Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Nuk said he was only a #2 WR at Clem. Agree or Disagree?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 1

Nuk said he was only a #2 WR at Clem. Agree or Disagree?

Aug 5, 2017, 9:54 AM

He said he never became a #1 WR until his 2nd year in Houston. I don't agree with that. By the 2nd half of the season his Freshman year, I thought he was clearly our #1. Heck he was the only WR on the team that year that could actually catch. He was pretty much the #1 by default even though you could see that he was going to be special. Now his Sophmore year Sammy came on the seen. Watkins was so dynamic that we pretty much had to make him the #1. Finally, Nuk's Junior year, Sammy got suspended early in the season and pretty much suffered a Sophmore slump. That year Sammy had 57 catches, 805 yds and 4 TDs while Nuk finished with 82 catches, 1405 yds and 18 TDs. Sounds like a #1 guy to me.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He never was the clear number 1 reciever while at Clemson.

Aug 5, 2017, 10:01 AM

Most times the #1 receiver is always the first read, but while Nuk was here, they had plays designed for multiple reads. We had other great receivers and took advantage if it. I think that only helped Nuk.

But he was always either 1A or 1B, so I doubt he was complaining.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

Re: Nuk said he was only a #2 WR at Clem. Agree or Disagree?

Aug 5, 2017, 10:19 AM

Nuk played the 2-spot at Clemson.

Not sure exactly what he's talking about in that he was not our "#1", but the 2 is the flanker, the guy who (usually) lines up on the same side as the slot receiver - the 5-spot at Clemson.

What he might be referring to is that the 9 receiver at Clemson is the guy who lines up on the boundary side, the guy you're usually trying to get those 1-on-1 matchups with, the guy who does most of his work vertically. Usually at Clemson the 9 receiver has a much higher YPC because most of his routes are going to be deeper routes, whereas the 2 receiver tends to get the ball a lot more short, with a variety of tunnel and bubble screens where it's pretty much get the ball in the guy's hands, and let him make YPC.

But still, the 2 gets more targets than the 9, gets the ball in his hands more, usually. You definitely saw it with, say, Sammy Watkins, who had been playing the 9 while Nuk was around, but who moved to the 2 - with Martavis Bryant at the 9 - once Nuk moved into the NFL.

So it is a curious statement. Maybe Nuk views the boundary receiver as the glamorous position, and the flanker/2-spot as more of the short-route receiver? Whatever, Nuk certainly led Clemson in targets and receptions every year he was here.

Aug 5, 2017, 10:21 AM

Why is he hating on us so much recently?

Aug 5, 2017, 10:27 AM

He's not

Hating on Clemson?

Aug 5, 2017, 10:47 AM [ in reply to Re: Nuk said he was only a #2 WR at Clem. Agree or Disagree? ]

Really?

Is this the definition of a snowflake?

Aug 5, 2017, 10:39 AM

Deshaun tends to spread his throws out to various players, not always to one main receiver. I'm wonder if this could be Hopkins way of ensuring he has better stats, so he can demand more money (assuming he'll be Savage's main target).

However, it could not be that at all. Maybe he just sees DW needs more time to acclimate to the speed of the NFL and thoroughly know the playbook.

Aug 5, 2017, 10:47 AM

No, he's simply backing the starting QB. The guy who has put his time in and deserves his shot. He would say the same for Watson if Savage was the hot young rookie. I guarantee there are no hard feelings over the comments, Watson knows he needs to earn it and he will.

Aug 5, 2017, 11:43 AM

When you are on a team, college or pro, you don't get to play just because you "put in your time." You play because you are the best person and the people who know that better than anyone are the coaches. No coach worth his salt is going to play a guy just because he has "put in his time" if they believe there is a better person out there.

If your premise is correct, Cole Stoudt would have played most of the season a few years back because he definitely "put in his time." I have no problem if the coaches feel that Savage is the better QB, but that should be left to those coaches to make that decision, not players. As young as Savage is, if the Texans thought he was the guy of the future they would have never traded up to get Watson.

Aug 5, 2017, 12:10 PM

This isn't as difficult as people are making it. O'Brien said Savage is the starter. Nuk has been grinding with Savage and he backed him up. We all know Watson is going to be the starter, and probably sooner rather than later, but Savage deserves his shot and Nuk is just supporting the starting QB. I guarantee Watson agrees with what he said.

Sammy was the #1 guy here during Nuk's

Aug 5, 2017, 12:00 PM

career. Nuk had a much better year Sammy's sophomore year when Sammy was suspended 2 games and battled nagging injuries, but Sammy was the #1 guy.

Nuk became the ""#1 GUY"" for all of Clemson Nation**

Aug 5, 2017, 12:27 PM
NUK.jpg(81.4 K)

December 31,2012 --- Atlanta Chick-fil-A / Peach Bowl -- when he caught the "" 4th & 16 "" pass from Tajh Boyd !!!!! _________________ that started what we have now !!!!! __ GO TIGERS !!!!!

Replies: 11
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic