Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Not quite a sermon, but a musing...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 30
| visibility 1

Not quite a sermon, but a musing...

Oct 19, 2014, 11:29 AM

After yesterday's win (and despite the tone of some posts here, it WAS a win ... and a win to be proud of!) I started thinking about why folks were down on this team.

Aside from those of us who are inerrantly optimistic, I think we all expected to be 5-2 at this point. Heck, a good many saw this or Louisville as a trap game, one which would drop us to 4-3. So, we're right where we logically should be with plenty of green grass in front of us, and another 10-win season well within the realm.

So, why so pensive, why pouring up draughts of doom and misery? I refuse to believe that so many Sons of Clemson are truly that miserable in victory, and I pray they aren't that unhappy in other aspects of their lives.

Then, it hit me: Perhaps we are conditioned to this sort of response. Not as Clemson fans, but as veterans of experience. A lot of the folks here aren't graced with the living knowledge of the days when Clemson could count on defense. We've become accustomed to having to outscore people to be sure of victory. The essence of our success had become "run so far ahead that they can't catch you."

Which works great, except for the games that involve people who can run just as fast, or have the rare defense to slow you down.

This winning with defense may take some getting used to for you new folks. But I promise it works. We built a dynasty on bludgeoning people in the 80s with it. And with it, your offense can be less-than-stellar (which, honestly, our's is right now) and you'll still be fine.

Case in point: Our last two games have been against two of the top defenses in the country ... not the conference, the country. And it showed on our offense, which suddenly has been required to shift gears. A new QB, running back injuries ... all while facing two Top 10 defenses.

And we won. We won with a defense that held Louisville and BC to half their usual points. We won with a defense that said "Not today!" and turned both away at crunch time.

Yes, Clemson won with defense. And, to me, if feels great ... nerve-wracking, but great.

After so long, it may be difficult for people to remember how to trust defense again. Think of it as a matter of faith in what WON'T happen, rather that what will.

They WON'T score.

They WON'T win.

We will.

Of course, a team with stout defense needs to have the heart and voice of its fans. Fans have far less of their own entity invested in an offensive juggernaut. But you have to get in the trenches with a defense. You have to be screaming and growling and clawing with them.

Are you willing to do so? Will you believe in defense again, Tigers?

Come get in the trenches with us. Taste the blood of our opponents. Hear their whimpers in pain. There are gritty, glorious moments in store.

And when the offense gets back on track, as I believe it will this weekend, there will truly be better days ahead.

We've been here before. And we've won.

We will do so again.

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Spot on, as usual :-)***

Oct 19, 2014, 11:31 AM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Not quite a sermon, but a musing...

Oct 19, 2014, 11:35 AM

Amen Rev!! They haven't seen defense like in those days until now!!

Amen Rev. Excellent as always. Just hope

Oct 19, 2014, 11:40 AM

our offense recovers in time for the yard birds in November. We truly owe them a November to remember and we've got just the defense to do it.

Awesome post as usual!!! Go Tigers!!!***

Oct 19, 2014, 11:53 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 19, 2014, 11:54 AM

Like Tommy Bowden said...when he was an assistant at Duke, they would come into the Valley in 2 buses and leave in 2 buses and 3 ambulances. The game has changed since the 80s. look at the GT option and remember back to Ford's option and Hatfields flex bone offense. With the way the offensive schemes have changed it is hard to be a defensive team. I have to hand it to Venables, he has won the game for us as Morris has let us down. If you think we are worse with Stoudt at QB, where would we be without him? The defense was helped yesterday with a dropped pass or 2; yes they all count but the offensive line needs to start helping us out. For old guys like us, the games the past 2 weeks have been a real throwback and to be honest I like what is going on, and am beginning to get confidence that if we are close in the 4th quarter we are going to win....and, if we are ahead, we will hold on. We beat ourselves in one game, that happens but remember back to the UGA game how lousy we were in the 4th and where we are...good job, guys.....

AMEEEENNNAA!!!!!

Oct 19, 2014, 11:55 AM

nm

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 19, 2014, 12:21 PM

I know that we have won way more games with us scoring less than 21 points than we ever have scoring more than 21 points. In fact, us winning a game with up to 21 points was very unusual. But us wining a lot of games with us scoring less than 21 was usual and expected. Us old timers got really excited with a few completed passes of more than 15 yards....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Amen.

Oct 19, 2014, 12:45 PM

I do remember the defenses of the 1980s and, while this year may be as good as 1989 or 1990, I enjoy knowing most teams won't go 75 yards without a big play. As Dabo says, "the fun is in the winning,". While not pretty, the last two weeks have been fun. Go Tigers!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Some have lost the faith RevDodd

Oct 19, 2014, 12:55 PM

Been gone for a bit and I forgot how much I liked your Sunday morning post Rev Dodd. I agree 100% with you (as usual). So many new Tigers have become obsessed with games where we run 70-80 plays per game and score over 35 points every Saturday.

I too remember the days where the word "Clemson" struck utter fear in a offensive coach and just knowing they were coming to play the Tigers in Death Valley some time in November would be viewed with such dread it would cause them nightmares starting in August. The old days when despite the warm and wonderful southern hospitality shown by the Paw Nation before and after a game (that we are still known for)..... once the ball was kicked the Tigers "ORANGE CRUSH" Defense would be whipped into a fury by almost one hundred thousand roaring, growling, snarling, Tigers in the stands. The days when we stood side by side yelling at the top of our lungs on every play the Tigers Defense were on the field. The days when we all knew we were SOLID ORANGE.

Now we have the fare weather Tigers... the ones that can't be happy unless we score 30-40-or 50 points a game. The ones that praised Chad Morris in 2011 when he was a breath of fresh air and we were the Dark Horses stunning ranked teams we were expected to loose to. Now they want Chads head because he will not put Cole under center. No worries good Reverend... I still have the faith and stand side by side with you in the Valley yelling at the opposing offence every time the Tigers line up and not just when we put Orange in the end zone. Cole is not Tajh, we miss Sammy, and we look for the next CJ at running back.... we have had it and will again.

Now when we get our Offence that we have become known for back and we have the defense that we were famous for and becoming famous for again and we do it in the same year.... it will be 1981 all over again.....Hallelujah!!!!

Lead, Follow, or Get out of the Way.
Sine Pari- The tip of the spear.
Cofounder / USASOC Black Daggers 2001

Tell 'em Rev *****

Oct 19, 2014, 1:04 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes the road to the truth is so elusive it's confusing and reality becomes illusion.

Spot on, Rev!

Oct 19, 2014, 1:05 PM

"This winning with defense may take some getting used to for you new folks. But I promise it works. We built a dynasty on bludgeoning people in the 80s with it. And with it, your offense can be less-than-stellar (which, honestly, our's is right now) and you'll still be fine."

Yep Rev, we Tigers will be fine, esp w BV at the helm! Just like w '81 NC (and our other great years in '80s), defense wins championships - GO TIGERS!

Re: Wonderful lesson Rev

Oct 19, 2014, 1:05 PM

The younger fans have been raised on high flying offenses. The previous generations revel in the memories of 10-8 bone-crushing victories at Chapel Hill on the way to a NC. Great perspective for a glorious Sunday.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I know I keep getting flamed but the reason

Oct 19, 2014, 1:12 PM

is I was expecting us to be 7-0 or 6-1 (I thought Louisville would be better but thought we would handle the mutts and the semiholes). The D is lights out. I thought this is how good they would be. I did not think our O line would be as underdeveloped and anemic as I've seen. I also thought after Deshaun's first series in the UGA game he should have been the starting QB. And I have gotten flamed and thumbs down for my posts on these subjects.

No flames here....

Oct 19, 2014, 6:25 PM

I had hopes of the same. Otherwise, why play the game?

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well done, Rev***

Oct 19, 2014, 1:22 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

'I Cannot Sanction Your Buffoonery'

Dang, this post makes me somewhat randy!***

Oct 19, 2014, 3:03 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was 6 my Mother let me have a kitten. It died. Don't send prayers, a TU is better." - tugalooriver circa 2022

my thoughts exactly !

Oct 20, 2014, 8:51 AM

I graduated in 1981 and Rev you are spot on, the last two weeks have brought me back to the nerve wracking late 70s and 80s. We are not used to our defense "getting the job" done but this one is and it is winning the game so to speak. great post !

I think Tiger Nation hasnt gotten fat and happy on free tacos and Bojangles fries

Oct 20, 2014, 9:23 AM

I admittedly have gotten used to our offense over the last few years nearly scoring at will on teams. But the last couple of games have reminded me of the good old days when Bo Time was unheard of and Clemson was collecting W's while our defense imposed their will and bloodied the noses of their opponents in the process. It's nice to know that if the offense is struggling as it has the last couple of weeks, the defense can put this team on its back and take care of business.

Amen Rev! Point for another great Monday boost!***

Oct 20, 2014, 9:42 AM

errr Sunday boost! :)***

Oct 20, 2014, 9:43 AM

Amusing? That wasn't funny at all ;)***

Oct 20, 2014, 9:46 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Too dang clever for a Monday!***

Oct 20, 2014, 9:47 AM

I was there for the 80's-- from 1980 to be exact--

Oct 20, 2014, 10:14 AM

We didnt yell GET A STOP!! Because they did. The largest roars were for the Defense, not a slant turned into a TD. They didnt give away free tacos or fries for scoring 28 points because, well, most times we didnt. Games were 10-8 and 13-3 with an occasional 31-6 tossed in against UVA or Dook.

We beat people down. Most had issues the week after Clemson because they were beat down. Most importantly, they knew they were going to be beat on again next year because we played everyone in the conference every year.

Nobody gave back their 1981 championship memorabilia because we beat Tulane 13-5. Scored 10 against UNC, 17 against NC State

I am not giving back the last 2 wins because nobody got free food.

Tigers win! See you all Saturday. Let's do it again

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I was there for the 80's-- from 1980 to be exact--

Oct 20, 2014, 10:26 AM

Same in the 60's. We weren't nationally dominate except in the acc, remember players had to make higher on the sat than regular students in the acc only. I remember playing southern Cal and an article in the paper that only 3 of their players could have qualified to play in the ACc (750 on SAT).

But we had a defense that would knock your lights out. The o-line was tough too because #1 offense scrimmaged #1 defense every week. We always played 2 quarterbacks -- Our lines were considered massive at an average of 235 Lbs. per man. On short yardage you could count on fullback between guard and tackle and usually made it because the FB's were bigger than the guards.

Three yards and a cloud of dust.

Actually, Quite the Sermon!!!!

Oct 20, 2014, 10:46 AM

I really think the Tigers LOVE to look across the field and watch the opposing team just shaking their head when we've got them on the ropes.

My best recollection is the 14-3 win over the Dennis Byrd-led NC State and their white shoes, and Coach Howard had Orange paint in the locker room to do ours between warm-ups and the Kick-off. 43,451 people went nuts!!!! The fact that ol' Coach Howard called a timeout with 3 seconds left in the third forcing State to punt into a 3-40 mph headwind had a lot to do with it. Seems I remember that punt netted maybe 2 yards and was downed by them.

I'll take a win 3-2, 7-6, 8-7 anytime!!!! I hope we return to those days when teams absolutely HATE to come to DV.

Actually, Quite the Sermon!!!!

Oct 20, 2014, 10:46 AM

I really think the Tigers LOVE to look across the field and watch the opposing team just shaking their head when we've got them on the ropes.

My best recollection is the 14-3 win over the Dennis Byrd-led NC State and their white shoes, and Coach Howard had Orange paint in the locker room to do ours between warm-ups and the Kick-off. 43,451 people went nuts!!!! The fact that ol' Coach Howard called a timeout with 3 seconds left in the third forcing State to punt into a 30-40 mph headwind had a lot to do with it. Seems I remember that punt netted maybe 2 yards and was downed by them.

I'll take a win 3-2, 7-6, 8-7 anytime!!!! I hope we return to those days when teams absolutely HATE to come to DV.

I'm not sure that our offense is all that bad

Oct 20, 2014, 11:26 AM

Cole has had the bad luck of having to face the #1 and #11 total defenses in the NCAA. And having to face them with a sprained left shoulder.

The sledding gets a good bit easier the next few games with Syracuse (#43 overall), Wake Forest (41), GT (73), and SCar (80). I believe we'll see significant offensive improvement in the coming weeks, and that we will maintain defensive dominance. Look for some less stressful 4th quarters coming up.

I also think FSU has a chance of dropping two ACC games this season. I think @Louisville will be tough for them, and they could struggle with this BC team, even at home. The Noles have not looked very dominant, and there's still a glimmer of hope for Clemson to reach the ACCCG.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agree, especially if Morris runs the 2 min O without

Oct 20, 2014, 12:15 PM

stopping play very often!

i was there in the 70s and 80s, the defensive battles were n

Oct 20, 2014, 12:05 PM

erve wrecking, but it seems worse now. guess i'm getting to old for it.

Thanks, we cannot question the players hearts - D or O!

Oct 20, 2014, 12:09 PM

Love their will to win!

Replies: 30
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic