Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Why is Calhoun worse than TG Clemson and Ben Tillman?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 1

Why is Calhoun worse than TG Clemson and Ben Tillman?

Jun 9, 2020, 9:15 AM

I know Tillman did not have slaves, but the guy was a bad dude.

TG Clemson had slaves, married Calhoun's daughter, and fought for the confederacy as old man because he cared so much.

So why are we picking out Calhoun? Why is he worse than TG Clemson? And why are we giving Ben Tillman a pass? He might be the worst one of them all.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Why is Calhoun worse than TG Clemson and Ben Tillman?

Jun 9, 2020, 9:22 AM

Good point. What should we rename Clemson to? No really if you had to change the University name what would you change it to? The day may come.

Who is giving Ben Tillman a pass?

Jun 9, 2020, 9:25 AM

And why do we want to bring Thomas Green Clemson into this?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Seems like the petition from DW4 and Nuk is directed

Jun 9, 2020, 9:34 AM

at renaming the Calhoun Honors College. I have no problem renaming it.

I'm just curious why you would choose to start there and ignore TG Clemson.

I know Ben Tillman did not own slaves, but he was certainly not a good person.

Tillman is certainly in the discussion, if not the petition

Jun 9, 2020, 9:55 AM

And I for one hope that TGC remains left out of both

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 9, 2020, 9:29 AM

There is no university in the South that does not history with slavery because the South, and in truth the entire nation, would not have existed without slavery. Slavery is in any form is 100% wrong but an economy based on agriculture requires workers and sadly those workers were slaves. Ride by any large farm today and in the fields you will see migrants because the basic manpower requirement has not changed. History is history.

Jun 9, 2020, 9:40 AM

Calhoun was largely responsible for our secession. He was a fierce proponent of slavery, not just a regular farmer with a few slaves. Worse than Tillman? I don’t think so.

I think the reason they are going after the Honors College is that the school can change the name whenever it wants to. The Tillman name on Old Main has to be removed by the state legislature. The Clemson name is tied to the donation of the land to the state, IIRC. It’s an easier fix to remove Calhoun’s name...

Good stuff.***

Jun 9, 2020, 9:42 AM

Jun 9, 2020, 9:57 AM [ in reply to Re: Why is Calhoun worse than TG Clemson and Ben Tillman? ]

Agree it is easier to remove Calhoun Honors designation and is probably a good faith move. No man or woman is/was perfect. And, Calhoun, Clemson and Tillman obviously did good things or else you would have go say college(Clemson) has been bad and all graduates are bad and nothing good has come from those educated at the university or who attended the university -otherwise why rename everything because of some bad things and ignore much more good. What do you say Deshaun and Nuk and others - are you better off because of Clemson and doing good things because of the good Clemson?

Oh hush . . .

Jun 9, 2020, 9:50 AM

This is a one way endeavor, this revamping of history. Ya think they want us to disavow every bad black person? Go look up Nelson Mandela's terrorist involvement, for example. And look up the goals of BLM and tell me they aren't every bit as racist if not more than our white forefathers. This isn't about fairness and equality, it's about anti-white multiculturalism. I know that sounds like a radical oversimplification to some, but without doubt, it is not.

The utilization of the slave trade for free labor 9and the various attendant physical abuses of them), and then later the social, political, and economic oppression of blacks in the U.S. were very deeply and profoundly wicked, shameful, self-serving, and unrighteous things. But the progressive movement knows of no such thing as actual, meaningful repentance among individuals nor a proper dealing with collective guilt of peoples. As such it knows nothing of repentance and proper assignment of guilt. All it knows is sloppy and false assignment of "guilt" based on race, rather than actual deeds, and ceaseless strife and acrimony between the groups assigned the role of the aggrieved and the guilty, respectively. Meaningful real reconciliation and peace is precluded.

Re: Oh hush . . .

Jun 9, 2020, 9:53 AM

You folks have your cranium so for up your cloaca you will never see sunlight again.

Re: Oh hush . . .

Jun 9, 2020, 11:29 AM [ in reply to Oh hush . . . ]

Think this will split the Clemson family for good.

Jun 9, 2020, 11:27 AM

It is interesting that these names that so many want removed are of prominent Democrats. The Confederacy itself was created by Democrats in response to a Republican dead set on freeing slaves. Losing the civil war, they still lost their slave labor but created the hate group KKK.

Unfortunately, the racism did not end there with this political party. Woodrow Wilson was a horrible racist, yet no one is asking to remove his name from anything, at least that I've heard. That SOB is even lying in rest in our national cathedral in DC!

I can totally understand why the party has funded all these fringe groups to try to hide their past, but history is still history.

Replies: 12
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic