Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I did NOT have a problem with long FG attempt
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 51
| visibility 1

I did NOT have a problem with long FG attempt

Oct 11, 2020, 6:37 AM

I do have a problem with our line attempting to block for Potter. WE had THREE FG attempts blocked last night.
Several years ago Spencer Benton kicked at 61 yarder (or something like that) right before half. BT has been on fire lately. You see him do it in practice everyday and you have the confidence in him to give it a try.
Fix the blocking and let Potter kick. We just may need a long FG some time this year somewhere down the road.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I did NOT have a problem with long FG attempt

Oct 11, 2020, 6:43 AM

Neither did I. I like to see Dabo test the kickers limits.

The good news is that at least the coaches got to see

Oct 12, 2020, 1:01 PM

The problem, that needs to be fixednow instead of later.

Oct 11, 2020, 6:43 AM

Neither did I. I like to see Dabo test the kickers limits.

The height of the kick was shoulder high

Oct 12, 2020, 12:35 PM

When it did not clear the line ...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 11, 2020, 7:02 AM

I did. I think we just needed to punt, let the clock run out, and go into the locker room. But hey I'm not the coach.

Punting wasn’t an option. Either kick or Hail Mary.***

Oct 11, 2020, 8:25 AM

EXACTLY. Gotta love the guys who say they thought it

Oct 11, 2020, 9:19 PM

was a bad (in hindsight) but then say their coaching decision would have been to punt with 3 seconds left. Lol.

Oct 11, 2020, 8:29 AM [ in reply to Re: I did NOT have a problem with long FG attempt ]

leftie said:

I did. I think we just needed to punt, let the clock run out, and go into the locker room. But hey I'm not the coach.

So, you would have PUNTED with 3 seconds to go in the half. Sure am glad your arm chair isn’t coaching our team. So, you would have punted instead of a FG attempt? Or a Hail Mary? Or run any play, any play and hope we break one or something else like get a penalty for 1 more play). I see- punting was the best option. SMH

Punt with 3 seconds??

Oct 11, 2020, 9:20 PM [ in reply to Re: I did NOT have a problem with long FG attempt ]

Brilliant!

Amen. I didn’t think it was a bad call but our blocking needs to be fixed ASAP.***

Oct 11, 2020, 7:05 AM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The probability of Potter making it was slim

Oct 11, 2020, 7:06 AM

However as we saw a lot could go wrong. Bad call by Dabo....just punt the ball

Re: The probability of Potter making it was slim

Oct 11, 2020, 8:50 AM

Part of Dabo developing players! He’s developing all facets of the game. Finding out if if BT could do it in a game.

Punt with 3 seconds??

Oct 11, 2020, 9:22 PM [ in reply to The probability of Potter making it was slim ]

That woukd have been INCREDIBLY boneheaded. Better off just taking a knee.

A Hail Mary would've been better.***

Oct 12, 2020, 12:28 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

I'm sorry, but percentage-wise you are incorrect.

Oct 12, 2020, 3:19 PM

The chances of making a 61-yd FG are considerably higher than making a hail mary.

But is it 7/3 less likely?

Oct 12, 2020, 4:27 PM

Upside for hail mary is 7 points. 61 yard FG is just 3.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The FG carries significantly better odds..

Oct 12, 2020, 9:52 PM

Is that what you're asking?

Me either

Oct 11, 2020, 7:17 AM

Find out who is getting blown up on the right side of the line and fix it. Problem solved

Whoever is #46 pretty much laid down on the long one

Oct 11, 2020, 8:42 AM

Exactly - it was not a bad call. Kudos to Dabo for not

Oct 11, 2020, 7:53 AM

taking the bait on national TV by responding to a reporter's question in the heat of the moment and throwing his players under the bus. Instead he took the blame himself. Back to the point however - it was not a bad call as long as Potter has a good shot at making it, and I have to believe he did; Dabo knows better than any of us.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Oct 11, 2020, 8:22 AM

I actually loved the call. I like the go for the jugular attitude Dabo has. I can remember the days when a different coach would run the clock out before the half with about 30 seconds on it. Just fix the blocking and let it rip! Kudos to Miami though, they found a weak spot on our line and exploited it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I probably wouldn’t have either if we hadn’t already had a short FG blocked.

Oct 11, 2020, 8:28 AM

It’s gotta be pretty low to go that far.

Oct 11, 2020, 8:35 AM

This was the wrong game and the wrong part of the game. Outcome was still very much in doubt. Try it in the fourth quarter up by 30 and I would agree with you but just before half and letting them have momentum and points it was a bad decision. But I thought Coach Swinney's response during the interview was perfect.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I would have run out the clock for only one reason

Oct 11, 2020, 8:36 AM

The last one was blocked from a much shorter distance and I doubt they had enough time to find out and solve exactly why. With a 61 yarder the launch angle is much lower and increases the possibility of it being blocked.
Had the first not been blocked, I would have said heck yes, kick the field goal.

It’s all good.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I would have run out the clock for only one reason

Oct 12, 2020, 10:14 AM

I actually don't think the 1st and 3rd blocked FG's have anything to do with the block on the long FG attempt. The 1st and 3rd were blocked from someone running around from the right side and stretching out to make the block. The block on the long FG was a defender coming over the middle and putting his hands up. The 1st and 3rd blocks were likely related to the same issues, but the 2nd block was something different entirely.

Oct 11, 2020, 8:47 AM

I did not like the call. To me the risk outweighed the reward. Everyone knew the rain was coming later in the game. Go to the locker room up 21-3.

Potter has the leg to hit it from there

Oct 11, 2020, 9:07 AM

Not sure what the issue is with the decision. Execute the play and give it a chance.

Yep. It's that simple.***

Oct 11, 2020, 9:11 AM

I like Dabo's attitude of keeping his foot on the gas....

Oct 11, 2020, 9:06 PM

...I believe there was at least a 1 in 4 chance of getting 3 points and no better than 1 in 20 chance of Miami scoring on a blocked kick or runback for 7 points. If those odds are in the ballpark, the math works.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If you look at history, FGs are made at a better clip than 25% from

Oct 12, 2020, 3:21 PM

that range. Conversely, how many blocked FGs for TDs have you seen, ever?

Exactly.

Oct 12, 2020, 5:08 PM

Those were very conservative odds to prove the point. Just looking at the odds for each event and the points at stake, it's a no-brainer. It was the right decision statically.

Of course there were subjective factors that are more difficult to measure.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I did . .

Oct 11, 2020, 9:07 PM

and the reason is simple . I think we have a better chance of scoring a TD than Potter hitting a 61 yard FG.

No one did..

Oct 11, 2020, 9:17 PM

..prior to the kick.

Hindsight coaches called it tho.

Re: No one did..

Oct 12, 2020, 1:19 AM

I certainly did. I was fussing as soon as I saw what we were doing. 3 points wasn't worth risking momentum going in to halftime of a game still in doubt against a team that had the potential to make the game close.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So you had a premonition it would be blocked & returned for a td?***

Oct 12, 2020, 4:07 AM

Re: So you had a premonition it would be blocked & returned for a td?***

Oct 12, 2020, 10:09 AM

I hadn't thought the ball would be blocked and a TD scored . . . but I did think we had a better chance of a TL touchdown than a Potter 61 yrd FG.

Odds of making a hail mary are

Oct 12, 2020, 3:30 PM

considerably lower than the odds of making a 60+ yard FG.

"Practicing" for a 61 yard FG was the far better idea in the event we actually need. If we're ever down by 3 or less and must have points, then we will go for the 61 yd FG everytime as opposed to a hail-mary.

And if you want to play conservative, then you just take a knee to end the half.

At Auburn a few years ago, Dabo was criticized for

Oct 12, 2020, 7:03 AM

... choosing NOT to attempt a FG that would have salted the game away.

Auburn ended up passing into our end zone with a chance to steal the win as time was running out.

Dammed if you do, dammed if you don’t.

I'm mixed. On the pro side are his leg and having the wind

Oct 12, 2020, 7:47 AM

at his back. On the negative are the wet field and the first kick getting blocked. I think overall I would have gone for the endzone, but can't really criticize the choice. Dabo's the coach!
'

Oct 12, 2020, 7:58 AM

When we were lining up, I said why in the world are we trying this? Chances are he misses in the first place. I figured they were just trying to pull them off sides, so we could get a closer kick. Either way it was a bad decision, but all's well that ends well.

"If a pig had a better personality, he would cease to be a filthy animal."

Oct 12, 2020, 10:17 AM

I have mixed feelings as I was at least nervous prior to the kick. I was honestly thinking of a situation similar to what happened to Bama against Auburn a handful of years ago though and not a block like this.

On the other hand, we've all seen that Potter has a strong leg, and Dabo says that he's made these types of kicks in practice before. Why let a player try it in practice, show that he can do it, and then tell him that you're never going to give him the chance in a real game?

Oct 12, 2020, 12:22 PM

While Potter is capable of hitting it from 61 yards. With the wet conditions and already having one FG blocked. A Hail Mary would have been my choice.

It wasn't raining at that point, and regardless

Oct 12, 2020, 3:13 PM

..you can actually kick a heavier ball farther.

Yea, but the score was 21-3 and the game was pretty

Oct 12, 2020, 12:25 PM

much won without that play.

If the game was 7-3 or 3-3, yea, give it a go.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Actually, I think the exact opposite is true.

Oct 12, 2020, 3:16 PM

When you're up 21-3 and not much on the line, now IS the time to try a long FG.. and (attempt to) have some confidence in a tight game it may be needed.

I did.

Oct 12, 2020, 12:30 PM

A field goal, assuming he made it, wouldn't have helped us much. It wasn't a tight game where every point was critical. Plus, I think the chances of him making it were low.

Why not go for the Hail Mary? A touchdown would've helped us. Sure, the odds of completing it were low, but arguably not any lower than making a field goal. Plus, the risk was much lower than a field goal attempt.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

The very point you made about not truly needing it,

Oct 12, 2020, 3:25 PM

is the EXACT reason you try it.. for future reference and in the event you fo need it.

Regardless, odds of making a 61-yd FG are considerably better than making a hail mary. This is an easily researched subject.

And waaaaaaaaaay down the list, is the miniscule chance it will be blocked for a TD.

Oct 12, 2020, 3:23 PM

SMH. He wanted to see if his FG unit could make a long one in game conditions and he found the answer. Case closed. I personally think he had seen enough to know that Miami wasn't beating us, I know I had. Now they know what needs to be fixed and if they have a fix for it. I can bet they will be lining up in FG formation and Potter will be kicking until they fall out. He was not happy with that part of play and though he said the right things that wasn't what he would have liked to have said.

I thought for sure we would pass to ETN or Galloway

Oct 12, 2020, 3:31 PM

Across the middle and see if they could run it in.

The other thought I had even knowing Potters long range was faking the FG with a pass to Amari or Ladson.

I knew the game was over looking at time of possession at the half. Miami’s defense looked so tired at the half, we had spanked them like they had never been spanked, no way were they coming back, to much shock & awe from our defense.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

Oct 12, 2020, 5:12 PM

Our line needed to be better

however, that attempt was more of complete contempt for Miami that our coaches were willing to spot 7 points to the canes just to see if Potter could do it.

It was literally,

Best case: it would be a cool highlight on sportscenter
Worse case: Miami would get its first TD in 10 quarters of play.

Hello #3. No, best case was he makes it and if we're ever in a position

Oct 12, 2020, 8:40 PM

of needing a 61 yard FG, then we have confidence we can make it. It was EXACTLY a practice kick for that. We'll spot what went wrong, and if in that situation again we'll do exactly the same thing.

Football 101.

Replies: 51
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic