Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
OK turf grass majors
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 1

OK turf grass majors

Jan 1, 2019, 11:16 AM

how do they put new sod on the field less than a week before the game and get it to stay together. I know they have been doing this for years but I still wonder how it works

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: OK turf grass majors

Jan 1, 2019, 11:17 AM

I dunno but I don't think one week is gonna fix this problem they have been trying to fix for 5 yrs.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The sod will be fantastic!!!

Jan 1, 2019, 12:19 PM
IMG_0747.JPG(146.2 K)
IMG_0748.JPG(133.4 K)
IMG_0749.JPG(142.9 K)

The rolls they lay are quite large and heavy enough to hold themselves in place. The Sports Field Industry is beyond anything we could imagine. You will be amazed how sturdy the surface will be!!!

It will be a mixture of Bermuda and Perennial Rye Grass. While the Bermuda may be heading into dormancy, the perennial rye grass, a cool season grass, is just hitting its peak. It will be the perennial rye grass which tacks first to add stability. There should be no need to staple the sod into place. It's own weight and how tightly they will pack it together will hold it in place. If done properly, you'll never see or feel a seam!!!

My question is, will they cut it tight creating a fast surface . . . or . . . Leave it tall for a more durable one?

I'm guessing taller than we are use to, but not as tall as ND's field has been at times.

Go TIGERS, ROLL bama!!!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The sod will be fantastic!!!

Jan 1, 2019, 12:38 PM

Thanks for the lesson

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Likely Flexi Seal and Flexi Tape

Jan 1, 2019, 11:18 AM

That stuff you can make boats for fat guys out of

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Likely Flexi Seal and Flexi Tape

Jan 1, 2019, 12:33 PM

we used several cans to re roof our home.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They use Alabama OL

Jan 1, 2019, 11:18 AM

holding techniques.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apparently it's grown on some kind of plastic and can be

Jan 1, 2019, 11:19 AM

harvested without disturbing the roots, which helps it settle in more quickly when laid in the stadium.

Re: Apparently it's grown on some kind of plastic and can be

Jan 1, 2019, 11:31 AM

yes but not much time especially in winter for roots to get established.

Jan 1, 2019, 11:51 AM

another ? is.how will this affect play on the field,and will the current condition of the field be an adavantage to one team or the other given their styles of play?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Jan 1, 2019, 12:02 PM

Both teams play on the same field _________________ don't they ????

Asking for all my friends**

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 1, 2019, 1:04 PM

not all teams like to cheat,and I wouldn't put anything past saban or the rest of the sec teams to try to use or twist ANYTHING possible to their advantage.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Jan 1, 2019, 12:19 PM

Long time member and reader of TNet, but I’ve never posted until now. Graduated from Clemson with B.S. Turfgrass Management, so I’ll give a quick answer on how they re-sod so quickly. As the poster below said it is grown on plastic and it is typically harvested much thicker than standard sod (3-4”) which makes it very stable as a playing surface, but it usually doesn’t root due to the depth of growing media attached to the turf. The thickness and overall weight of the sod keep it together for the most part, however, you will still see it rip in places where the players make sudden cuts or change of direction and where a lot of traffic is located (i.e. lines of scrimmage).

In most cases, after this game is played they will either re-sod the field again at a later date or with this being cool season turf (Ryegrass, Kentucky Bluegrass, or Bentgrass) it may even be seeded to establish new turf into what is already there. Hope this answers your question.

Jan 1, 2019, 12:22 PM

interesting stuff. Without blowing your cover, are you working in turf management ? Golf course? University ?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 1, 2019, 12:29 PM

I’m a golf course superintendent in South Carolina. Everyday brings a different challenge, but I absolutely love what I do.

here is how they get it looking so good

Jan 1, 2019, 12:21 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 15
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic