Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
O Line depth rant. And it's a fair criticism IMO
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 45
| visibility 1

O Line depth rant. And it's a fair criticism IMO

Nov 28, 2020, 8:02 PM

The lack of CONSISTENT recruiting across multiple cycles is hurting us. We only have 1 senior on the O Line. Think about that. When lined up against less than elite teams, we struggle to run in the A gaps. When lined up against elite teams (yes, ND), we can't run at all. Period.

To be an elite team with O Line depth you simply cannot have multiple recruiting cycles with only 2-3 linemen per class. It doesn't work.

I sincerely hope that this season's struggles on the O Line have triggered some internal discussions about the importance of O Line recruiting. Walker Parks is the ONLY lineman we have on the bench that could come in and contribute on a regular basis. That's a sobering thought.

=Tchio has talent but is not there yet.
=Vinson still working on regaining strength on the knee.
=Mayes injured.
=Johnson still learning the position.
=Trotter: still a work in progress

And who can replace Stewart if he goes down? Trotter? Answer: Nobody.

I'm not going to blame Caldwell because I don't believe he's responsible for the numbers. I think he has done a great job working with WHAT HE HAS. This isn't on Caldwell.

So, take it however you want. Anyone who isn't wearing orange colored glasses know that teams are stacking the box and plugging the A gaps and daring us to attack the perimeter because they know we can't run interior plays. Flame away.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

Difficult position to recruit IMO.***

Nov 28, 2020, 8:08 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sorry, but that's a bad excuse

Nov 28, 2020, 8:09 PM

Lots of programs out there that consistently have good Olsons

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Sorry, but that's a bad excuse

Nov 28, 2020, 8:09 PM

lol - OL's

I thought...

Nov 28, 2020, 8:14 PM

Olsens was a reference to Merlin Olsen, so I gave you a TU.

I thought it was a Benji Olson G reference****

Nov 28, 2020, 9:04 PM

Re: Sorry, but that's a bad excuse

Nov 28, 2020, 8:12 PM [ in reply to Sorry, but that's a bad excuse ]

True, but I strongly believe it's more about numbers---successful programs (see Bama) always recruit more numbers than we currently do.

Screw Calford.

Successful programs??

Nov 29, 2020, 12:08 AM

Who has been more successful in the last five years than Clemson???

Saying that the current state of affairs has nothing to do with Caldwell is just absurd. I really hate it, but the utter failure to successfully recruit the position even during the greatest period of success in Clemson football history proves that it is the one position we aren’t developing well. We aren’t putting OL in the league. Mitch Hyatt was probably the best OL we’ve had in recent years and he didn’t even get drafted!!!!

It’s enough. We’ve seen enough!!! Time to fix it.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson has been in playoff 5 straight years

Nov 28, 2020, 8:12 PM [ in reply to Sorry, but that's a bad excuse ]

and two titles.

Re: Clemson has been in playoff 5 straight years

Nov 28, 2020, 8:14 PM

what does that have to do with an excuse that OL is a difficult position to recruit? Our coaches find ways to win but our run blocking this year is terrible. No one can argue with that or your point.

It’s not terrible. It’s better than all but the elite

Nov 28, 2020, 8:21 PM

and it’s good enough to win title again this year. Other schools don’t have back to back QBs, or WRU or DLine etc.. we had a few years where 4 and 5 star guys on online didn’t pan out for whatever reason. I don’t think you are giving Pitt Defense or BC or Notre Dame enough credit.

Re: It’s not terrible. It’s better than all but the elite

Nov 28, 2020, 8:28 PM

Oh, I think its terrible. Look at ETNs numbers this year. I don't expect huge numbers against Pitt or ND since they both have good defenses, but with a back like ETN even with an average run blocking line he would be having a better year.

He plays 3 quarters a game, if lucky. He could pad stats

Nov 28, 2020, 8:38 PM

on tired defenses in 4th quarter, but we don’t need to do that.

ETN YPC per Season

Nov 28, 2020, 9:00 PM

2017 - 7.2
2018 - 8.1
2019 - 7.8
2020 - 5.2

Had two 5?'s(hits)...

Nov 28, 2020, 9:24 PM [ in reply to It’s not terrible. It’s better than all but the elite ]

Excluding the OL signed in last year class, there have been a few 4?s, but sparsely scattered here & there. Most were fringe/borderline 4?s-

Nov 28, 2020, 8:14 PM [ in reply to Clemson has been in playoff 5 straight years ]

No arguing that. But our path to the title has clearly been easier in the ACC than in the SEC. No arguing that either.

Screw Calford.

Nov 28, 2020, 8:29 PM [ in reply to Clemson has been in playoff 5 straight years ]

Our O Line can keep a QB clean though, most of the sacks comes from the QBs holding on to the ball to long.....run blocking is horrible, I agree.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 28, 2020, 9:03 PM [ in reply to Clemson has been in playoff 5 straight years ]

So you would think we would be able to recruit some decent lineman right? Wrong. Worst offensive line we've had in years... Caldwell is the problem!

Re: Difficult position to recruit IMO.***

Nov 28, 2020, 8:10 PM [ in reply to Difficult position to recruit IMO.*** ]

Yes. Very. That is precisely why you have to recruit more numbers because it's inevitable to have some misses. It's also a developmental position---it takes time to develop functional depth.

Screw Calford.

You don’t just “recruit numbers”...

Nov 29, 2020, 12:17 AM

And we shouldn’t have to do that. For &@$k’s sake we’ve won two national championships and been to the CFP five years in a row; why the he# can’t we run the ball down Boston College and Pitt’s throat? I’ll tell you why - Blue chip offensive line recruits who want to play in the NFL do NOT want to play for Robbie Caldwell. It is CLEAR now.

Re: Difficult position to recruit IMO.

Nov 28, 2020, 8:14 PM [ in reply to Difficult position to recruit IMO.*** ]

it seems to be for us. and I agree about the numbers. we seem to recruit huge numbers of wr and scrimp on OL

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I’ve been saying for years we should use a couple extra

Nov 29, 2020, 1:48 PM [ in reply to Difficult position to recruit IMO.*** ]

Scholarships for OL. It’s the most difficult to recruit, it usually takes a few years to develop a great lineman.

We are paying for bringing in 5 linemen over a 2 year stretch. We should have a couple more seasoned guys than we currently have.

Use a couple extra ships towards OL. We never have good depth at OL

Re: O Line depth rant. And it's a fair criticism IMO

Nov 28, 2020, 8:12 PM

I thought they played pretty #### good. 150 yds rushing against 7 and 8 man boxes most of the game.

Nov 28, 2020, 8:12 PM

No. Watch the film. Pitt abandoned the A gaps midway through the 2nd quarter.

Screw Calford.

Nov 28, 2020, 8:13 PM

Can't really disagree. On the other hand, our Oline was much better the previous few years. And we lost four guys from last year. Hard to overcome immediately. No doubt CDS knows what's going on. And I'm sure our recruiting will change accordingly. If not, we simply won't compete for Nattys.

Nov 28, 2020, 8:16 PM

I have no doubt that staff knows the issues and will probably add more O Line numbers in the next cycles.

Screw Calford.

Not only that, but we can’t even

Nov 28, 2020, 8:18 PM

throw deep because our QB has no time to let our WRs run down the field.

Yes, I saw the Cornell catch. The OL played great in the first quarter then they came back down to reality and sucked the rest of the game.

Re: Not only that, but we can’t even

Nov 28, 2020, 8:19 PM

I would actually disagree with that. Our pass blocking has been pretty dang good. Problem is we have too many guys out right now and with the exception of Powell, no deep threats that are healthy. Hopefully we get Ladson back soon.

Screw Calford.

Nov 28, 2020, 8:24 PM

Today our O line looked too often as if their feet were stuck in mud.

Nov 28, 2020, 8:29 PM [ in reply to Re: Not only that, but we can’t even ]

Let’s agree to disagree. I think pass blocking is just as bad as run blocking this year. Trevor can mask the issues pass blocking because he can get the ball out in a hurry and that takes the pressure off of the offensive line. Watch the deep passes, Trevor barely has the time to let the play develop. He usually has to move the pocket to bide time. Not an expert, JMO!

Go Tigers! ??

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 28, 2020, 8:24 PM

A lot of the 5* O-linemen I wanted the past 5,6 years went to Georgia to sit on the bench for a few years. Just don't get how all these guys can not see that if they come to Clemson, they probably start day1..and they're still not coming. Would be so nice to have a line that can actually make a hole

Nov 28, 2020, 8:26 PM

There has been a LOT of negative recruiting against Clemson and in particular on the O Line---the big knock is we don't get guys into the NFL---that is the mountain we have to climb and end the negative perceptions.

Screw Calford.

I’ll tell you why Al

Nov 29, 2020, 12:21 AM [ in reply to Re: O Line depth rant. And it's a fair criticism IMO ]

Those players at UGA want to play in the NFL. If they come to Clemson they won’t get developed into NFL offensive linemen. Get us a coach who can recruit and develop offensive linemen and those guys will come to Clemson.

Nov 28, 2020, 8:28 PM

Parks needs to be starting, he’s one of best five. They need to do some shuffling. Maybe Carman, Bockhorst, Trotter, McFadden, Parks?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 28, 2020, 8:31 PM

And therein lies the problem: Parks is a true tackle. Who would you move to the interior? I don't have the answer.

Screw Calford.

Nov 28, 2020, 8:42 PM

Putnam may be playing a year too early. He’s athletic and will probably be a great one next year. He just doesn’t seem to have the mass to just move a defensive tackle yet. I don’t think we are good at center.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 28, 2020, 8:54 PM

Agree, twice in the last 3 cycles, w/ few ships left, 2 months or less till SD & we decide then to use 1 of the last couple scholarships on an OL-a position of need, on a fringe player-arguably walk-on level

Nov 28, 2020, 8:55 PM

its a fair criticism...we need to do a better job recruiting at that position

Nov 28, 2020, 9:00 PM

Agreed, O Line is is a liability. Hurt Travis's draft stock more than it helped.

Caldwell needs to go... development is horrible and he can't recruit for s**t. Still amazes me how he somehow lost Tristan Leigh who many considered a lock for many months.

Anyone who believes otherwise is lying to themselves.

Nov 28, 2020, 9:06 PM

Go away!!!
What kind of person complains about things in the midst of a historical run.
The team blows out their opponent and the senior class goes undefeated at home.
Oh yeah have you been around the last 5 years!!!
Good stinking grief!!!
Be happy!

Nov 28, 2020, 9:09 PM

I think it's very reasonable! O-line is doing ETN's draft stock no favors!

Nov 28, 2020, 9:32 PM

Etienne's stock has actually improved. He leads all cfb backs in receiving yards this year. That is a huge weapon to have in today's NFL.

Nov 28, 2020, 9:36 PM [ in reply to Re: O Line depth rant. And it's a fair criticism IMO ]

I think it’s fair to point out the obvious weakness. We have HAD a good run. If we want it to continue, we need to keep up with other elite programs on the OL.

Nov 28, 2020, 9:52 PM [ in reply to Re: O Line depth rant. And it's a fair criticism IMO ]

Yes, we are in the midst of a historic run. No one is complaining. Just a good discussion. A much needed discussion. Every other position on our team, we reload, not have to rebuild. As op's have said, if you're being honest without orange colored glasses, if we played in the SEC, we wouldn't be in the cfp. Not if we were playing against good-great dlines week in and week out.

Got a couple cousins that played college oline and they tell me we have problems. Have good development players on our scout team that move up except for oline. They tell me we'll recruit a couple great recruits each cycle but the rest of the recruits for oline is a big drop off. So all it takes is one or both of those good yearly recruits to A. Get injured, or B. Never develop.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No...a discussion isn't needed

Nov 28, 2020, 10:01 PM

What's a rant going to accomplish? Can you do something about it? Can you?

Five straight years of playoff-caliber teams and yet there are folks who think this is X-Box and a reset button will fix all. Good Lowered...I shouldn't sip bourbon and read posts! Dumb of me!

Enjoy the freaking game, for crying out loud! Hasn't 2020 challenged enough for all of us?

Message was edited by: Salty55®

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It was good to see some of the yunguns in the game pretty

Nov 29, 2020, 12:28 PM

early yesterday. Rotating in and out to keep some experience on the field as well. Will be interesting to see the snap counts from yesterday. We seem to have ended up with a bunch leaving in one year this year. We had developed a second string, but when they are all starters, the next group is GREEN. Maybe the later we go the better both first and second string will be when it matters!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 45
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic