Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Now they are saying masks don't work and can actually
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 40
| visibility 4,681

Now they are saying masks don't work and can actually

Apr 15, 2020, 7:09 AM

spread the virus. This is why I laugh when someone tries to claim these models and projections as fact. Haha.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Now they are saying masks don't work and can actually

Apr 15, 2020, 7:11 AM

The models said masks should be worn? Hmm...missed that one!

Do you kick your dog?

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 15, 2020, 7:57 AM

Dogs escape noonces like this toolbag the first time a door is left open .

Even a faithful breed like dogs knows when there's no hope .

Message was edited by: Tigerdug23®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Apr 15, 2020, 11:35 AM

LMAO Tigerdug! Thanks, I needed that.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 15, 2020, 7:20 AM

Who is “they”, and where did “they” say that?

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 15, 2020, 7:25 AM

Saw it on the news. Try and keep up.

Apr 15, 2020, 8:23 AM

I saw a random idiot primary care doc with some official title in Washington saying this yesterday. She was talking about loose fitting surgical masks. Better masks can certainly stop this virus. The BS coming out of Washington usually tilts to what they want you to believe and what’s “doable” more than factual.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Even if it doesn't fit it still helps

Apr 15, 2020, 9:05 AM

It will still stop droplets and it will do it from both directions. It's all about odds.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^^Gets it. This disease is all about odds. There is nothing

Apr 15, 2020, 9:14 AM

Magical or lucky about it. It started with the odds of it crossing species. Odds are increased by cramming millions of people into a small radius with millions of animals. Then it’s about being in a heavy populated area that spreads quickly. Then you’re more likely to spread rapidly in a large city. 6 feet away won’t stop all particles but The larger distance you are from others the smaller chance you have if encountering a particle. If you’re six feet away and have a surgical mask you are even less likely to come into contact with a particle on your face. If I go to the grocery store and pick up my groceries that I ordered once per week rather than spending an hour in the grocery store and going out to eat 3-4 times per week, the odds are less that I get it. Washing my hands 1000 times per day decreases my odds as well. As described, we are decreasing odds not 100% stopping.

random idiot primary care doc. Wow, that sounds arrogant.

Apr 15, 2020, 9:09 AM [ in reply to Re: Now they are saying masks don't work and can actually ]

Family Medicine, Pediatrics, internal medicine are all primary care. I’m hoping you mean this one particular person was an idiot. Or are you implying the rest of us are too?

Re: random idiot primary care doc. Wow, that sounds arrogant.

Apr 15, 2020, 9:21 AM

I AM a primary care doc. I say this with some basis in fact. I could sit and pick apart what she said point by point, but neither you nor I care to see it.

I'll take your word for it Doc. I'm not a doctor but am an

Apr 15, 2020, 9:25 AM

engineer and we think we know everything.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I'll take your word for it Doc. I'm not a doctor but am an

Apr 15, 2020, 3:56 PM

Thanks Neal, we appreciate your honesty! :)

I thought you were primary care and not defending what she said.

Apr 15, 2020, 9:30 AM [ in reply to Re: random idiot primary care doc. Wow, that sounds arrogant. ]

I was just insuring you weren’t implying that primary care physicians are idiotic by nature. I didn’t see what she said anyways.

Message was edited by: lovingit®

Re: I thought you were primary care and not defending what she said.

Apr 15, 2020, 10:18 AM

It's OK. It was meant to be specific to THAT doc, who seemed to be saying what she was told to say, and clearly giving half-truths to support an agenda.

Oh, and Neal- BTW- I was a computer engineer (Clemson '86) and went to graduate school at Clemson in EE.

Gotcha, sorry for assuming otherwise. Hope you and yours are safe.

Apr 15, 2020, 10:21 AM

The county I live in still has less than 5 positive cases. So thankfully the testing and equipment are here before the virus hits hard. But I know that’s not the average story.

Apr 15, 2020, 7:33 AM

Viral particle droplets can be less than 5 um. Surgical masks cannot filter all of it but it reduces it by 3X you would get otherwise without a mask. Most viral particles are in aerosol water droplets around 60 um which are more effectively filtered. However, the little guys--some will get through. N95(95%filtration) filters down to .3 um...which means it filters 95% of aerosols challenge. There are N99 (99%) and N100(100%) but you don't hear them talking about those as they are rarely needed.Now would be a good time to have them.That's why the need the freaking masks plus at best, they get saturated and ineffective after 6-8 hours. Surgical masks have much much less filtration capacity-- for just walking around probably help some. If a COVID-19 person sneezes in your face, you are not protected.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 15, 2020, 8:24 AM

N-99 is as close to 100 I have found, and I think the actual number on those is 99.97% filtration. I have them for my family.

I also heard condoms aren’t 100% effective either

Apr 15, 2020, 7:37 AM

Raw dogging ftw!!

Wait...what !?!?!?!***

Apr 15, 2020, 7:42 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Trojan says 98%. I guess that means they should

Apr 15, 2020, 7:45 AM

pay 2% of your child support. Seems fair to me.

^^Yup! You is a

Apr 15, 2020, 9:07 AM [ in reply to Wait...what !?!?!?!*** ]

Poppas, BigCUTigerFan! Use that stimulus check wisely...and sparingly!

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: ^^Yup! You is a

Apr 15, 2020, 11:16 AM

well, it's 1200 bucks, so sparingly is about the best one can get out of it.

Re: I also heard condoms aren’t 100% effective either

Apr 15, 2020, 8:58 AM [ in reply to I also heard condoms aren’t 100% effective either ]

Lmao ??????

As someone who does groundwater modeling....

Apr 15, 2020, 7:43 AM

No model is fact....just the best predictive tool that we have. More data makes it better. We are constantly adding more hard data to our groundwater models to achieve better predictions.

COVID models are no different.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: As someone who does groundwater modeling....

Apr 15, 2020, 7:50 AM

Agree. Predictive metrics are a constantly changing indicator as more data refines the prediction. Maybe we should hire the weather forecasters to provide accurate predictive metrics. Oh wait.......

Re: As someone who does groundwater modeling....

Apr 15, 2020, 9:25 AM [ in reply to As someone who does groundwater modeling.... ]

The issue is that they aren't revising their models to match what actually happened. For example, if I knew for a fact that there were 500 hospitalizations yesterday, but my model still says there should have been 1,000, I need to figure out where my model is wrong and adjust to match what actually happened.

That can be extremely difficult.

Apr 15, 2020, 9:41 AM

You can throw in a fudge factor to end up at the right result always once that result is known, but if that’s the case, the model is missing something that affects the output. Knowing what the model is missing is the million dollar question. There’s no way to know that right now or maybe ever. The number of variables associated with something like this I can only imagine is huge and possibly time or otherwise variant. Quite a difficult problem indeed.

Good thing we don't have that issue with global warming

Apr 15, 2020, 9:48 AM

we got that #### nailed down

Re: That can be extremely difficult.

Apr 15, 2020, 11:19 AM [ in reply to That can be extremely difficult. ]

I completely agree, but the modelers should be combing their models to try to find that missing piece. They should have enough data now to be able to revise their models and match confirmed data. If they can't do that, they shouldn't publish their models. There will always be uncertainty and a range moving forward, but their models can't reproduce yesterday.

For me, there is never enough data...

Apr 15, 2020, 12:04 PM

I always want more for my groundwater models. Lucky for me....I don't have too many human factors to evaulate.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: For me, there is never enough data...

Apr 15, 2020, 12:13 PM

You are absolutely right! When you read the studies, the authors openly state that they are ignoring potential seasonality/temperature effects, community standards on closeness, population density, etc.

I highly recommend that you wear one as a muzzle***

Apr 15, 2020, 7:55 AM

Re: I highly recommend that you wear one as a muzzle***

Apr 15, 2020, 8:00 AM

would have to be beak-shaped.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Like this?

Apr 15, 2020, 10:28 AM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I'll play along

Apr 15, 2020, 8:33 AM

I'm sure your info is correct in some context you're not including.

Just like when one "authority" said yesterday that 75% of patients who go on ventilators die: that doesn't mean the ventilator is what kills them.

Your statement makes it seem that wearing a mask is riskier than going in public with a naked face. That is categorically untrue.

The only way a mask can spread the virus is if it gets contaminated and then reused or shared.

Apr 15, 2020, 8:54 AM

I hear that if you tie one of these really tightly over your head before going out of your home it is 100% effective at keeping out the virus.

Of course masks can spread the virus.

Apr 15, 2020, 11:23 AM

If someone wears a mask, touches a door handle with the virus on it, then touches the mask, the mask is now contaminated. If the outside of the mask is touched as he takes it off, and then he scratches his face, he's been exposed to the virus.

Masks do work though. There is a reason those in healthcare have been wearing them for all these years.

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: Of course masks can spread the virus.

Apr 15, 2020, 12:11 PM

Agree especially if you don't take them off properly from around the ears without touching the front. See so many people doing that even news reporters touching the front, pulling then down around the neck then pulling them back up.

Re: Of course masks can spread the virus.

Apr 15, 2020, 12:14 PM [ in reply to Of course masks can spread the virus. ]

The reason that the CDC didn't endorse wearing masks is because, as you said, it's very difficult to wear correctly and provide protection.

Apr 15, 2020, 11:33 AM

They work to get into the store.

Replies: 40
| visibility 4,681
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic