Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Not concerned about how the media experts rank recruiting
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 2
| visibility 1

Not concerned about how the media experts rank recruiting

Feb 8, 2018, 2:38 PM

Why would I think they can accurately predict the impact high school players will have on college programs when they can't even come close to predicting in August (after 1-3 years of watching players perform in college and following spring and summer practices that same year) how college teams will perform in the Fall?

2017 Preseason Top 25 had 9 teams that finished unranked (and only 1 of those even got some votes), including #3 FSU and #11 Michigan. For comparison, FSU finished #6 in the ACC Atlantic and Michigan finished #4 in the Big 10 East. Also, UGA was pre-season #15. Tennessee was #25 and finished 4-8 (0-8 and dead last in SEC). Florida was #17 and finished 4-7 (5th in SEC East).

At the end of the season, Central Florida was #6, Miss St was #19, and Memphis was #25. None of these teams even got a single AP vote. That's basically saying none of them were ranked in the top 44 pre-season. Central Florida had four first place votes at the end of the season, but didn't have a single vote in the AP or Coach's poll and just about every team gets at least one vote in the Coach's Poll (basically the top 61 pre-season).

Just like a pre-season top 25 poll, it's the most popular teams that get favored and the popular high schools whose players get noticed and ranked higher. A player's ranking improves if certain teams recruit him, so of course those schools will have the best recruits. As I say this, I also admit that Clemson is starting to get that favortism from the media with our recent success, but we also have a great track record in developing 2, 3 and 4 star (or 0 and 1 star) talent and have spots vacated by 3 and 4 star talent when they realize they aren't going to get playing time behind the new stars coming in. Also, to me, the talent that remained in school instead of heading to the NFL is like getting another handful of 6 star athletes for next year.

With all that said, it's still nice to see seven 5 star recruits coming to Clemson. I still remember when CJ Spiller announced he was choosing Clemson and thought we were on top of the world.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We got everything...

Feb 8, 2018, 2:42 PM

our coaches wanted and more than we need to make the playoff again and again. If the recruiting services were as good as they'd like us to believe they wouldn't be writing for a living they'd be recruiting.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Not concerned about how the media experts rank recruiting

Feb 8, 2018, 2:54 PM

services look at how a player is rated. they dont project how he fits the need of the team he is going to. a 5 star is not all that helpful if there isnt a position where he can play and contribute on his new team

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 2
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic