Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The FSU beatdown has caused me to lose all interest in CU FB
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 33
| visibility 1

The FSU beatdown has caused me to lose all interest in CU FB

Oct 30, 2013, 10:02 AM

I know this is big pill coming from an ardent Tiger Fan for 56 years.. with my love for Clemson & Clemson Football beginning in high school, then attending Tigertown twice & graduating once, living in old Quad & Tin Cans before some Navy stuff took me away for a few years and coming back married and living in Pre-fabs located near baseball field (having a paper route in all the pre-fab sections), writing sports for The Tiger Student newspaper..

graduating, joining IPTAY, buying 4 season tix in DV and attending virtually all home & away games for 25 years, carrying the first 3' x 5' cotton PAW flag on pole to all games home & away from 1977-92 (being dubbed The Flagman by Bob Bradley & others)..including Notre Dame, UGa and 10 bowl games (including '81 NC)..and then having the opportunity & joy of sending Son to Clemson who graduated, etc..

BUT, at 72 I seem to have less ability, desire and/or personal NEED to put all my emotional marbles in a favorite college sport team that takes me on such roller coaster rides of emotion & hope for success on the gridiron for dear ole Clemson College.

With this said..by Saturday I will be geared up for The Tiger Team to play winning ball against UVa (one of my most favorite places & areas to visit since near Thomas Jefferson's home, as well as DC, Baltimore, Annapolis & then George Washington's home on the way back to SC).

GoTiGERs..enjoy some delicious White Meat at Charlottesville (as Coach Howard would say)!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oh man, you're going to get hammered for that one

Oct 30, 2013, 10:05 AM

release the Kraken....

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

go on

Oct 30, 2013, 10:06 AM

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What took you so long Franc?! ***

Oct 30, 2013, 10:07 AM

GoTiGERs!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

yep....get older and whether they win or lose doesn't quite

Oct 30, 2013, 10:09 AM

mean the same thing as when you were older.....doesn't mean you're not a fan...just not the same as at one point....now continue what you were saying Bill....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The FSU beatdown has caused me to lose all interest in CU FB***

Lighten up Francis***

Re: The FSU beatdown has caused me to lose all interest in CU FB

Oct 30, 2013, 10:11 AM

I learned in teaching people learn in different ways depending on our age. I think as fans we take things differently. As disappointed as I was I compartmentalize and move on much better than I did as a younger person.

FSU loss was tough to see especially the way we did it. it is behind us now and we need to focus on the games left to play. We still can make this a very nice season by taking care of business.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sounds like you haven't lost ALL interest.***

Oct 30, 2013, 10:11 AM

All.

Oct 30, 2013, 10:23 AM

Except for, well, you know, some.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Oct 30, 2013, 10:18 AM

Hello friends.
i like many game and i can also play many games but my favorite game are swimming.
i really like this game what is your best/favorite game?

I'm confused.

Oct 30, 2013, 10:19 AM

Because you're confused.

Bill, it's too early for drinking but I've seen better examples of your ability to compose easy to understand expositions.

Did you mean you expected to win the MNC this year and the one loss makes you feel defeated and forlorn?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Anyone who puts all their emotion marbles into sports

Oct 30, 2013, 10:21 AM

requires serious help. Not saying it's not important, but on the important scale it's pretty low as it should be.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

are those like mood rings?***

Oct 30, 2013, 10:22 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 30, 2013, 10:27 AM

wow, how's bragging camp going?

Oct 30, 2013, 10:57 AM

I felt the same way you did for several days. Sunday, Monday and Tuesday after FSU were really bad days for me, but then I started to come back around some. I am eight years younger than you, so like you, sports doesn't have the importance to me that it once had.

I still was not back around enough to where I wanted to watch the Maryland game, but I did check in on the radio for the score from time to time. Being a Tiger and a Braves fan has led me to my share of heartbreak over the years.

I hope that I can learn how to not invest so much of myself [emotionally] into my favorite sports teams. Then when they lose in the postseason [Braves], or get curb stomped in a big game [Tigers against WVU, FSU, coots, etc.], maybe it won't hurt so bad. Losing to FSU wasn't what hurt, but just getting duh-rilled from the get go did.

A 64 year old saying "duh-rilled" makes me smile. I love you

Oct 30, 2013, 12:07 PM

guys and this place ... except when it is overrun by crap.

And I'm still seriously down in the dumps about the semihole game

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Solution:

Oct 30, 2013, 10:45 AM

Wait til the day after national championship game, run to Walmart and load up on fan gear of winning team, be a solid die-hard fan of said team for 364 days, repeat process the following year.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree with you that there seems to be an increasing

Oct 30, 2013, 10:48 AM

willingness, even desire, to transfer one's sense of worth to his athletic team. Back in the day the emotion on game day was just as strong, but the sense of pride or defeat after a win or loss just wasn't as large. After all, it was Steve Fuller's business what did or didn't do, not ours, as much as we loved pulling for him.

Today I have friends who are SC fans who say things to me that years ago would not have been thinkable, things that put a freindship at risk, over what 19 years olds do who neither know nor care who we are or what we think about it.

A younger friend was once a high school coach at the same school where Jeff Scott coached and won a state championshihp. You can imagine the sense of affection he has for Clemson, the staff, and program. He genuinely says that the atmosphere at Clemson is different, and he encouraged one of his players, Marquan Jones, to go there. However, he is equally respectful of what other schools do, including "that one". He knows all the coaches from all these schools on a first name basis, some he likes and some he doesn't, which is equally true of all the schools. Its a business, plain and simple, good people, and not so good people, trying to make a living.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 30, 2013, 11:01 AM

I feel like im the 21 year old version of you, lightbulbbill.

We have a lot of similarities lol

Good. Maybe you'll stop with the stupid posts***

Oct 30, 2013, 11:03 AM

Hey "Squishy Waffle"..how can I UNFOLLOW YOU?! Geez.

Oct 30, 2013, 12:00 PM

GoTiGERS!

Oct 30, 2013, 11:36 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If the biggest problem in you life is what CU FB does...

Oct 30, 2013, 12:35 PM

...you have a pretty great life, so enjoy it!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This just proves the better you are the more it hurts?

Oct 30, 2013, 8:11 PM

I went down for the weekend with the Miami flu after at least three games in the 90's. I've was happy as lark during the lost decade and now, if we lose this weekend, it will kill me.

There are folks afraid to have a family, afraid to own a dog, etc. Don't be one of them. The pain and the joy are a single package.

Stop making it hard for me to hate FSU so much. I think I

Oct 30, 2013, 8:12 PM

will just hate FSU and consider you an exception. ;)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

Well, Bill, at 66 I suppose I should be adopting a less

Oct 30, 2013, 9:06 PM

strident attitude about sports, but the flames of youth still persist to this day!

I don't just have a distaste for losing...I despise it with a passion! Much as I despise those who adopt a "loser" mentality, whether it be over sports or life in general.

There is, however, one small mitigating factor: I was called out of retirement a year ago to oversee the rebuilding of a business; so early Monday following the FSU loss, I was hard charging again into the fray of business...and that took priority in about two seconds over that game. lol

As for now, I really don't care to have any major adjustment to my passion for Clemson football nor will I allow a loss or two or three to change my way of thinking.

I'd be willing to bet YOUR passion for Clemson won't REALLY change a bit either!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This here says ...

Oct 30, 2013, 9:16 PM

"With this said..by Saturday I will be geared up for The Tiger Team to play winning ball against UVa (one of my most favorite places & areas to visit since near Thomas Jefferson's home, as well as DC, Baltimore, Annapolis & then George Washington's home on the way back to SC)."

You haven't lost ALL interest.(Drama aside)

Oh Boy, brace yourself

Oct 30, 2013, 9:37 PM

I made the point that the players should stay off the hype/rant wagon during the season and that beating scar would make everyone happy. Was crucified! Everyone wants to rant about who is the biggest and baddest fan. Who cares? No national chp this year so let's lick our wounds and win out.

Then just oh away!!!

Oct 30, 2013, 9:40 PM

No need for a break up letter. We know it's you, not us. Go Tigers!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Then just oh away!!!

Oct 30, 2013, 10:08 PM

TU, 83 for the Costanza stance.

LBB, hang in there, old boy. Since I see you're on HHI, go out to Bloody Pt. and catch some big red drum. I've found that drinking a 12 pack of Budweiser and catching big fish until your arms are sore is a panacea for all ills.

I haven't lost interest

Oct 30, 2013, 10:52 PM

But I have been overly nervous about the coots game since. I hope the players are, too, and respond.

Oct 30, 2013, 11:15 PM

I understand where you are coming from Bill. Many of us remember the Ford days when every year was a chance to win another NC, and then Hatfield waltzed in and destroyed the program. 20 years later and the Tigers are finally back to being what they always should be.

The FSU game hurt more than usual because of how the year had been going. As a fan I couldn't help but circle 4 games on the schedule; uga, fsu, gatech, and usc. Out of the four it was the uga game that had me worried the most. Then came fsu, and the absolute collapse of our team. It wasn't that we lost (my two favorite games that I was able to attend were unfortunately losses, but simply amazing games with true Death Valley crowds), but how we lost that game that just hurt.

There are games to be played, and hopefully a BCS bid to earn. It just took a lot out of us all with the way the fsu game went. In the end it was just a game, and there are always more to follow.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I haven't lost interest....

Oct 31, 2013, 12:13 AM

I guess I was just most frustrated with how we lost and just gave up. I don't care if it's 45-0 if they're out there and playing their a$$ off you can tell, and they weren't. The silly plays in the secondary and just allowing receivers to run 15 yard routes and be two steps too late every time just kills me to watch. I'd rather watch a team like FSU make amazing catches, which they did, and get hit immediately, than give up these soft 13 yard pass plays. But hey I'm just a guy drinking a beer, what do I know. It won't deter me from wearing my orange, flying my flags, and dreaming we can still make it all the way, just don't touch that #### rock unless it's 110% the entire game.

Replies: 33
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic