Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Notre Dame Nugget
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1

Notre Dame Nugget

Dec 18, 2018, 12:31 PM

Just read an article saying Notre Dame has not won a major bowl since 1993. In 25 years since then, Notre Dame has lost four Fiesta Bowls by 17, 32, 14 and 16 points, a Sugar Bowl by 27, an Orange Bowl by 5, and a national title game by 28.

Being 24 years of age, I've always had a perception of Notre Dame being a powerhouse football program. Is this just a team built on illusion and lore?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They lost 9 consecutive bowl games after that '94 Cotton

Dec 18, 2018, 12:39 PM

Their only bowl wins since then came against Hawaii, Miami, Rutgers (lol) and LSU twice.

They have several Heisman winners, but only one in the last 50+ years.

One national championship in the last 40 years, and that was 30 years ago.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: They lost 9 consecutive bowl games after that '94 Cotton

Dec 18, 2018, 1:46 PM

They almost won a Heisman with that asian boy, but then his girlfriend died in a plane crash and he lost his focus. Pretty sure they did win the natty that year though - I didn't watch, but I do remember NBC talking about how incredible that team was, no way they lost..

Re: They lost 9 consecutive bowl games after that '94 Cotton

Dec 18, 2018, 3:20 PM

I think they lost in a nail biter.

Re: Notre Dame Nugget

Dec 18, 2018, 12:45 PM

David Copperfield made the Statue of Liberty disappear by rotating the cameras and attending people on a stage.Carny shylocks use a babe in a bikini to distract(yes, women watch her too)you. ND has very few neutral viewers. Most people either love ND or hate ND. And Sports Writers are Svengallis in manipulating Sportsholes...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 18, 2018, 12:45 PM

No. I still think that ND is a great program, but parity has just changed the entire landscape of college football. That and the ascendancy of the passing game, to which defenses by and large haven't caught up. One of the reasons that as WRU, we are at the top of the heap. Top QB's now seek us out. I'm loving it, hope it lasts. If you can run the ball as we can, then it becomes a double whammy. You'd better be able to recruit and develop top offensive linemen, though, because they need to be able to both run and pass block

Dec 18, 2018, 12:53 PM

Yes. Having 1 Billion fans helps keep them in the news. It’s an interesting lesson in marketing.

Dec 18, 2018, 1:55 PM

Lore, tradition, easy non conference scheduling.

Dec 19, 2018, 7:37 AM

Greetings Tiger fans. Not here to ######## anyone, just have some decent dialogue. I'm not sure where an easy schedule comes into play. ND plays a solid schedule every year with no FCS teams scheduled. If I remember correctly, ND is the only one of the four playoff teams that played an all P5 schedule. Prior to the year starting no one would have predicted Stanford, V-Tech or USC finishing with just 7 or 8 wins. Next year Michigan and Georgia are on the schedule along with USC, Stanford, Michigan St and U of Miami. That's along with the 5 ACC games they will play.

In regards to the fan base. If you want to learn more, read about Fielding Yost (KKK member) from Michigan and his efforts to keep teams in the midwest from playing Notre Dame and fought to keep Notre Dame out of the B1G. This was carried on by others like Crisler at Michigan for years. ND was forced to look outside of the Midwest for teams to play. Hence the trips to USC and Stanford. Unknowingly, Michigan did ND a huge favor and is the main reason ND has a national fan base instead of a more regional one.

As far as the game, I look for Clemson to win, but think this will be much closer than the spread indicates. People who reference the 2012 ND team as a barometer for this team, haven't been paying attention. The defense is better than the 2012 edition as is the QB, WR and RB positions. This team has much better athletes and a lot more speed across the board. Clemson has more overall team speed, but ND isn't slow.

This will be the best defense both teams have faced. IMO, this is going to come down to who can have success running the ball.

Dec 18, 2018, 1:56 PM

Something that must be remembered about ND's great past is their tie with the Catholic Church. There was time when college football was an all-white sport and any white, Catholic kid that had a chance to play for ND would travel across the county for the opportunity, so they got many of the best. Skip to 2018 when a large number of players are non-white and not Catholic and add that to the steep drop off in religion in general and now ND is just another major college program with a great, but far-gone, past. If this post offends anyone, that was not my intention, just trying to reflect the changes to our society and the effect on sports or vice-versa.

No, I'm not saying non-white kids can't be Catholic or kids today are bad or non-religious or that ND needs a Confederate stature or any other thing that you may try to read into this post and take offense with.

Thre French one a few battles in their day also.

Dec 18, 2018, 2:32 PM

Over 200 years ago.

Re: Thre French one a few battles in their day also.

Dec 18, 2018, 2:50 PM

I'm curious if you won the spelling bee

this is their best team in +20 years

Dec 18, 2018, 2:44 PM

I think they will keep it close enough to be respectable. I don't see a 31-0 tOSU type game with them.. but then again I didn't see a 31-0 tOSU game before it happened.

I find it wise to keep the hubris to a minimum but I understand why some fans let 'er fly!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 18, 2018, 2:54 PM

You can get a 5 minute, personal meeting with the Pope for $22K. Airfare and expenses not included.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 18, 2018, 3:02 PM

A big reason for Notre Dame’s abysmal Bowl record is their immense popularity. Bowls are all about making money and ND has a huge, nationwide fan base.
Bowl selections are done in a pecking order with the higher tier bowls going first.
As soon as ND becomes available to be picked, they’re selected. Often times Bowls will “reach down” and select ND for a higher tier Bowl game because of ticket sales and TV viewership. This results in ND playing superior competition in Bowls and that’s the reason for their poor Bowl record.

Dec 18, 2018, 3:09 PM

stltiger59 said:

A big reason for Notre Dame’s abysmal Bowl record is their immense popularity. Bowls are all about making money and ND has a huge, nationwide fan base.
Bowl selections are done in a pecking order with the higher tier bowls going first.
As soon as ND becomes available to be picked, they’re selected. Often times Bowls will “reach down” and select ND for a higher tier Bowl game because of ticket sales and TV viewership. This results in ND playing superior competition in Bowls and that’s the reason for their poor Bowl record.

Pretty accurate. One of the first games in that bowl drought was a loss to a very good Colorado team we had no business playing as a 6 win Fiesta Bowl participant.

Dec 18, 2018, 3:24 PM [ in reply to Re: Notre Dame Nugget ]

Actually we had this issued pre-Dabo... but even then we somehow managed to win a few like against UT in the Peach, etc.

Dec 18, 2018, 3:20 PM

Much of the respect given Notre Dame is based on historical success..... Beginning around 1920 with Knute Rockne, they became a very good football team and continued for many years under the coaching of Ara Parseghian, Frank Leahy, Dan Devine - slipped a bit under Gerry Faust, but revived under Lou Holtz. Under Parseghian and Devine, they played some tremendous games against B1G teams (then the Big 10) such as Michigan, Michigan State. After Holtz left, they haven't been the same powerhouse until very recently. They are once again a very goo football team and will be a threat to us with their WRs and TEs - particularly the TE in the middle of the field. We've certainly beaten them before and can beat them again, but we'd better be ready to play.

Here's some history on some of their past accomplishments:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1833634-best-college-football-moments-in-notre-dame-history#slide3

Dec 18, 2018, 3:28 PM

Granny never wins that NC without that QB that he stole from SC

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 19, 2018, 7:52 AM [ in reply to Re: Notre Dame Nugget ]

Pretty spot on. Several things contributed to the less than stellar performance after Lou left. Father Malloy did not care for the football team. As one of the better academic institutions he didn't like that a lot of people thought of football first when they heard the name Notre Dame. The facilities weren't upgraded and coaches salaries lagged way behind. This limited the good candidates when looking for a HC. Weis looked like a good fit, but he is no HC. There was a lot of arguing amongst his staff and it never gelled. Tyrone Willingham spent more time on the golf course then he did coaching. It wasn't unusual for him to be absent from team practices. Bob Davie was in over his head.

Father Jenkins and AD Swarbrick understand that academics and football can coexists. ND has upgraded the facilities considerably and it looks like Kelly is a good fit. He understands the limitations he has when it comes to recruiting and made changes to his staff in the last couple of years that look to be paying dividends.

ND is the most overrated team in college football

Dec 18, 2018, 5:09 PM

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/which-college-football-teams-are-always-overrated-in-august/

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 20
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic