Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
So here we are at the end of the regular season
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 1,516

So here we are at the end of the regular season

Nov 30, 2018, 10:05 AM

The committee has 25 teams ranked and there sits a top 8 that could do this:

Bama/TCU
Clemson/Michigan
ND/OSU
UGA/Oklahoma

But in order to maintain these idiotic “conference championship” games, we will instead see #1 play #4 while the other contenders play teams with 3-5 losses, and one sits idle. And these are postseason games! We don’t need conf champ games! Is Pitt really ACC champ if they somehow beat us? Sure, I guess but so what? Means something to Pitt I’m sure but not to college football. Sick of pretending these “Championship Weekend” games have any value. We can crown conf champs on reg season and tiebreakers like we used to.

Put the top 8 into playoff format based on seeding. It’s better football. Stupid having them play these random postseason games before final selection.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ask OU, Ohio State, and UGa...

Nov 30, 2018, 10:09 AM

how important their game is this weekend.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: Ask OU, Ohio State, and UGa...

Nov 30, 2018, 10:25 AM

Pretty fair too. UGA plays #1 Bama while the teams sitting in wait to replace them play teams outside the top 10 with no chance at playoffs. And ND sits home.

Re: So here we are at the end of the regular season

Nov 30, 2018, 10:09 AM

Without these "worthless" games Clemson would not be playing for its 4th consecutive ACC title tomorrow night. We would have lost the tiebreaker to Miami last year simply because they beat Syracuse and we did not.

Pardon me if I still care about Clemson winning championships. Not every game has to have national relevance to matter.

Nov 30, 2018, 10:22 AM

Didn’t realize we would have lost tie break to Miami. But still, we’re talking what’s better football, not just what’s good for our team in a specific year or situation. Honestly we shouldn’t have lost to Syr is how objectivity would view that.

You cannot settle unbalanced conference schedules

Nov 30, 2018, 10:29 AM

Without the conference championship games.

The real culprit here is the mega-conference structure we've gone to over the past few decades that doesn't allow for balanced conference schedules. In a perfect world I would much prefer going back to 9 (10 max) team conferences where everyone plays each other in the regular season every year, but that ship has long since sailed.

But, being where we are, the championship games are a necessity.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not sure I agree with that. I love college football, but I

Nov 30, 2018, 10:30 AM [ in reply to Re: So here we are at the end of the regular season ]

LOVE Clemson! I'm not going to be more worried about the overall national product over my team. If it puts Clemson in a better position or place, then I am for it.

Agree, but

Nov 30, 2018, 10:37 AM

You don’t build better football by looking at what’s best for your favorite team in a given year. If there was a dominant #1 Miami and us sitting at 4 having to play them while OU and OSU sat perched to knock us out by beating #14 and #21 I’d be p!ssed. The problems in this system will work against a worthy Tiger team at some point.

Not necessarily.....

Nov 30, 2018, 10:56 AM

it depends on who we lost to. If we had lost to Syracuse or Pitt like the last 2 years, I might be a little upset that we didn't get in, but we had our chance and didn't take care of business. At the end of the day, every Power 5 team has the same chance to make CFP. Win your games and you're in. Quite simple. Once you lose a game, you put your fate in the hands of others, whether they are in your conference or not. Every game matters.

Re: Agree, but

Nov 30, 2018, 11:05 AM [ in reply to Agree, but ]

I hear you but from a non-Clemson point of view why should #1 Miami have to beat us twice to prove they are the best. Beating us in December only to have to do it again would not please Clemson fans in a role reversal.

This debate in turning into "what is more entertaining" instead of trying to eliminate teams to find a national champion.

Good point.

Nov 30, 2018, 11:17 AM

If UGA manages the upset of Bama, they get in but so does Bama. So you beat them in postseason and they’re still not eliminated. You possibly have to beat them twice in the postseason. This is unique to FBS college football.

I'm not sold on that being true

Nov 30, 2018, 11:29 AM

I'd hate the precedent it would set if Bama gets in after a loss to UGA.

At the end of the day my real problem with this current system is the notion that we have a committee that has, in my estimation, the wrong mission. "Best" team is simply a speculative opinion that leaves in the system entirely too much opinion and bias (again, in my opinion).

Bama looks to be a dang good team this year. I agree. Most folks would agree they are 1 of the top 4 teams (at bare minimum) this year, and a loss to UGA probably doesn't stop that opinion. But now that the postseason has started why should they get a pass on losing a game? Say they have an off day and lose to UGA, most folks would still agree they are a top 4 team (just a team that had a bad day), but having a bad day and losing your conference championship game should matter.

I'd like to stop trying to identify the 4 "best" teams and instead come up with a win and get in system which doesn't discount what happens on the scoreboard.

Not sure that's really possible with the monstrosity of uneven super-conferences we've built, but a man can dream.

Absolutely. This “best teams” is subjective

Nov 30, 2018, 12:01 PM

Bama is one of the four “best teams” I’m sure. And maybe the best. But this is postseason. You should have to get it done on the field in postseason. Make it clear that losing a championship game will eliminate you. Then if you lose, you are out because you didn’t get it done. You don’t get away with losing a semifinal. Not much different really.

Nov 30, 2018, 10:33 AM [ in reply to Re: So here we are at the end of the regular season ]

This is an off year. Our other 3 conference championships have been against relevant teams and 2 of the 3 would have resulted in the winner possibly getting in to the playoff even if it wasn't us.

One off year doesn't mean trash the system. It means trash the divisions who couldn't supply a team to make the game count.

I would also argue that for the conferences who have no shot to make the playoff the game is even bigger because it's the last truly meaningful game they will play this season. It is also their only chance to win a championship this year. Doing away with title games would have to be for all FBS conferences. The meaningless game problem only affects 3 of the 10 FBS conferences.

This is what I can get behind more.....

Nov 30, 2018, 10:59 AM

scrap the divisions and have every conference play their best 2 in the conf champ game. Then you will have much clearer idea of who the best 4 teams are. This year, there really just isn't a 4th deserving team, or true 4th best team. Sorry, I'm just not buying UGA this year. They lost to a "good" LSU team and the other East teams are not great teams. They benefited this year from their schedule.

Replies: 14
| visibility 1,516
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic