’s great cause action will help. But the numbers behind it are nothing more than theoretical.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You are going to read every post on the board? Well, good luck, you can do it!?***

Mar 18, 2020, 12:57 AM

just imagine the TP shortage when Yellowstone erupts

Mar 18, 2020, 1:35 AM

ain't no virus worse than burning ash coming at you from 2000 miles away.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I haven’t read every post on this board; but if you haven’t read the Imperial College Report,

Mar 18, 2020, 2:24 AM

I didn't read the article, but 90 million would represent about 1.2% of the global population. I very seriously doubt that happens.

However, one thing that does concern me is if coronavirus breaks loose on a wide scale in India, watch out! It could make Italy look like a walk in the park except there are 1.4 billion people in India and only 60 million in Italy. The infrastructure and sanitation there is trash in many highly/densely populated areas. Social distancing would be a pipe dream.

Remember this post.

Summary here

Mar 18, 2020, 3:00 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He needs to just stop

Mar 18, 2020, 3:33 AM

The kicker is here is he says "if we do nothing", then he spews a bunch of hypothetical garbage because the medical community is not "doing nothing".

The same argument could be said that if all Americans start driving and never touch the brakes, millions of accidents with hundreds of thousands of deaths will occur. No ####! This guy is a doomsdayer and should be treated as such. He's just as bad as the other side saying "it's just a cold, get over it"

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I’m trying to wake those people up who say that it’s just a cold.

Mar 18, 2020, 7:37 AM

It’s maddening. I have immuno-compromised family/friends (they aren’t all “old people”). I live in a big city, and I’m seeing people not take this seriously. I see the news. And I’m seeing people not take this seriously.

Who the hell says your life is more valuable than someone else’s? It’s selfish as all hell, so just do your part. Literally ONE person caused the majority of outbreaks in a country (see “Patient 31”). If one of you bozos who just can’t not go to the bar, or who can’t stop their teenager from going to Spring Break with a thousand other kids in the beach, ends up indirectly killing my mom or my best friend, I hope you find out and live with the guilt for the rest of your miserable life.

And if this hospital system gets overrun in my city, and my non-immuno-compromised wife somehow needs emergency surgery (that typically isn’t life threatening), and she can’t get the necessary medical help because of this virus; God help you.

P.S. I recognize my usage of pronouns, but I hope you understand that ’m not necessarily talking about you. It was simply easier to get my point across.

thanks, but you're not qualified. Just another yahoo

Mar 18, 2020, 7:50 AM

spreading crap info.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

Spreading “crap” info?

Mar 18, 2020, 7:55 AM

I literally posted a report that nearly every world leader has used to make their decisions. Do you actually think these leaders would willingly completely shut down their economies, knowing it could create unprecedented economic turmoil, unless they believed the individuals writing the report were qualified? Just because you don’t care if people die, it’s their responsibility to care.

It’s ignorant people like you who choose to be in denial.

^^^sheep^^^***

Mar 18, 2020, 8:14 AM

you took the worst part of the report, out of context and sensationalized it and posted it here. Crap info. Buzzfeed does a better job (not much better).

Crap info.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

^^^egoist^^^******

Mar 18, 2020, 8:18 AM

Re: Spreading “crap” info?

Mar 18, 2020, 8:24 AM [ in reply to Spreading “crap” info? ]

So, until the last person dies or gets well that has the virus, we need to stay locked up. It is always going to be making the rounds because it is here. There is no way to kill it off at this point. You either don’t get it, you get it and recover, or you get it and die. There are no other options. You might slow it down, and kill the economy doing it, or you continue as usual using safety precautions. Your freedom is gone because they said so.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It’s obvious nobody here actually took the time to read the report.

Mar 18, 2020, 8:30 AM

The point of slowing it down is to help the healthcare system. There are many people who can/may/will get this that will have bad symptoms, but with appropriate medical help can recover. If there isn’t space for that individual in the hospital due to the system being overloaded, then they may die. These are the people the governments are really trying to save. Many, many people will get this virus before a vaccine is approved. We just need to slow the virus down enough until then, not stop it.

read my response above

Mar 18, 2020, 10:44 AM [ in reply to Summary here ]

He’s making a TON of assumptions. Something that scientists usually don’t do

The thang is, in 6 - 8 weeks we will know for sure.......***

Mar 18, 2020, 3:52 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If you think nothing is being done and people aren't wary

Mar 18, 2020, 8:27 AM

and taking action, then you simply have an agenda. Spreading fear and hyperbole serves absolutely NO purpose except to cause people to panic buy toilet paper and deprive others of basic needs.

One thing this pandemic HAS done is expose the true character, or the lack thereof, of many individuals. In this case, it exposes the arrogance to make assumptions and think you're the smartest person in the room, whichever room you happen to be in.

And before you come back with some sort of halfass retort, I've been in healthcare for 36 years so don't think for one second I don't have my finger firmly on the pulse of all of this.

Practice excellent hygiene, stay out of large groups of people or in close proximity in small groups, stay calm, assist those in need, and we'll get through this. In the meantime, knock off the soapbox CNN 'guest contributor' nonsense.

Gyms are packed where I am. Have you seen the beaches in Florida?

Mar 18, 2020, 8:35 AM

I didn’t say nothing is being done. I’m saying more people have to give a ####.

Speaking about making assumptions, you made a lot about me. Not sure who is on the soapbox at this point. I never once made this political; yet here we are again on TigerNet with politics coming up.

I’m done here. Hopefully I saved a life or two today for people actually willing to listen. Peace and talk to you all whenever Clemson football is back.

Ok, so there's a lot of stupid people in Florida. I already

Mar 18, 2020, 8:39 AM

knew that. You being done here, on this particular subject, was the goal of my post in the first place, so we're good.

Mar 18, 2020, 9:14 AM

Jeremy C. Young is an assistant professor of history at Dixie State University.

Nuff said.

Replies: 20
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic